• Installation Without Grub

I have done this before on other computers but now I am having problems. Usually, I triple boot Windows 8.1, Ubuntu & Antergos without installing Grub, letting Ubuntu control all three OS’s. Cnchi wants a root partition and efi partition. Has something changed with the new installer causing an issue like this where my computer is completely unbootable? I was able to restore Ubuntu Grub but Windows would not boot. Further, Antergos would not boot (this a first for me).

Further, Cnchi seemed to corrupt my Windows file system so it was troubling. I only use Windows 10% of the day for work but I must have it. I prefer Antergos but it now seems to be a problem. As I said I had a full backup to restore my computer! I like Ubuntu on my computers so if something goes wrong with Antergos, I have a fall back distro until I have time to fix the issues with Antergos.

Thanks for any help.

• I have done this before on other computers but now I am having problems. Usually, I triple boot Windows 8.1, Ubuntu & Antergos without installing Grub, letting Ubuntu control all three OS’s. Cnchi wants a root partition and efi partition. Has something changed with the new installer causing an issue like this where my computer is completely unbootable? I was able to restore Ubuntu Grub but Windows would not boot. Further, Antergos would not boot (this a first for me).

Further, Cnchi seemed to corrupt my Windows file system so it was troubling. I only use Windows 10% of the day for work but I must have it. I prefer Antergos but it now seems to be a problem. As I said I had a full backup to restore my computer! I like Ubuntu on my computers so if something goes wrong with Antergos, I have a fall back distro until I have time to fix the issues with Antergos.

Thanks for any help.

• Hi,

It should allow you to “opt out” of bootloader installation. Was that not the case? If you could post the installer log that would be helpful. It would be located in /var/log on the installed system.

Best Regards,

• @“lots.0.logs”:djhlhoj0 said:

Hi,

It should allow you to “opt out” of bootloader installation. Was that not the case? If you could post the installer log that would be helpful. It would be located in /var/log on the installed system.

Best Regards,[/quote:djhlhoj0]
    I just restored my computer with the backup I had. I haven’t had a chance to try installing Antergos or anything else since then. I know it has worked for me in the past with the “opt out” option for Grub, which is what I did. Unfortunately, nothing would boot thereafter.

I failed to mention that when I went into my BIOS, the Windows Installer was listed as a boot option. When I put that first in the boot order, the Antergos Grub (which I opted out of during installation) popped up with Ubuntu as a second option but no Windows. Somehow the efi partition became corrupted, I think.

I tried to rebuild the Windows Bootrec, refresh Windows and access the Recovery Partition, but those options didn’t work and I was back to nothing but a blank screen. I guess, the efi partition became corrupted somehow.

Posts 4Views 1725