• \[SOLVED - sort of\] Ibus installation gives blank graphical login screen

OK, I have been around and around with this and am ready to ask for help!

Installed Antergos about a week ago and most everything is working great - fantastic way to get an Arch based distro up and running quickly.

I have need of writing in Chinese and English. I am using Gnome (with lightdm and lightdm-webkit-greeter), fully updated. The Arch Wiki on ibus says that ibus will be installed if you have Gnome but that doesn’t seem to apply to Antergos - at least it wasn’t installed when I finished my base install. I installed the East Asian font packs that I am used to using with other distros and used the Regions and Language setting tool to add Chinese as an input method - still no go. Now I have a nice little drop down in my upper panel which allows switching from English to Chinese but still won’t allow Chinese input. I can render Chinese materials on the web or in emails/documents with no problems but still can’t write. I decided I needed to install ibus manually.

First, I generated the proper locale with locale-gen ([url:wtn6jk1t]https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Locale[/url:wtn6jk1t]) and followed the [url:wtn6jk1t]https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IBus#Installation[/url:wtn6jk1t] Arch Wiki to install Ibus and ibus-libpinyin. Followed through with the suggested changes to .bashrc.

When I try logging out and logging back in the graphical login screen is blank. The only way to recover (that I have found) is to go to a different virtual terminal and

pacman -R ibus ibus-libpinyin

Any suggestions for getting this to work are appreciated. Surely Chinese input is possible with Antergos!?!

thomas

• OK, I have been around and around with this and am ready to ask for help!

Installed Antergos about a week ago and most everything is working great - fantastic way to get an Arch based distro up and running quickly.

I have need of writing in Chinese and English. I am using Gnome (with lightdm and lightdm-webkit-greeter), fully updated. The Arch Wiki on ibus says that ibus will be installed if you have Gnome but that doesn’t seem to apply to Antergos - at least it wasn’t installed when I finished my base install. I installed the East Asian font packs that I am used to using with other distros and used the Regions and Language setting tool to add Chinese as an input method - still no go. Now I have a nice little drop down in my upper panel which allows switching from English to Chinese but still won’t allow Chinese input. I can render Chinese materials on the web or in emails/documents with no problems but still can’t write. I decided I needed to install ibus manually.

First, I generated the proper locale with locale-gen ([url:wtn6jk1t]https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Locale[/url:wtn6jk1t]) and followed the [url:wtn6jk1t]https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IBus#Installation[/url:wtn6jk1t] Arch Wiki to install Ibus and ibus-libpinyin. Followed through with the suggested changes to .bashrc.

When I try logging out and logging back in the graphical login screen is blank. The only way to recover (that I have found) is to go to a different virtual terminal and

pacman -R ibus ibus-libpinyin

Any suggestions for getting this to work are appreciated. Surely Chinese input is possible with Antergos!?!

thomas

• More poking around lead to a work around.

Changing to gdm from lightdm allows me to install ibus and login (would prefer to use lightdm - so beautiful - but having Chinese input is more important!). Had to make sure I put the exports in a .xprofile file (as detailed in Ibus Wiki page linked above, in the Initial configuration section, under the Note).

I did find that after I got the system to allow login I still couldn’t enter Chinese characters. Running Regions and Languages and choosing Chinese (Intelligent Pinyin) rather than simply “Chinese” (the only option available before installing ibus-libpinyin) solved that problem too.

I hope this will be helpful for others using multilanguage systems!

thomas

Posts 3Views 1103