• Installation SSD and HDD Issues

I have run through the install process multiple time and I can’t seem to get it to work. I have a system with an ssd and a HDD. Running through the install, I choice custom setup. Make both disks gpt. On the SSD just the root partition /.
    On the HDD I put /var, /tmp, swap, and /home.

Antergos forces a format on the ssd(can’t imagine this is good for the drive)

On reboot, I receive a message error: file `/boot/grub/i386-pc/normail.mod` not found and am given a prompt
    grub rescue >

not sure what to do there, so I rebooted back via live usb. checked the partitions, and I see the type as Microsoft Basic Data. Tried to redo the partiton via gparted and fdisk, reinstall the OS. all with the same outcome/prompt.

Anyone have any suggestions for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• I have run through the install process multiple time and I can’t seem to get it to work. I have a system with an ssd and a HDD. Running through the install, I choice custom setup. Make both disks gpt. On the SSD just the root partition /.
    On the HDD I put /var, /tmp, swap, and /home.

Antergos forces a format on the ssd(can’t imagine this is good for the drive)

On reboot, I receive a message error: file `/boot/grub/i386-pc/normail.mod` not found and am given a prompt
    grub rescue >

not sure what to do there, so I rebooted back via live usb. checked the partitions, and I see the type as Microsoft Basic Data. Tried to redo the partiton via gparted and fdisk, reinstall the OS. all with the same outcome/prompt.

Anyone have any suggestions for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• I am able to install the entire OS on the SSD and that will work. Would this be easier? How could I move /var and /home to the HDD?

Thanks.

• Hi,

If you could grab the install log from when you configured /var and /home to be on the HDD that would be helpful (you can find it in /var/log on your installed system). Though if you already wiped it, don’t worry about it. There’s no sense in formatting your SSD any more than necessary You could move /var and /home manually by booting back into the live system:

1. Manually format the two partitions that you want to use for /var /home
    2. Mount your root partition (SSD) and the two partitions you just created (HDD)
    3. Copy the [b:9e6m5e6t]contents[/b:9e6m5e6t] of the two directories to the appropriate partition.
    4. Edit your fstab file (/etc/fstab) by adding an additional entry for /var and /home.

Let me know how it goes :-)

Best Regards,

• lots.0.logs

Thank you for the response. As far as formatting, antergos installer says I need to format / partition during each install.

anyway, After a little more searching, I discovered that I needed to add an un-formatted partition at the beginning of the ssd of 1mb and flag it as bios_grub and a /boot partition along with root. I guess I have a lot to learn about partitioning. I have been on linux for many years and always let the OS partition the disk for me.

I do have a new issue though, when I run fdisk -l I get the following:
    Disk /dev/sdb: 931.5 GiB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disklabel type: gpt
    Disk identifier: 62B19FDF-7E21-424F-9DC6-72C5642F00E8

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
    /dev/sdb1 34 10490444 10490411 5G Microsoft basic data
    /dev/sdb2 10490445 1919976344 1909485900 910.5G Microsoft basic data
    /dev/sdb3 1919976345 1953520064 33543720 16G Linux swap

Partition 2 does not start on physical sector boundary.

Partition 3 does not start on physical sector boundary.

Partition 4 does not start on physical sector boundary.

Disk /dev/sda: 111.8 GiB, 120034123776 bytes, 234441648 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disklabel type: gpt
    Disk identifier: 782A1AE0-8D5E-4B19-8395-4F4770CC465F

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
    /dev/sda1 2048 4095 2048 1M BIOS boot
    /dev/sda2 4096 1052671 1048576 512M EFI System
    /dev/sda3 1052672 234440703 233388032 111.3G Microsoft basic data

any idea on how to resolve Partition x does not start on physical sector boundary? I will continue with google, but if you have anything to add, it would be greatly appreciated.

• @“bagodonut1”:2qq9mfl3 said:

I discovered that I needed to add an un-formatted partition at the beginning of the ssd of 1mb and flag it as bios_grub and a /boot partition along with root. I guess I have a lot to learn about partitioning. I have been on linux for many years and always let the OS partition the disk for me.[/quote:2qq9mfl3]The installer will handle this properly, if not the upcoming release, then definitely by the next one.

What tool did you use to create the new partition layout including the empty partition at the start of the drive? There are instructions in the wiki for aligning the partitions: [https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Partitioning#Solid_state_drives][0]">[https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa][1] … ate_drives

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa

Posts 6Views 1704