• \[SOLVED\] jar files with double click

HI! I usually open .jar file with:

java -jar ilename.jar

but I find it so boring.
    I would like to open .jar files just with double click as for the other files.
    How can I set up my system to do that?

I tried to look at the menu “open with” but I cannot find any voice about java.

Thank you.

• HI! I usually open .jar file with:

java -jar ilename.jar

but I find it so boring.
    I would like to open .jar files just with double click as for the other files.
    How can I set up my system to do that?

I tried to look at the menu “open with” but I cannot find any voice about java.

Thank you.

• on ubuntu/debian ive been able to do this but never been able to on arch. not sure why.

• Interesting, seems there is no desktop file with the openjdk package.

This is how I solved in Gnome -

1 - create file /usr/share/applications/java.desktop

In it, paste the below. It may not be perfect, I just wrote this as I went -

[Desktop Entry]
    Name=OpenJDK
    Comment=Java Application Launcher
    Exec=/usr/bin/java -jar %f
    Icon=java
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    NoDisplay=true
    Categories=Utility
    MimeType=application/x-java-archive;

2 - In Files/Nautilus, right click a jar and click properties. On the ‘open with’ tab, click Reset at the bottom - I had to do this to get OpenJDK to then show up. Then select OpenJDK, and click Set as Default.

• i might try that out axaxs im in openbox hopefully it works the same. i dont really mind running in the terminal because you can just press up on the keyboard and get recent commands. so not like i have to type it out every time.

• If this does not help, maybe create just a “start.sh” with the code in it and put it on desktop - like I did for the Minecraft launcher.

• @“axaxs”:1678kuca said:

Interesting, seems there is no desktop file with the openjdk package.

This is how I solved in Gnome -

1 - create file /usr/share/applications/java.desktop

In it, paste the below. It may not be perfect, I just wrote this as I went -

[Desktop Entry]
    Name=OpenJDK
    Comment=Java Application Launcher
    Exec=/usr/bin/java -jar %f
    Icon=java
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    NoDisplay=true
    Categories=Utility
    MimeType=application/x-java-archive;

2 - In Files/Nautilus, right click a jar and click properties. On the ‘open with’ tab, click Reset at the bottom - I had to do this to get OpenJDK to then show up. Then select OpenJDK, and click Set as Default.[/quote:1678kuca]

Thank you very much. It does work!!!

Posts 7Views 3279
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.