• Red pixel \\ Black Flickering on LiveCD Boot - UEFI

Hi all,

I’m currently trying to install Antergos on a physical box (x99 + NVidia 750 ti). When booting the cd, I get a red pixel filled screen, which then quickly changes to a rapidly flickering black screen. Boot is via EFI

Anyone have any ideas on how to get around this?

Cheers

• Hi all,

I’m currently trying to install Antergos on a physical box (x99 + NVidia 750 ti). When booting the cd, I get a red pixel filled screen, which then quickly changes to a rapidly flickering black screen. Boot is via EFI

Anyone have any ideas on how to get around this?

Cheers

• Fixed(ish). My 2560x1440 Asus GSync monitor was seemingly the cause. Can boot live now with a 1080 monitor (still have red pixel crap, but assume once official nvidia driver is in rather than the novaeu garbage I should be sweet).

Cheers

• Final post, antergos install was abortive. EFI stub wants to install to /boot rather than /boot/efi/insertnamehere. Which ins’t a problem with a single install, or probably even with a windows dual boot, but would cause hell in a nix dual boot scenario.

Back to Fedora. Till next time :P

• @“Camm”:1kvm2odn said:

but would cause hell in a nix dual boot scenario.[/quote:1kvm2odn] How so?

• @“lots.0.logs”:jh6hwtrg said:

@“Camm”:jh6hwtrg said:

but would cause hell in a nix dual boot scenario.[/quote:jh6hwtrg] How so?[/quote:jh6hwtrg]

Done some searching, a discussion in your GIT highlights the issue fairly well

[https://github.com/Antergos/Cnchi/issues/186][0]">[https://github.com/Antergos/Cnchi/issues/186][1]

All thanks to MichaelTunnel who posted this originally

I am going to attempt to explain the problem as I understand it. I could be wrong, just for disclaimer.
    1.No Bug: Antergos currently works fine for non-dualbooters. (like myself)
    2.No Bug: Antergos does not break other distros or Windows, based on the screenshots and explanation provided by @heavensrevenge
    3.Bug: Antergos breaks itself when trying to dual-boot with anything else.

The UEFI issue of not having a subfolder in /boot/efi means that it will conflict with other distros that do have subfolders. The conflict is not with the distros themselves but with EFI booting so when another distro is setup, Antergos is broken in boot because EFI is expecting it somewhere that it isn’t.

Is this a big problem?
    I would argue that yes it certainly is due to the previous statement by @lots0logs which is “The purpose of Antergos is to make Arch more accessible to less experienced linux users.” This creates an issue because every day, Arch is getting more and more popular as a distro thanks to podcasts and such praising it all the time. The increased popularity of Arch also increases the appeal of Antergos to users who might be better served on something like Ubuntu but there is undoubtedly going to be people who do it anyway because of so many people talking about Arch.

Scenario 1:
    Windows User decides to try Linux and sees all the people praising Arch and decide to try Arch. They see warnings about how Arch is hard and then get directed to Antergos as a solution. They don’t want to replace Windows so they decide to Dual Boot…in doing so Antergos will not boot and Antergos just looks like a broken mess that isn’t ready for users.

Scenario 2:
    Antergos User who is not dual-booting (like myself) decides to install another distro for dual booting purposes after the fact. Ubuntu, openSUSE, Fedora or etc (even Windows actually) is chosen to be installed. The user has a working Antergos system before they start the process but once they complete it the current EFI setup breaks Antergos while doesn’t break the new distro. For example, Ubuntu will continue to work as the second distro but primary distro of Antergos is not unbootable. This will also result in the mindset of “Antergos is just not ready for users”.

This structure does not bring forth destruction to other distros…theoretically it could but based on @heavensrevenge, what it does is actually just break Antergos.

I think this is a big bug because it breaks Antergos and that is something the Antergos team should want to fix.

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: https://github.com/Antergos/Cnchi/issues/186

• None of that proves your statement. If anything it proves that your statement is incorrect. I only asked for clarification on the off chance you had an actual scenario where there would be a problem with EFI mounted at /boot that we needed to investigate.

Best Regards,
    Dustin

Posts 7Views 1370