• Grub can't install correctly during installation.

I really love the idea of Antergos, so I’m very desperate to get it to work, but I can never get it to install correctly.

I first installed it to a virtual machine (VMware) using the default installation settings (automatic partitioning), and it fails to partition itself. I decided to partition it manually using GParted.

I give the drive the “gpt” MBR and format one partition for boot (EXT2 at 150mb), one for root (EXT4 at ~20GB) and one for swap (1GB). Then I install it normally, but choosing “advanced” partitioning, and mount the partitions myself (for boot, root, and swap), and it starts installing. After it’s finished, I reboot, and it boots into a screen that says “booting…”, and nothing happens.

I then try the same thing, but setting the boot partition to have the bios_grub flag, like it says to do in the Antergos wiki. Still the same results.
    I then try to format the boot partition to a FAT 32 filesystem (which many people say worked for them), but I still get the same results.

I then tried to actually install it on a spare drive, thinking it was just something wrong with VMware. I tried everything I did before for the virtual machine, but it still refused to boot into the OS (instead it just skipped the OS entirely and booted into my WIndows OS on a different hard drive).

I also tried to use the CLI installer, and it always hangs and freezes when mounting the root partition.

If there’s anything I seem to be doing wrong, please let me know how to fix it. I [i:3dcmx06o]really[/i:3dcmx06o] want to use this OS as my daily driver, and I can’t do that if it refuses to install (or at least install the grub) correctly for me.

I’d really appreciate anybody’s help, thanks.

• I really love the idea of Antergos, so I’m very desperate to get it to work, but I can never get it to install correctly.

I first installed it to a virtual machine (VMware) using the default installation settings (automatic partitioning), and it fails to partition itself. I decided to partition it manually using GParted.

I give the drive the “gpt” MBR and format one partition for boot (EXT2 at 150mb), one for root (EXT4 at ~20GB) and one for swap (1GB). Then I install it normally, but choosing “advanced” partitioning, and mount the partitions myself (for boot, root, and swap), and it starts installing. After it’s finished, I reboot, and it boots into a screen that says “booting…”, and nothing happens.

I then try the same thing, but setting the boot partition to have the bios_grub flag, like it says to do in the Antergos wiki. Still the same results.
    I then try to format the boot partition to a FAT 32 filesystem (which many people say worked for them), but I still get the same results.

I then tried to actually install it on a spare drive, thinking it was just something wrong with VMware. I tried everything I did before for the virtual machine, but it still refused to boot into the OS (instead it just skipped the OS entirely and booted into my WIndows OS on a different hard drive).

I also tried to use the CLI installer, and it always hangs and freezes when mounting the root partition.

If there’s anything I seem to be doing wrong, please let me know how to fix it. I [i:3dcmx06o]really[/i:3dcmx06o] want to use this OS as my daily driver, and I can’t do that if it refuses to install (or at least install the grub) correctly for me.

I’d really appreciate anybody’s help, thanks.

• Hi,

We are working on the issues with Grub for GPT partitions. Until it’s fixed, I recommend using the regular MSDOS style partition table. As for as VM’s go we only officially support Virtualbox, so YMMV with other VM software. Try this on actual hardware:

1. Boot using the iso available on the main website.
    2. Close/exit the installer when it first appears.
    3. Open gnome-terminal and run these commands:[command:3bgid9xc]su
    pacman -Sy git
    cnchi-dev[/command:3bgid9xc]
    4. The installer will automatically start after it is updated. It usually takes no longer than a few minutes.

Let me know how it goes :-)

Posts 3Views 973