• \[SOLVED\] Information/taskbar in Gnome3

In other distro’s there is a information bar in Gnome3 when you point the mouse to the right downhand corner. On this bar all running applications with an Icon (think of twitter, music players) while “closed” (deamonized?) are shown and can be put back to front. Now when a program has something to notify a black bar briefly pops up and not all applications restore when clicked on that (hotot for example).

Can I put that bar back on?

Oh, excuse me for my really bad english…

Antergos: funny name, serious distro

• In other distro’s there is a information bar in Gnome3 when you point the mouse to the right downhand corner. On this bar all running applications with an Icon (think of twitter, music players) while “closed” (deamonized?) are shown and can be put back to front. Now when a program has something to notify a black bar briefly pops up and not all applications restore when clicked on that (hotot for example).

Can I put that bar back on?

Oh, excuse me for my really bad english…

• I guess you mean the notification bar? In Gnome 3.8 you just need to hold your mouse cursor at the very bottom of the screen and a bar will pop up from there.

Polish Antergos User… and damn proud of it.

• @“galkt”:b0efmt8p said:

I guess you mean the notification bar? In Gnome 3.8 you just need to hold your mouse cursor at the very bottom of the screen and a bar will pop up from there.[/quote:b0efmt8p]

Nope, not here. I know what you mean but that doesn’t happen in this distro.

• @“bootz”:1gqxlm5r said:

@“galkt”:1gqxlm5r said:

I guess you mean the notification bar? In Gnome 3.8 you just need to hold your mouse cursor at the very bottom of the screen and a bar will pop up from there.[/quote:1gqxlm5r]

Nope, not here. I know what you mean but that doesn’t happen in this distro.[/quote:1gqxlm5r]

Shoot me down, it works now… must be me, excuse me!

• Try installing this extension. Its one of the few that I cant go without!

[url:23cwt5hd]https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/307/dash-to-dock/[/url:23cwt5hd]

• good (useful) extension, but [b:3r8mbh3d]bootz[/b:3r8mbh3d] asks for the bottom notification area that shows up when you place the cursor on the right bottom corner.
    On my antergos+gnome3 does not appear, but I guess is some gnome3 “new feature”. I can live without it but is some kind annoying to me.

You can bring it up with “super+M” BTW

• As unhelpful as this may be, while the bottom right trick doesn’t work, anywhere else on the bottom does. It just takes some ‘forcing’ the cursor down to below the viewable area of the screen. Not sure if that sensitivity can be changed.

To also note - I agree that dash-to-dock is an amazing extension that really makes gnome more pleasant to use on everything that gnome currently runs on

• AFAIK it has always been the behavior of the notification area to be triggered when you move the mouse below the visible area anywhere along the bottom of your desktop. Changing the sensitivity can be done by an extension but I don’t think it has been updated for 3.8 yet. This extension will at least let you visualize how much “pressure” is put on the panel. You just keep moving your mouse down and it’ll light up more and more until the menu pops up. [https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/634/tray-pressure-visualizer/][0]">[https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/][1] … isualizer/ I don’t keep it installed because I don’t see a need personally. Plus I’ve learned with extensions its always a good idea to keep the total to a minimum!

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/

• @“XoseM”:z0pzmii0 said:

good (useful) extension, but [b:z0pzmii0]bootz[/b:z0pzmii0] asks for the bottom notification area that shows up when you place the cursor on the right bottom corner.
    On my antergos+gnome3 does not appear, but I guess is some gnome3 “new feature”. I can live without it but is some kind annoying to me.

You can bring it up with “super+M” BTW[/quote:z0pzmii0]

Thanks for the hotkey. It does show up now but onlyif I drag the mouse around about a quarter of my living room (joke). Now looking into dconf if I can narrow the weight to open the darn thing.

• Another question bytes the dust…

see here, [url:3r0b8hx5]https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=161302[/url:3r0b8hx5] message #3. I adjusted the line: [b:3r0b8hx5]const MESSAGE_TRAY_PRESSURE_THRESHOLD =250; // pixels [/b:3r0b8hx5] to 10 pixels and now it shows me the message tray (that’s how it is called) very quickly.

• thank you [b:2u8a34u0]bootz[/b:2u8a34u0]

• @“XoseM”:3lreiwb9 said:

thank you [b:3lreiwb9]bootz[/b:3lreiwb9][/quote:3lreiwb9]

Seems that the link is incorrect. The file you need to edit as sudo: /usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/layout.js. I also altered the amount of pixels it takes to show the apps menu.

Posts 13Views 3289