• Browsers, Y U so memory hog?

Why are these mainstream browsers so big memory hog?

I use Opera on daily basis for mainly two reasons

• Its fast. Opera turbo actually makes difference, if you are on slow internet connection.
    • Smoothest of all the browsers I’ve used till date.

But still, I’m concerned about everything that eats up more memory than its supposed to.
    Its not just about opera, chrom(e,ium) and firefox are great RAM predators too.

Opera + 4tabs open (no flash/extensions/video playing) = ~350MB (always smooth, fast)
    Firefox + same 4 tabs (same conditions) = ~250MB (bad net speed)
    Epiphany + same 4 tabs (same conditions) = ~20MB (Sluggish, quite vulnerable to crashes)

I dont use chromium but its heavier than all three ^ (don’t exactly remember the numbers)
    Chrome? hah! more like "Give me all your RAM
    Thats expected as google devs don’t know the meaning of ‘efficient coding’.

All the stupid chrome shit applies to opera as well because for some stupid reason, they ditched their awesome presto engine in favor of google’s webkit (now Blink).
    Old opera(with presto) + 4 same tabs (No shit) = ~125MB (No sluggishness, never used to crash)

Wow, now I cant even remember what question I wanted to ask with this topic xD

Any browser suggestions? :/
    Ah and Could anyone of you guys go out and sue mozilla for not bringing their [servo engine[/url:1m07936c] to desktops?

I was also gonna request devs to add pepper-flash to their repo, just realized its there already. Thanks!

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• Why are these mainstream browsers so big memory hog?

I use Opera on daily basis for mainly two reasons

• Its fast. Opera turbo actually makes difference, if you are on slow internet connection.
    • Smoothest of all the browsers I’ve used till date.

But still, I’m concerned about everything that eats up more memory than its supposed to.
    Its not just about opera, chrom(e,ium) and firefox are great RAM predators too.

Opera + 4tabs open (no flash/extensions/video playing) = ~350MB (always smooth, fast)
    Firefox + same 4 tabs (same conditions) = ~250MB (bad net speed)
    Epiphany + same 4 tabs (same conditions) = ~20MB (Sluggish, quite vulnerable to crashes)

I dont use chromium but its heavier than all three ^ (don’t exactly remember the numbers)
    Chrome? hah! more like "Give me all your RAM
    Thats expected as google devs don’t know the meaning of ‘efficient coding’.

All the stupid chrome shit applies to opera as well because for some stupid reason, they ditched their awesome presto engine in favor of google’s webkit (now Blink).
    Old opera(with presto) + 4 same tabs (No shit) = ~125MB (No sluggishness, never used to crash)

Wow, now I cant even remember what question I wanted to ask with this topic xD

Ah and Could anyone of you guys go out and sue mozilla for not bringing their [servo engine[/url:1m07936c] to desktops?

I was also gonna request devs to add pepper-flash to their repo, just realized its there already. Thanks!

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• @“Yash”:2gdk18oq said:

[/quote:2gdk18oq]
    It depends :p You want to use as little as posiboll RAM, right?

Did You ever try Midori? Default XFCE web browser.

I don’t have any information, but I believe, that most memory consuming thing in webbrowser is it’s engine, so Chrom(e|ium) and Opera will have similiar performance, as well as all webkit-based browsers. Am I correct?

If You want to build QT-only desktop, Otter ([url:2gdk18oq]http://otter-browser.org/[/url:2gdk18oq]) will be best choice. It’s target is to create “Old” Opera equivalent with Mail, IRC, Torrent, Calendar, Themes, configuration for power users and all other stuff using QT. In final version it will have ability to use one of many backend (Gecko, Webkit, Blink and others).

Posts 3Views 963