• Unusual VLC Behaviour

Here’s an odd one: I’m running GNOME 3 Antergos, and when I try to play an .flv or .mp4 file from within nautilus – via right click, ‘open with VLC’ – VLC crashes (occasionally bumping my CPU usage up to a permanent 100 percent.) However, when I open VLC either using the icon, or through a terminal ($ vlc), navigate to the same file manually, and then open it manually, it plays just fine.

Any idea what’s going on here? I’m using 2.1.5 Rincewind.

Many thanks.

Lenovo H50-50 Sharkbay, Intel® Core i7 4790 Haswell CPU @ 3.60 GH, 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 720, 8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Antergos 64-bit, 2GB WDC (SATA), 3GB TOSHIBA (SATA).

• Here’s an odd one: I’m running GNOME 3 Antergos, and when I try to play an .flv or .mp4 file from within nautilus – via right click, ‘open with VLC’ – VLC crashes (occasionally bumping my CPU usage up to a permanent 100 percent.) However, when I open VLC either using the icon, or through a terminal ($ vlc), navigate to the same file manually, and then open it manually, it plays just fine.

Any idea what’s going on here? I’m using 2.1.5 Rincewind.

Many thanks.

Lenovo H50-50 Sharkbay, Intel® Core i7 4790 Haswell CPU @ 3.60 GH, 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 720, 8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Antergos 64-bit, 2GB WDC (SATA), 3GB TOSHIBA (SATA).

• Haha WOW!

In such cases(if possible) I find and use some alternative to the software.
    You can use SMplayer, it’s a fantastic media player with support for more file types than vlc.(I could only find one tho)

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• Thanks for the SMPlayer recommendation. I’m wondering whether the above problem is an idiosyncratic Gnome 3.12 problem rather than a VLC problem. SMPlayer will do for now, however. It seems to have what I need. Thanks again.

• You’re welcome.

@“melchizedek”:376o2tyl said:

when I open VLC either using the icon, or through a terminal ($ vlc), navigate to the file manually, and then open it manually, it plays just fine.[/quote:376o2tyl]

Must be Gnome’s problem. Do the videos run fine when loaded from Nautilus/files in totem/videos?

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• @“Yash”:o1iwfag9 said:

Must be Gnome’s problem. Do the videos run fine when loaded from Nautilus/files in totem/videos?[/quote:o1iwfag9]

Yeah. the same files that crash VLC from nautilus run fine on SMPlayer. Totem won’t play anything currently, but that’s likely because of the file types rather than a problem with Totem.

For some reason VLC just won’t run .flv and .mp4 files from a file browser. Same issue if I drop into GNOME classic or MATE. Everything works fine in XFCE, however. Not sure what the connection is. I can’t imagine GNOME 3 having much in common with MATE these days.

Posts 6Views 1613
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.