• \[Solved\] Installing a tar-extension file.

Newb here!

So I needed to install Python 3 on my Antergos Machine.Couldn’t find the package in the common package-managers. So grabbed the Python 3 tarball file from the official python site.Can’t seem to find a way to compile and install it. Here’s what happens:

[[email protected] Tar]\# tar Python-3.3.2.tar.bz2  
    tar: Old option \`b' requires an argument.  
    Try \`tar --help' or \`tar --usage' for more information.  

Any help would be appreciated.Migrated to an arch distro for the first time.Googling isn’t helpin either…
    Thanks.

• Newb here!

So I needed to install Python 3 on my Antergos Machine.Couldn’t find the package in the common package-managers. So grabbed the Python 3 tarball file from the official python site.Can’t seem to find a way to compile and install it. Here’s what happens:

[[email protected] Tar]\# tar Python-3.3.2.tar.bz2  
    tar: Old option \`b' requires an argument.  
    Try \`tar --help' or \`tar --usage' for more information.  

Any help would be appreciated.Migrated to an arch distro for the first time.Googling isn’t helpin either…
    Thanks.

• Hi, Python is usually a dependency to a lot of packages, so I think it’s strange that you need to install it.

Could you please do ‘pacman -Q python’ ? It should return the version you have installed.

If it doesn’t return anything, then you can install python with: ‘pacman -S python’

"When you stare into the abyss the abyss stares back at you." (Friedrich Nietzsche)

• Yes, like Noxbru said, the python 3 package is installed by default, if not, just run the command he said

About the tar command, you are doing it incomplete, tar needs parameters to decompress the files, but it is always recommended to install from the repositories

• Thanks. Helped like a charm.

Posts 5Views 1478