• What partition to delete? \[Solved\]

Hello,
    My laptop HP Pavilion g6 64bits with Win7 has 4 primary partitions.
    I know I have to delete one of them for installing Antergos in an extended partition. But I don’t know which of them to delete without breaking the Windows system.
    What do you recomend?[/color:7tfg9pjh]
    [img:7tfg9pjh]http://i.imgur.com/ntjmmyk.png[/img:7tfg9pjh]

• Hello,
    My laptop HP Pavilion g6 64bits with Win7 has 4 primary partitions.
    I know I have to delete one of them for installing Antergos in an extended partition. But I don’t know which of them to delete without breaking the Windows system.
    What do you recomend?[/color:7tfg9pjh]
    [img:7tfg9pjh]http://i.imgur.com/ntjmmyk.png[/img:7tfg9pjh]

• HI,

When you boot into WIndows7, you see only one ‘C’ drive right?

I dualboot with windows too on my HP Pavllion G6 but I don’t keep the ‘Recovery’ drive and the ‘HP_TOOLS’ drive. Also, I don’t keep Windows Drive so BIG(~440GB). If I were you, I’d delete /dev/sda3 and /dev/sda4 and would resize /dev/sda2 from 437GB to 287GB.

/dev/sda2 is your Windows drive! You can even install Antergos without touching /dev/sda2.

So, if you’re not really used to partitioning and stuff. You can just delete /dev/sda3 and /dev/sda4 and make a new ext4 partition from the unallocated space that sda3 and sda4 form together after deleting.
    and then ofcourse use cnchi-dev to install antergos!

Cheers!

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• Thank you.
    Did you do a back up of /dev/sda3 and /dev/sda4 ?

• Hello,

I would recommend using the tools available in Windows to take some space from your C:\ (sda2) and use it to create an extended partition. I have not used the Windows partitioning tools in a while so I’m not sure what options will be available. Ideally if you could move sda4 onto the extended partition that would be best. So it would look like this:

[list:2lzgg41k][*:2lzgg41k]/dev/sda1 - WINDOWS BOOT[/*:m:2lzgg41k]
    [*:2lzgg41k]/dev/sda2 - WINDOWS C:[/*:m:2lzgg41k]
    [*:2lzgg41k]/dev/sda3 - WINDOWS RECOVERY[/*:m:2lzgg41k]
    [*:2lzgg41k]/dev/sda4 - EXTENDED PARTITION
    [list:2lzgg41k][*:2lzgg41k]/dev/sda5 - HP_TOOLS[/*:m:2lzgg41k]
    [*:2lzgg41k]/dev/sda6 - ANTERGOS ROOT[/*:m:2lzgg41k][/list:u:2lzgg41k][/*:m:2lzgg41k][/list:u:2lzgg41k]

Hope it helps!

• That could be the perfect solution. I’ll check the Windows partitioning tool on wednesday. Thank you!

• You’re welcome!

• I haven’t had time for doing the partitioning yet. This weekend for sure, with new questions possibly.

• @“lots.0.logs”:3jthfd3g said:

Hello,

I would recommend using the tools available in Windows to take some space from your C:\ (sda2) and use it to create an extended partition. I have not used the Windows partitioning tools in a while so I’m not sure what options will be available. Ideally if you could move sda4 onto the extended partition that would be best. So it would look like this:

/dev/sda1 - WINDOWS BOOT
    /dev/sda2 - WINDOWS C:\
    /dev/sda3 - WINDOWS RECOVERY
    /dev/sda4 - EXTENDED PARTITION
    /dev/sda5 - HP_TOOLS
    /dev/sda6 - ANTERGOS ROOT[/color:3jthfd3g]
    Hope it helps![/quote:3jthfd3g]
    Thank you very much! I did the partitioning as you said. It was a perfect solution because I didn’t have to delete any partition. Also, I installed antergos with gnome desktop.
    [color]I didn’t make a Swap partition. Should I?[/color:3jthfd3g]
    [img:3jthfd3g]http://i.imgur.com/armDPW8.png[/img:3jthfd3g]
    I used a third-party Windows partition tool -EaseUS-[/color]

• I’m glad to see you were successful! :-)

As for as swap goes, how much RAM does your system have? Do you want to use Sleep and/or Hibernate functions?

• It has 6 gb of ram and I don’t need sleep or hibernate functions. Everything runs fine, no problems of memory, but I thought swap would help a bit more.

• Nah you don’t need swap then.
    Plus, swap doesn’t help much. I use swap because I have 1.5GB RAM and I don’t notice any performance benefits with swap over using a distro without swap.

You have 6GB RAM, you don’t need swap at all.

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• Ok. Good to know. Thank you.

• Not really. Unless you have an SSD then you typically do not want your system to use swap space. I’d still recommend creating a small swap partition of 1GB-2GB so that you are covered in the event your system uses up all your RAM. Though it’s very unlikely to happen, without swap space you would lose whatever you are working on at the time.

Best Regards,

Posts 14Views 2026