• Nvidia in terminal

First Antergos rocks and ranks right up there with the best distros, love it for it’s clean feel, now to Nvidia, I tried this once but on reboot lightdm wouldn’t start, followed the wiki procedure for terminal except I used mesa -dri instead of nouveau dri, mesa-dri is installed on my system. Why wouldn’t lightdm start after removal of nouveau and install of nvidia? Is there any real advantage to using Nvidia? I’m have the GT 620 video card and uses 343xx driver, thx in advance!

• First Antergos rocks and ranks right up there with the best distros, love it for it’s clean feel, now to Nvidia, I tried this once but on reboot lightdm wouldn’t start, followed the wiki procedure for terminal except I used mesa -dri instead of nouveau dri, mesa-dri is installed on my system. Why wouldn’t lightdm start after removal of nouveau and install of nvidia? Is there any real advantage to using Nvidia? I’m have the GT 620 video card and uses 343xx driver, thx in advance!

• Hi,

I’m sorry I can’t help with your error (without more info). What was exactly that you did to install nvidia?

The only benefit of using nvidia driver is only if you want to play some 3D games. But even then, things with nouveau are not as bad as were before, so you should use nouveau if it works for you.

Cheers!

• karasu thx for reply I’ll stay with nouveau it works fine, not into games. I followed the instructions for nvidia from Antergos wiki but couldn’t get lightdm to start so I reinstalled Antergos, thx for the help and info.

• With Arch being a rolling release, the kernel version available in the repos gets updated almost as soon as a new one is released by the kernel devs. This often causes issues for proprietary drivers because they often must be updated to remain compatible with the latest kernel changes. Instead of having the entire OSS community able to pitch in with updates like nouveau/radeon, the proprietary drivers must wait until NVIDIA or AMD find the time to do it. That’s why it’s generally better to run the OSS drivers with Arch/Antergos :-)

Cheers!

Posts 5Views 1174