• Radeon HD 6310 / live works / installed fails

Hi,

I just installed [i:3qnbc1km]antergos-2014.08.07-i686.iso[/i:3qnbc1km] on a [i:3qnbc1km]Thinkpad 540[/i:3qnbc1km] and everything works right out of the box (as far as I have checked). So I also tried to upgrade my [i:3qnbc1km]Lenovo x121e[/i:3qnbc1km] netbook (from [i:3qnbc1km]Crunchbang/Debian Wheezy[/i:3qnbc1km]) to have the same system on my both of my laptops.

On the [i:3qnbc1km]x121e[/i:3qnbc1km] I did not have any problems with the grafic card, which is a [i:3qnbc1km]Radeon HD 6310[/i:3qnbc1km]. It also ran okay starting [i:3qnbc1km]Antergos[/i:3qnbc1km] from iso installed on a usb stick. Now having installed it, the grafic card performs very, very poorely, showing huge black artefacts and slow or almost unusable rendering of desktop elements.

I tried several optimization tipps listed e.g. in [url:3qnbc1km]https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI[/url:3qnbc1km] without any effect. Up to now I did not try to install the proprietary driver (catalyst) driver as

1. the card did obviously work with the oss driver for [i:3qnbc1km]ati/amd radeon[/i:3qnbc1km] (under [i:3qnbc1km]Crunchbang/Debian Wheezy[/i:3qnbc1km])
    2. the card works running the [i:3qnbc1km]Antergos[/i:3qnbc1km] live systems

Is there a chance to find out and set up the configuration which the live systems has?

I do not have clue, what I can do to 1. find out, what goes wrong and 2. to set up the card in order to regain the performance it had.

Martin

• Hi,

I just installed [i:3qnbc1km]antergos-2014.08.07-i686.iso[/i:3qnbc1km] on a [i:3qnbc1km]Thinkpad 540[/i:3qnbc1km] and everything works right out of the box (as far as I have checked). So I also tried to upgrade my [i:3qnbc1km]Lenovo x121e[/i:3qnbc1km] netbook (from [i:3qnbc1km]Crunchbang/Debian Wheezy[/i:3qnbc1km]) to have the same system on my both of my laptops.

On the [i:3qnbc1km]x121e[/i:3qnbc1km] I did not have any problems with the grafic card, which is a [i:3qnbc1km]Radeon HD 6310[/i:3qnbc1km]. It also ran okay starting [i:3qnbc1km]Antergos[/i:3qnbc1km] from iso installed on a usb stick. Now having installed it, the grafic card performs very, very poorely, showing huge black artefacts and slow or almost unusable rendering of desktop elements.

I tried several optimization tipps listed e.g. in [url:3qnbc1km]https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI[/url:3qnbc1km] without any effect. Up to now I did not try to install the proprietary driver (catalyst) driver as

1. the card did obviously work with the oss driver for [i:3qnbc1km]ati/amd radeon[/i:3qnbc1km] (under [i:3qnbc1km]Crunchbang/Debian Wheezy[/i:3qnbc1km])
    2. the card works running the [i:3qnbc1km]Antergos[/i:3qnbc1km] live systems

Is there a chance to find out and set up the configuration which the live systems has?

I do not have clue, what I can do to 1. find out, what goes wrong and 2. to set up the card in order to regain the performance it had.

Martin

• Just a quick update on my own post. Tried to optimise the driver via conf-file (see: [url:1f2rhwnw]https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI#Performance_tuning[/url:1f2rhwnw]). No changes. I have been trying to install the proprietary driver. This went wrong for different reasons (I could start to describe but I still believe that’s the wrong way anyway. I am sure the oss driver should be sufficient, see below).

Did install a Manjaro distribution. Obviously the same driver is at work. Everything is alright. Alas… I’d really like to use Antergos to get more aquainted with Arch and nevertheless enjoy the much more easy installation and great configuration of Antergos. (By the way: Thanks a lot for the work that has been done on this distribution!)

Any hints, what I could try? If it helps I certainly can give some more information about hardware and software. But right now I do not know how to start. Seems to be only a minor problem with big effects…

Martin

• Hi Martin,

We both have AMD hardware and your problem seems to be quite close to mine.

The difference is in my case, even the live session is unusable. Horrible rendering, seriously!
    (RADEON HD6480G + HD7450M hybrid graphics user here)

BTW did you ‘just’ install the antergos-2014.08.07-i686.iso in your thinkpad? I mean just few days ago?
    Cnchi installer in that version stopped working MONTHS ago. (Unless you follow this [workaround[/url:1x3lfwv6])

Another question, what processor does your Lenovo x121e run on?

Back on the topic, yes, the opensource drivers don’t work well for some AMD GPUs. You HAVE to install the proprietary drivers if you are one of us unlucky AMD users.
    and don’t just install it from the AUR, install it with the pacman.conf method.

If the opensource drivers rendering problem is annoying you too much, then just do it in a new session, in CLI. (Just press Ctrl+Alt+F2).
    (You can go back to the main session. By Ctrl+Alt+F1)

The problem is only on Arch! I’ve never encountered such problem on anyother distro that I’ve tried(Namely Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, Deepin & even Gentoo) This is only in Arch. Weird, but this is it.

On the ISO side, although the downlod page shows the latest version as antergos-2014.08.07-i686.iso the actual latest (stable) version is 2014.12.04 Which you can download from [Here[/url:1x3lfwv6]

On that page, the 2014.12.04 versions(i686, x86_64) are stable ones, rest are testing ISOs.

Cheers!]1]0

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• Hi Yash,

well, thanks for you feedback. It helped a lot. I did download and install [i:2ziab8dg]antergos-2014.12.19-x86_64[/i:2ziab8dg] (I later reread your post and saw, you recommended to take the 19.04-release, being the candidate for the next stable release). The (graphic) installer complained about a date string in wrong format, which I solved in choosing Englisch instead of German, then everything worked and seemingly the problem has been solved;) The oss graphic driver for my Radeon now seems properly configured.

By the way, yes I installed Antergos (I think it was a testing release from August) a few days ago and - believe it or not - the installer worked like charm. I did not know about the necessary workaround and obviously it wasn’t necessary at all.

The Lenovo x121e has a AMD E-350 Pocessor. It’s kind of slow, so I will probably not use Gnome but Openbox.

Thanks again for your answer and help
    Martin

• I’m glad it helped.

After reading your reply, I myself downloaded one of the december ISOs and surprisingly it works! finally! I can install Antergos! xD
    Thanks, Mate!

@“marty”:1h54ehqi said:

The Lenovo x121e has a AMD E-350 Pocessor[/quote:1h54ehqi]
    Hmm, so, I guess only people with AMD CPU + AMD GPU systems faced this problem.

Yash

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

Posts 6Views 1487