• \[SOLVED\] Login manager (lightdm) issue

In the last few days I installed Antergos with a different desktop (Kde, Gnome, Cinnamon) each time to find out which one better suits my needs.

Antergos seems to always install its lightdm + webkit based custom theme (which, by the way, I really love). However there seems to be a problem: sometimes when lightdm starts, all I can see is a black screen (no mouse pointer either) and I have to switch to another tty and “pkill lightdm” to make it appear.

Logs in /var/log/lightdm don’t seem to show anything unusual. Has anyone experienced the same issue?

• In the last few days I installed Antergos with a different desktop (Kde, Gnome, Cinnamon) each time to find out which one better suits my needs.

Antergos seems to always install its lightdm + webkit based custom theme (which, by the way, I really love). However there seems to be a problem: sometimes when lightdm starts, all I can see is a black screen (no mouse pointer either) and I have to switch to another tty and “pkill lightdm” to make it appear.

Logs in /var/log/lightdm don’t seem to show anything unusual. Has anyone experienced the same issue?

• Hi,

I experience the same issue. It seems to be almost random. It’s doesn’t happen often, so I havent looked into it. If I find anything I will let you know!

Cheers!

• It hangs quite often here: either it shows a blank screen, or it hangs after entering the password.
    As much as i like the custom theme, I’m forced to change it… how can I replace it with something else? I don’t want to use “heavy” ones like gdm, perhaps the bug won’t show if I only use lighdm without the webkit addon?

• I’m using [lxdm[/url:1assa9mx]. There are [Antergos-[/url:1assa9mx] and Archlinux-Themes[/url:1assa9mx] available.]1]0

• I have the same issue, but for now, not something to be consider as affecting my daily work with computer. Like Dustin said, it doesn’t happen all the time.

Asus X201EP | Intel Celeron 2x 1.10 GHz | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | Antergos 64-Bit.

• Nevermind, I’m keeping lightdm as I can’t do without Antergos’ theme :) Also, I’m using light-locker as my current screenlocker, which requires lightdm anyway…

I wish I could restart lightdm using an hotkey when it hangs instead of switching to another console, but I guess it would require quite a bit of work.

• You can use [b:3as0bk0q]xbindkeys[/b:3as0bk0q] to create a keyboard shortcut that executes this command:[command:3as0bk0q]sudo systemctl restart lightdm[/command:3as0bk0q]
    Though for it to work you would have to have sudo configured to not ask for a password. Not a big deal for me as I am the only user of my system, but for you it may be different so obviously it’s your decision

[https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xbindkeys][0]">[https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xbindkeys][1]

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xbindkeys

• Great! Thanks so much Dustin

@“lots.0.logs”:xjctqftk said:

Though for it to work you would have to have sudo configured to not ask for a password. Not a big deal for me as I am the only user of my system[/quote:xjctqftk]
    No problem, I also have sudo configured like that

• Adding xbindkeys to my user’s .xinitrc as the wiki suggests doesn’t seem to work, probably because lightdm is started as root and I’m not logged in yet. So I tried to run it from rc.local (after enabling its systemd service and putting the rc in /etc) and it worked the first time, but now all I get is a core dump.

Can you please tell me what is the right way to load xbindkeys at startup so that the hotkey is already active when lightdm appears?

• Try creating a service file and then enabling it with systemd:[config=/usr/lib/systemd/system/xbindkeys.service:1nod240y][Unit]
    Description=Xbindkeys

[Service]
    ExecStart=/usr/bin/xbindkeys -f /home/your-user-name/.xbindkeysrc

[Install]
    WantedBy=multi-user.target[/config:1nod240y]Let me know if it works!

Cheers!

• It didn’t work, so I tried a “systemctl status xbindkeys.service” and it gave me the following:

xbindkeys.service - Xbindkeys  
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/xbindkeys.service; enabled)  
    Active: failed (Result: core-dump) since Sun 2014-11-09 12:29:11 CET; 43s ago  
    Process: 229 ExecStart=/usr/bin/xbindkeys -f /etc/xbindkeysrc (code=dumped, signal=SEGV)  
    Main PID: 229 (code=dumped, signal=SEGV)

However if I manually run “/usr/bin/xbindkeys -f /etc/xbindkeysrc” it works just fine. Weird…

• Try adding " -n " to the service file command…

• Same as before…

Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/xbindkeys.service; enabled)  
    Process: 223 ExecStart=/usr/bin/xbindkeys -f /etc/xbindkeysrc -n (code=dumped, signal=SEGV)  
    Main PID: 223 (code=dumped, signal=SEGV)

• I managed to “solve” the problem by simply enabling the ctrl-alt-backspace hotkey (which kills X, thus restarting lightdm).

Basically I created the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf with the following content:

Section "ServerFlags"  
    Option "DontZap" "false"  
    EndSection  

Section "InputClass"  
    Identifier "Keyboard Defaults"  
    MatchIsKeyboard "yes"  
    Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl\_alt\_bksp"  
    EndSection

• I forgot all about that option. Thanks for posting it here :-)

• Great. There are several threads about this issue (one of them is mine). Maybe you can pin this?

Posts 17Views 4647