• Some little hang

Hello, i’m new both on antergos and this forum. I installed a J1900 Intel machine (with 4gb ram and an ssd disk with) a standard gnome installation using graphical tool. All works fine, on shell, playing video or running some opengl game (something old or with low detail). With browsers i have some strange hang, both firefox or chromium: on sites that have many animations or gif (like 9gag.com) the system sometime hang for half second (seem freezed). The same when i one menus with some items like system applications (like is loading something but hd is stopped). On Ubuntu i have no issue.
    There is something i can check? Suggestion on how to investigate this event?
    Thanks all!

• Hello, i’m new both on antergos and this forum. I installed a J1900 Intel machine (with 4gb ram and an ssd disk with) a standard gnome installation using graphical tool. All works fine, on shell, playing video or running some opengl game (something old or with low detail). With browsers i have some strange hang, both firefox or chromium: on sites that have many animations or gif (like 9gag.com) the system sometime hang for half second (seem freezed). The same when i one menus with some items like system applications (like is loading something but hd is stopped). On Ubuntu i have no issue.
    There is something i can check? Suggestion on how to investigate this event?
    Thanks all!

• Do you have a AMD gpu?

Is your Antergos i686 or x86_64?

Also, how well does the lightweight epiphany(Gnome Webbrowser) handle heavy webpages on your system?

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• Is an intel j1900 ([http://ark.intel.com/it/products/78867/Intel-Celeron-Processor-J1900-2M-Cache-up-to-2_42-GHz][0]">[http://ark.intel.com/it/products/78867/][1] … o-2_42-GHz) 64bit.
    With epiphany the issue is smaller but is present.

Thanks for your suggestion.

P.S. The video system it the on chip adapter.

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: http://ark.intel.com/it/products/78867/

• Definitely the problem is with the drivers.
    and I don’t know which one your system needs.

I’d recommend you to install and use Opera browser. It handles load better.

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• I’ll tri opera, for drivers any suggestion on the investigation method?

• Some little more info, when i see this freeze i see rcu_preempt that work, maybe some kernel parameter?

• @“bluescreen”:30obpayg said:

I’ll tri opera, for drivers any suggestion on the investigation method?[/quote:30obpayg]

IDk :/ You’d have to figure out that yourself

You may use some program like cpu-g to know your system better then find the appropriate graphic drivers.
    But I don’t really think there would be any alternate graphic driver for your ‘onboard-graphixcs’

I guess you’d have to move back to one of those distros where your system feels more ‘home’.

Yes, there are chances of kernel making the difference but I have myself noticed that opensource graphic drivers tend to perform better on non-arch systems. IDK why

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• You may use some program like cpu-g to know your system better then find the appropriate graphic drivers.

Intel i915 is the driver; i use lshw -c video, cpu-g say something more?

I guess you’d have to move back to one of those distros where your system feels more ‘home’.

No way
    I don’t think there is something in the linux “market” better then this. First time i feel a distro refined like this, Ubuntu fell like a patchwork.

I have myself noticed that opensource graphic drivers tend to perform better on non-arch systems

Some theory about this?

Thanks for your time.

• @“bluescreen”:2i4m3au2 said:

cpu-g say something more?[/quote:2i4m3au2]
    Nope, I dont think so.

@“bluescreen”:2i4m3au2 said:

First time i feel a distro refined like this, Ubuntu fell like a patchwork.[/quote:2i4m3au2]
    Indeed it feels like patchwork and a very bloated distro. But thats what makes it support few systems more smoothly than arch. Your system is an example. and so was mine, few months ago.
    Yeah getting rid of PPAs is the best feeling!

@“bluescreen”:2i4m3au2 said:

@“yash”:2i4m3au2 said:

I have myself noticed that opensource graphic drivers tend to perform better on non-arch systems[/quote:2i4m3au2]
    Some theory about this?[/quote:2i4m3au2]
    No theory, only personal experience. When I first moved to arch, the opensource drivers didn’t work. They did show me my desktop but It had a horrible rendering issue. After every 3seconds, the screen used to freeze for 5seconds and then used to work for 3secs and then 5secs freeze… This was obviously unusable, so as I am a AMD user, I installed the proprietary AMD drivers and then I could use my Arch+Gnome desktop.
    Although, the opensource graphic drivers work smoothly now. But they used to run smoothly on Ubuntu, Fedora back then as well.

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• I thank you for your time again, have a nice New Year!

• Another thing you could try is linux-bfs in the aur (it’s the linux kernel patched with BFS and BFQ, which should improve responsiveness).

Also, I usually put the following lines in /etc/sysctl.d/99-sysctl.conf (needs rebooting):

# reduce swap usage
    vm.swappiness = 10
    vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 50

# default 5 seconds, increases the writeback timeout to 10 secs
    vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 1000

Posts 12Views 2247