• Cannot login to Gnome - first time boot

Hi there, I have just installed Antergos at my laptop with Gnome. At the login screen, I select the account I created using the graphical installer and enter my password. This doesn’t work and I get “Authentication failed”.
    If I look at the log, I also see “not authenticated”.

I thought it might have to do with the input, since I also had an issue of automatically switching to Greek at the live-cd after selecting the Greek keyboard layout, but at the top of the log I see “en-gb” which makes me think the input language is English.

Any idea what could be going wrong?

Btw, great effort guys and I really like what I have seen so far! Keep it up.

Dimitris

• Hi there, I have just installed Antergos at my laptop with Gnome. At the login screen, I select the account I created using the graphical installer and enter my password. This doesn’t work and I get “Authentication failed”.
    If I look at the log, I also see “not authenticated”.

I thought it might have to do with the input, since I also had an issue of automatically switching to Greek at the live-cd after selecting the Greek keyboard layout, but at the top of the log I see “en-gb” which makes me think the input language is English.

Any idea what could be going wrong?

Btw, great effort guys and I really like what I have seen so far! Keep it up.

Dimitris

• It’s possible that your locale wasnt configured properly by the installer. Are you able to type your password as if the keyboard layout was en_GB? If so give it a try. If not, switch to a new VT (Ctrl+Alt+F2) and see if you can log in there. If you can log in use this command to view your system locale:[command:13sxjmpl]sudo localectl status[/command:13sxjmpl] You can use the same command to change the locale if needed. Just run this to see the command options:[command:13sxjmpl]sudo localectl --help[/command:13sxjmpl] Let me know the result!

Best Regards,

• Thanks for the quick reply Dustin. It doesn’t work at the terminal as well which is really weird. Maybe I mistyped my password twice when setting it?

@“lots.0.logs”:5cbds032 said:

Are you able to type your password as if the keyboard layout was en_GB?[/quote:5cbds032]
    I am not sure I understand this question. How can I see what I am typing?

• I mean does you password contain characters that aren’t included on the keyboard layout that appears to be configured? If not, then I don’t understand why it doesnt work? If you can, boot into the live system and mount your Antergos /root. Post the installer log located in /var/log. The log filename is cnchi followed by the date of install.

Best Regards,

• My password contains latin characters, so EN-GB should be able to handle it.
    I am also attaching the requested log, from a quick scan, it seems to em that the only locale installed is EN-GB indeed.

• Hi,

Yes, you selected English when installing, didn’t you?

[2014-10-26 12:32:52] [location.py] INFO: locale changed to : en\_GB.UTF-8  
    [2014-10-26 13:32:52] [timezone.py] INFO: location changed to : Europe/Amsterdam  
    [2014-10-26 13:32:53] [timezone.py] INFO: location changed to : Europe/Amsterdam  
    [2014-10-26 13:32:57] [keymap.py] INFO: keyboard\_layout is Netherlands  

See that you selected a Netherlands keymap. Is that ok?

Cheers!

• Basically, I am Greek living in the Netherlands and want English as the OS language
    I don’t remember selecting a Dutch keymap though, the only Netherlands related thing I selected should be timezone. I am pretty certain I selected Greek keyboard layout, that’s how Greek was also installed as an input language.
    I am already thinking of doing it all over selecting English for everything and adding whatever later.

• Hi,

Could be a bug in the installer… I’ll try it myself selecting English as language, with a greek keyboard layout, we’ll see…

Cheers!

• Hi again, I am writing from Antergos now, I just reinstalled everything without selecting Greek keyboard and now it works.
    Thank you guys for trying to help.

Dimitris

• Guys this is really weird but the moment I add Greek input, I can’t log in! When the session is started it is OK and I can switch between English and Greek, but if I add Greek and log out, it refuses to log me in even if the last used input was English.
    What can I do in this case??

• Ηi there! It seems that Arch doesn t like greek! I had the very same problem myself. I had a greek installation with a latin password and i also could not login because it started (and still starts in greek.
    I resolved this problem by changing my password from latin letters to numbers. I entered a a VT pressing (Ctrl+Alt+F2) and typed

passwd username

changing my password to numbers only. And that was that, thereafter!

• I don’t think it’s an Arch issue as I used to have an Arch installation with Greek in the past without problems.
    The launcher that comes up in the beginning seems to have the issue and I think that is Antergos specific, can someone confirm this?

As a workaround, I am now using a numeric password but I am keen on solving this.

• Hi,

If you could, please post the lightdm logs after a failed attempt to log in. The log files’ location is listed in the announcement post about how to obtain logs. Thanks.

Best Regards,

• With a bit of googling, I found out that this is a known issue of lightdm. An easy workaround is to have English first in the list of inputs. This way it works for me.

• @“doctor”:3jyw6i3u said:

With a bit of googling, I found out that this is a known issue of lightdm. An easy workaround is to have English first in the list of inputs. This way it works for me.[/quote:3jyw6i3u]
    That s why I didn t report it. There are ways resolving it.

Posts 16Views 3928
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.