• Cannot login to Gnome - first time boot

Hi there, I have just installed Antergos at my laptop with Gnome. At the login screen, I select the account I created using the graphical installer and enter my password. This doesn’t work and I get “Authentication failed”.
    If I look at the log, I also see “not authenticated”.

I thought it might have to do with the input, since I also had an issue of automatically switching to Greek at the live-cd after selecting the Greek keyboard layout, but at the top of the log I see “en-gb” which makes me think the input language is English.

Any idea what could be going wrong?

Btw, great effort guys and I really like what I have seen so far! Keep it up.

Dimitris

• Hi there, I have just installed Antergos at my laptop with Gnome. At the login screen, I select the account I created using the graphical installer and enter my password. This doesn’t work and I get “Authentication failed”.
    If I look at the log, I also see “not authenticated”.

I thought it might have to do with the input, since I also had an issue of automatically switching to Greek at the live-cd after selecting the Greek keyboard layout, but at the top of the log I see “en-gb” which makes me think the input language is English.

Any idea what could be going wrong?

Btw, great effort guys and I really like what I have seen so far! Keep it up.

Dimitris

• It’s possible that your locale wasnt configured properly by the installer. Are you able to type your password as if the keyboard layout was en_GB? If so give it a try. If not, switch to a new VT (Ctrl+Alt+F2) and see if you can log in there. If you can log in use this command to view your system locale:[command:13sxjmpl]sudo localectl status[/command:13sxjmpl] You can use the same command to change the locale if needed. Just run this to see the command options:[command:13sxjmpl]sudo localectl --help[/command:13sxjmpl] Let me know the result!

Best Regards,

• Thanks for the quick reply Dustin. It doesn’t work at the terminal as well which is really weird. Maybe I mistyped my password twice when setting it?

@“lots.0.logs”:5cbds032 said:

Are you able to type your password as if the keyboard layout was en_GB?[/quote:5cbds032]
    I am not sure I understand this question. How can I see what I am typing?

• I mean does you password contain characters that aren’t included on the keyboard layout that appears to be configured? If not, then I don’t understand why it doesnt work? If you can, boot into the live system and mount your Antergos /root. Post the installer log located in /var/log. The log filename is cnchi followed by the date of install.

Best Regards,

• My password contains latin characters, so EN-GB should be able to handle it.
    I am also attaching the requested log, from a quick scan, it seems to em that the only locale installed is EN-GB indeed.

• Hi,

Yes, you selected English when installing, didn’t you?

[2014-10-26 12:32:52] [location.py] INFO: locale changed to : en\_GB.UTF-8  
    [2014-10-26 13:32:52] [timezone.py] INFO: location changed to : Europe/Amsterdam  
    [2014-10-26 13:32:53] [timezone.py] INFO: location changed to : Europe/Amsterdam  
    [2014-10-26 13:32:57] [keymap.py] INFO: keyboard\_layout is Netherlands  

See that you selected a Netherlands keymap. Is that ok?

Cheers!

• Basically, I am Greek living in the Netherlands and want English as the OS language
    I don’t remember selecting a Dutch keymap though, the only Netherlands related thing I selected should be timezone. I am pretty certain I selected Greek keyboard layout, that’s how Greek was also installed as an input language.
    I am already thinking of doing it all over selecting English for everything and adding whatever later.

• Hi,

Could be a bug in the installer… I’ll try it myself selecting English as language, with a greek keyboard layout, we’ll see…

Cheers!

• Hi again, I am writing from Antergos now, I just reinstalled everything without selecting Greek keyboard and now it works.
    Thank you guys for trying to help.

Dimitris

• Guys this is really weird but the moment I add Greek input, I can’t log in! When the session is started it is OK and I can switch between English and Greek, but if I add Greek and log out, it refuses to log me in even if the last used input was English.
    What can I do in this case??

• Ηi there! It seems that Arch doesn t like greek! I had the very same problem myself. I had a greek installation with a latin password and i also could not login because it started (and still starts in greek.
    I resolved this problem by changing my password from latin letters to numbers. I entered a a VT pressing (Ctrl+Alt+F2) and typed

passwd username

changing my password to numbers only. And that was that, thereafter!

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• I don’t think it’s an Arch issue as I used to have an Arch installation with Greek in the past without problems.
    The launcher that comes up in the beginning seems to have the issue and I think that is Antergos specific, can someone confirm this?

As a workaround, I am now using a numeric password but I am keen on solving this.

• Hi,

If you could, please post the lightdm logs after a failed attempt to log in. The log files’ location is listed in the announcement post about how to obtain logs. Thanks.

Best Regards,

• With a bit of googling, I found out that this is a known issue of lightdm. An easy workaround is to have English first in the list of inputs. This way it works for me.

• @“doctor”:3jyw6i3u said:

With a bit of googling, I found out that this is a known issue of lightdm. An easy workaround is to have English first in the list of inputs. This way it works for me.[/quote:3jyw6i3u]
    That s why I didn t report it. There are ways resolving it.

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

Posts 16Views 3121