• Spanish Translations and Suitability for Older Computers?

Hi All/Hola Todos,

For weeks now I have been in the process of setting up a Desktop Computer with a 32-bit Debian based distribution using LXDE.

However, translations for various applications, including Update Manager, as well as the Policy files for Policy Kit Actions have not been well maintained and in some cases not at all for various languages.

According to Distro Watch, Antergos is a distro based in Spain. Therefore, I would like to know if all Spanish translations are in place especially for System Utilities such as Update Manager and Package Manager.

There are other issues of inconsistency I have also been trying to find solutions to such as Package Management. For example, there is a package that appears as being upgradeable in Synaptic and Software Update (gnome-packagekit) but does not appear in Update Manager.

Also, the latest upgrades for some Third Party packages associated with Device and Hotplug Management do not function correctly when the latest Security Upgrades are applied.

The target computer has a Pentium P4 2.66 GHz CPU which supports PAE. It has 512MB of RAM (2 x 256MB x 333 MHz) and a 64MB Graphics Card that uses an NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 440 GPU with AGP 8X and a 40GB 7200RPM ATA133 Hard Disk.

It loads in 77MB RAM and is VERY responsive. The Login prompt is reached in 45 seconds.

Which of the versions of Antergos would be the most suitable and have a low memory footprint?

Can the Application Menu launcher be configured such that Recent Files/Recent Applications appear at the bottom and just above the menu button of the taskbar?

Do they have Graphical applets/applications for the management of Locales and Keyboard Layouts?

Thanks/Gracias y hasta pronto, Michael.

• Hi All/Hola Todos,

For weeks now I have been in the process of setting up a Desktop Computer with a 32-bit Debian based distribution using LXDE.

However, translations for various applications, including Update Manager, as well as the Policy files for Policy Kit Actions have not been well maintained and in some cases not at all for various languages.

According to Distro Watch, Antergos is a distro based in Spain. Therefore, I would like to know if all Spanish translations are in place especially for System Utilities such as Update Manager and Package Manager.

There are other issues of inconsistency I have also been trying to find solutions to such as Package Management. For example, there is a package that appears as being upgradeable in Synaptic and Software Update (gnome-packagekit) but does not appear in Update Manager.

Also, the latest upgrades for some Third Party packages associated with Device and Hotplug Management do not function correctly when the latest Security Upgrades are applied.

The target computer has a Pentium P4 2.66 GHz CPU which supports PAE. It has 512MB of RAM (2 x 256MB x 333 MHz) and a 64MB Graphics Card that uses an NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 440 GPU with AGP 8X and a 40GB 7200RPM ATA133 Hard Disk.

It loads in 77MB RAM and is VERY responsive. The Login prompt is reached in 45 seconds.

Which of the versions of Antergos would be the most suitable and have a low memory footprint?

Can the Application Menu launcher be configured such that Recent Files/Recent Applications appear at the bottom and just above the menu button of the taskbar?

Do they have Graphical applets/applications for the management of Locales and Keyboard Layouts?

Thanks/Gracias y hasta pronto, Michael.

• 1. You need to learn about basics of the linux world.
    2. You have to read the forum start page. There’s a board in your native language.

• Hi cuscotravelservices,

Antergos is slightly different.
    There’s no synaptic. Instead, antergos comes with PacmanXG. Which, IMO is better than synaptic. and you also update the packages through pacmanXG. There’s no standalone update manager.
    You don’t get update notification through PacmanXG though. So, replace PacmanXG with Octopi package manager if you want that.

Since all the developers(except one) are Spanish, I think there shouldn’t be any problem with the language. I’m not sure because I use the english version.

You don’t get to install LXDE from antergos installer(cnchi) but a (very)lightweight alternative is Openbox. Expect a pretty damn beautiful and very light weight Desktop with Openbox antergos.
    <Additional information> Openbox is the windows manager used in your LXDE desktop.

Cnchi(installer) allows you to select the locale and keyboard layout before installation. Graphically obviously.

So, All you have to do is just hope that your computer is capable enough to run the live DVD session xD after installation, there shouldn’t be any problem.

Read [this[/url:2cftq6hy] if you haven’t before installation!

Cheers!]0

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• Hi Yash,

@“Yash”:1bbk6god said:

There’s no synaptic. Instead, antergos comes with PacmanXG. Which, IMO is better than synaptic. and you also update the packages through pacmanXG. There’s no standalone update manager.
    You don’t get update notification through PacmanXG though. So, replace PacmanXG with Octopi package manager if you want that.[/quote:1bbk6god]

Octopi Notifier uses a fair bit of memory (a little less than the pacman equivalent). Is there a lightweight alternative to these that you would recommend?

Can Filters be used with PacmanXG so as to list packages which have Security updates?

Since all the developers(except one) are Spanish, I think there shouldn’t be any problem with the language. I’m not sure because I use the english version.[/quote:1bbk6god]

Thinking is not the same as actual facts. I need to know if all interfaces have been fully translated to Spanish and if not what I can do to correct them such as editing and recompiling .po files for example. The computer I’m trying to setup is not for me. The primary user will be a 9 year old and occasionally her parents. Their primary languages are Spanish and Quechua and they are not experienced computer users.

You don’t get to install LXDE from antergos installer(cnchi) but a (very)lightweight alternative is Openbox. Expect a pretty damn beautiful and very light weight Desktop with Openbox antergos.
    <Additional information> Openbox is the windows manager used in your LXDE desktop.[/quote:1bbk6god]

Does the OpenBox version have a Taskbar installed with a Start Menu or would I be able to install LXTaskbar?

Cnchi(installer) allows you to select the locale and keyboard layout before installation. Graphically obviously.[/quote:1bbk6god]

Are there graphical applets installed for managing locales and keyboard layouts after installation?

Read [this[/url:1bbk6god] if you haven’t before installation![/quote:1bbk6god]

Have the ISO problems been solved yet?

Which I/O Scheduler is being used in the latest version of Antergos?

Thanks, Michael.]0

• Hi, [email protected]“cuscotravelservices”:1lhyoyt7 said:

Octopi Notifier uses a fair bit of memory (a little less than the pacman equivalent). Is there a lightweight alternative to these that you would recommend?[/quote:1lhyoyt7]
    You may look at [yapan[/url:1lhyoyt7]. It’s nothing more than a yellow applet that sits with your wifi and stuff in notification area. You set the time(s) of day and it automatically looks for updates, turns red and gives you a notification if any update is available. Very light weight!

@“cuscotravelservices”:1lhyoyt7 said:

Can Filters be used with PacmanXG so as to list packages which have Security updates?[/quote:1lhyoyt7]
    Nah, I don’t think so. If packagekit filters updates then you may go with it, it’s also available in arch.
    Although ‘pacman -Syu base’ would update only the arch stuff(including security updates). but she’s just 9. So, you may write a script for her and tell her to “Double-click this shit, it will ask for password, enter the password then press enter twice!”

Thinking is not the same as actual facts. I need to know if all interfaces have been fully translated to Spanish and if not what I can do to correct them such as editing and recompiling .po files for example. The computer I’m trying to setup is not for me. The primary user will be a 9 year old and occasionally her parents. Their primary languages are Spanish and Quechua and they are not experienced computer users.[/quote:1lhyoyt7]
    There you go -> [Click here[/url:1lhyoyt7]
    Antergos Spanish is 99% translated ONLY TWO strings are left!

Does the OpenBox version have a Taskbar installed with a Start Menu or would I be able to install LXTaskbar?[/quote:1lhyoyt7]
    Nope. Taskbar(tint2) is there, a dock(plank) is there, but not a ‘start menu’. You browse through applications by rightclicking on the desktop.
    You can uninstall tint2(taskbar) and then install [LXpanel[/url:1lhyoyt7]. Which, obviously gives you the 'start menu’
    Also, take a look at [AdeskBar[/url:1lhyoyt7], that one has better looking ‘start menu’

Are there graphical applets installed for managing locales and keyboard layouts after installation?[/quote:1lhyoyt7]
    Nope!

Have the ISO problems been solved yet?[/quote:1lhyoyt7]
    Antergos ISO is gonna be updated in a week(Maybe earlier). So, yeah, problem is very close to be ‘solved’. =)

Which I/O Scheduler is being used in the latest version of Antergos?[/quote:1lhyoyt7]
    CFQ

Although personally I wouldn’t recommend any Arch-based distro to a linux/computer newbie. Ubuntu-based distros are for that. But if they don’t make their mind to “wow that dude’s linux desktop is so cool, imma try making mine like that” and if they simply update through yapan instead of ‘sudo pacman -Syu base’, then it should be fine. Afterall, You’re getting Spanish made distro for spanish people.
    Chromium, the browser it comes with, isn’t even close to lightweight. You may waana install a lightweight browser for them.

[This[/url:1lhyoyt7] is what you get out of the box with Antergos Openbox!

Cheers!]4

]3]2

]1

]0

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• Although personally I wouldn’t recommend any Arch-based distro to a linux/computer newbie. Ubuntu-based distros are for that.

Good advice. Antergos aim is to make Arch easy, for everyone, but if you have no knowledge at all, it’s best to go to other distros that are no rolling release based.

Cheers!

• Thanks, Gustav

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

Posts 8Views 1716