• Black screen and no login screen

I installed Antergos 2015.1.11 32bit on a dual boot. Problem is that I get a black screen instead of a login screen after having rebooted a few times.
    Installation itself is no problem, although I found that the adwaita icons file was/is corrupted, but that is a differnt issue I think.

After installation I can log out and reboot without problem, but after having installed additional software through pacman and pacmanXP, or just because, I get a black screen, only showing the curser. Grub works fine. I can log into my other two partitions. I am using the default 3.17 kernel.

I have reinstalled the same version with Xfce, KDE and Cinnamon but get the same error. I have even re-downloaded the 2015.1.11 version twice to see if there was a problem with the download… Hardware should not be a problem with i5, 4G Ram.

thx

Never to old to learn.

• I installed Antergos 2015.1.11 32bit on a dual boot. Problem is that I get a black screen instead of a login screen after having rebooted a few times.
    Installation itself is no problem, although I found that the adwaita icons file was/is corrupted, but that is a differnt issue I think.

After installation I can log out and reboot without problem, but after having installed additional software through pacman and pacmanXP, or just because, I get a black screen, only showing the curser. Grub works fine. I can log into my other two partitions. I am using the default 3.17 kernel.

I have reinstalled the same version with Xfce, KDE and Cinnamon but get the same error. I have even re-downloaded the 2015.1.11 version twice to see if there was a problem with the download… Hardware should not be a problem with i5, 4G Ram.

thx

Never to old to learn.

• Hi,

It sounds like a lightdm/antergos theme problem to me. Have you tried installing another display manager? (gdm for instance)

I know it might be difficult, but what did you install after the installation? (if you don’t know, you can grab the pacman log).

Thanks!

• I think I found the problem.
    The crash happens after installing ‘ibus’. To be sure I tried to instal ibus in the32bit and 64bit version inside a virtual machine. Both show the same problem. After installing ibus I get a black screen with only the mouse cursor after logging out.

Therefore I do not think it is a DM problem but it has something to do with ibus.

Never to old to learn.

• There is an other problem that may or may not be related to the ibus issue. When I wanted to install ibus in the first place I got an error related to the Adwaita icons. The same error occured when trying to install the Cinnamon desktop. Opening the Adwaita icons folder I realized it was corrupt and did not contain all the icons. A work around was to rename the folder. After that I could install ibus files and Cinnamon. It did not solve the ibus bug though. The default Adwaita folder after install only contains the cursors folder.

I got this bug twice with freshly downloaded and installed Antergos 2015.1.11

Never to old to learn.

• Last update:

I could not get the lightdm/Antergos theme to work together with ibus.
    I decided to install Arch, using lightdm and the Antergos greeter and it works perfectly with ibus.

Conclusion: It looks like there is a bug in the Antergos .iso that causes lightdm/Antergos and ibus to crash when installed together.

I’m wondering if anybody else has experienced the same problem. I tried the install several times, including fresh downloads, in Virtualbox as direct install on HDD. All had the same bug…

Never to old to learn.

• Hi,

We’re well aware of the issue.

[url:136yzq4w]https://github.com/Antergos/lightdm-webkit-theme-antergos/issues/10[/url:136yzq4w]

It’s lightdm-webkit-greeter related. Thankfully we have an upgraded version of this component (we have ported it to webkit2 from webkit1). I do not know why there’s nobody interested in this component anymore, everybody (other distros) seems happy with version 1 or they use the lightdm-gtk3-greeter one.

We haven’t released it yet because we want to do some tests (to say the truth I haven’t convinced lots.0.logs that it’s bug free to release it)

The code is here: [url:136yzq4w]https://github.com/Antergos/lightdm-webkit2-greeter[/url:136yzq4w] and the PKGBUILD is here: [url:136yzq4w]https://github.com/Antergos/antergos-packages/blob/master/lightdm-webkit2-greeter/PKGBUILD[/url:136yzq4w]

If you need ibus you can install simply install GDM (or KDM if you’re using KDE).

I’m really sorry for this inconvenience.

• I really liked Antergos and will surely install it again. Ibus did indeed work well with lxdm.
    Keep up the great work!

Never to old to learn.

Posts 8Views 6107