• Spell check doesn't work, what to do: install FF add-on?

I have Gnome desktop, and when posting here spell check (usually Firefox function, right click) doesn’t work.
    Should I add English dictionary from Firefox add-ons or is there other way to solve this?

Thank you.

• I have Gnome desktop, and when posting here spell check (usually Firefox function, right click) doesn’t work.
    Should I add English dictionary from Firefox add-ons or is there other way to solve this?

Thank you.

• From Archwiki: [Source[/url:1wlsvlvu]

To enable spell checking for a specific language right click on any text field and check the Check Spelling box. To select a language for spell checking to you have right click again and select your language from the Languages sub-menu.

To get more languages just click Add Dictionaries… and select the dictionary you want to install from the list.

Alternatively, you can install the hunspell package, available in the official repositories. You also need to install dictionaries for your language, such as hunspell-fr (for the French language) or hunspell-he (for Hebrew).

By default, Firefox will try to symlink all your hunspell dictionaries in /usr/lib/firefox/dictionaries. If you want to have less dictionaries offered to you in Firefox, you can remove some of those links. Be aware that it may not stand an upgrade of Firefox.
    : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox#Dictionaries_for_spell_checking:1wlsvlvu

• Thank you, it is good to know what can be done.
    Check Spelling is not available on my right click (although available in all other OS I tried), only Add Dictionary. I was worrying about installing anything not from official repositories. I’ll try to install hunspell package, I guess that for English it should be “-en”.

• It worked after restarting computer. Unfortunately, it installed 22 English dictionaries, with full disregard to system language, set during installation. Will have to delete them manually. If they will reinstall again after each of frequent Firefox updates, I’m in trouble.

For Linuxes it’s highly unusual not to have a problem-free spell-ckecker in major browsers ready to use.

Installing FF add-on is an option, do you know a safe one? They all are made by random people and you never know if it contains malware.

• I never installed any Dictionary-Add-On, just firefox, firefox-en-us, hunspell and hunspell-en. I don’t know any other (safe) source for dictionaries.

Posts 6Views 1170