• Arch uers - why they no like Antergos?

I get a lot of hate from certain members of the arch community especially when I tell them I used Antergos to install with.

[img:1pt1tebw]http://i59.tinypic.com/33e3r08.png[/img:1pt1tebw]
    [b:1pt1tebw]Don't forget to mark your thread as [SOLVED] [/b:1pt1tebw]

• I get a lot of hate from certain members of the arch community especially when I tell them I used Antergos to install with.

• Good question. But it is for them to answer it. Personally, I dont care at all. I m very much used to distro users conflicts…

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• I have been using linux for 10yrs now. User conflicts serve no one and have no place. We should be helping one another.

• I agree. But times have changed. Linux has become more…mainstream, a way of showing superiority over the others. Plus a lot more users. Which confirms that quantity harms quality…

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• The answer is simple, the “Arch Way”.

Which, according them, means, either you install Arch by the Default command line process or you’ll be considered a noob and should go back to Ubuntu.
    That’s just the attitude, of them.!

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• @“maxpro4u”:2zlw8ut4 said:

I get a lot of hate from certain members of the arch community especially when I tell them I used Antergos to install with.[/quote:2zlw8ut4]
    I’m using Arch and i love you

I cheated a bit and used an installer to install Arch (don’t tell anyone)
    But it’s 2014, i think it’s to old skool to install a distro like in 1998.
    Most people who installed it the old way have got some kind of instructions on paper or a second pc to look for the instructions.

How are you going to remember all those commands?

• The hate come from ppl who are affraid linux become more user friendly and less l33t.

@Strumpf : In 1998 they were many book for linux, DOS etc etc for ppl from this time it is just nostalgia. Even my friends who are power users have written their own scripts to auto install what they need on a new arch install. And the only one I know who like terminal install use Gentoo not arch.

Long Live Antergos
    [Major Linux Problems on the Desktop or Why Linux is not (yet) Ready for the Desktop, 2016 edition] (http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html)

• @Nekosan. That’s basically what i wrote in my previous post.
    Book or piece of paper with instructions. It’s the same.
    People who write there own scripts learned it from the internet or a book.
    Following someone’s instructions.
    You have to start somewhere.

Installing Arch the “normal” way is still via terminal.

• I’m using Arch too

Yes, I installed arch the “normal” way. Took me one complete week to get it set up and working!

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• @“Yash”:1p45ory7 said:

I’m using Arch too

Yes, I installed arch the “normal” way. Took me one complete week to get it set up and working![/quote:1p45ory7]

I don’t have the patience to take a week to be up and running! A day, maybe…

• Hi,

What I’m going to say it’s not much in Antergos behalf, but in my oppinion Arch is not that hard to install. What do you really need is another computer with Internet connection to be able to read the wiki.

The process is just boot from Arch ISO, create your partitions and install a base system (base metapackage).

What takes longer is to choose the packages you want to install and setup some configuration files.

Oh, and finally selecting your preferences (themes, icons, …)

So instead of doing all this tedious work myself, I like to start Cnchi and let it do all the work for me (and meanwhile I can do other things :p)

Cheers!

• @“karasu”:3asse60k said:

Hi,

What I’m going to say it’s not much in Antergos behalf, but in my oppinion Arch is not that hard to install. What do you really need is another computer with Internet connection to be able to read the wiki.

The process is just boot from Arch ISO, create your partitions and install a base system (base metapackage).

Cheers![/quote:3asse60k]

Yeah! And that’s what I thought before installing arch myself. Only to realize straight arch install is not good for [MY LAPTOP].
    I can tell you what took me freakin’ week to get the ‘just working’ arch install.
    Arch installation, as Gustau said, is pretty easy, but, I’m the proof that it’s not that ‘easy’ for EVERYONE. In my case, it was a lot of work(Considering that I’m not a programmer). Probably because the problems I faced were not common and I couldn’t find solutions for most of them on forums.
    You definitely need an extra computer for Internet connection. I had my dad’s old computer(of 2002 maybe) with 96MB RAM xD and uncapable of running internet on it, So, I saved few installation wiki pages in a USB drive to access them from that “even less powerful than raspberry pi” desktop.

1st problem I faced is more like a personal one, my internet speed, I get 17KB/s.(Yep, even youtube at 144p lags on it xD (Welcome to India). (No solution in forums/wiki)

2nd cfdisk, CLI partitioning tool didn’t work as it should. It was giving me weird errors. Couldn’t find solution in wiki and forums but playing with some features of cfdisk, I could make partitions. yeah, onto the next step…

3rd I installed arch base, basedevel, gnome3.12, grub, mesa and few more shit. Restarted my laptop and woof, Grub crashed, I couldn’t boot into nothing! Found the solution to this in forums luckly.

4th is opensource drivers, They don’t work in my laptop in arch.(yep not in antergos either, I’ll have to install catalyst just after installing antergos) but Opensource drivers work with Ubuntu(or based distros) smoothly. Idk why xD (don’t know how to ask for a solution of that in forums)

5th is installation of catalyst in antergos. Since mesa didn’t work, I tried tried installing catalyst and couldn’t get catalyst installed by simply following the steps in wiki. I had to do fuck load of things to get catalyst working. I don’t really remember what I did but yeah, this and 6th step took the most part of my ‘week’.

6th is wifi. After installing catalyst and getting a working desktop, I realized wifi wasn’t working. I installed wicd, and some drivers I found from idk somewhere in this world. and voila, they didn’t work and made it worse… Now I couldn’t get wired internet working either. Obviously, frustrated with a OS without internet, I decided to go back to Ubuntu. but my friend(who has never tried any linux distro ever) insisted me to work on it and try more and find out solution. I mistakenly, completely uninstalled Gnome shell and everything connected to it, yep I was left with arch base and catalyst XD Had to redownload and install everything with my 17KB/s internet and this time, miraculously, wifi and wired both were working xD

So, yeah that’s how I got a satisfactory arch install!

Now waiting for the next ISO so I can jump onto Antergos.

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• @“maxpro4u”:5jbaibqy said:

I get a lot of hate from certain members of the arch community especially when I tell them I used Antergos to install with.[/quote:5jbaibqy]

haters gonna hate

i dont need acceptance from arch users. i do what i want

• Totally offtopic, but Yash and Megaman… you have the COOLEST and FUNIEST avatars in the forum!!!

• *Looks for the LIKE button*

and Gustau, other than Max Wachtel, you have the most realistic one xD

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• I love Antergos! I am still new to the arch based distros and even linux itself. I used linux mint for 2/3 weeks befor changing distro. I did want to try arch just for the hell of it but after reading the wiki for 2/3 days and watching alot of youtube videos i finally gave up i even tried the install scripts and Evo / Lution but everytime i ran into problems with either the grub install, wifi connection and the desktop not loading. I gave up with arch and i wasent to keen on manjaro felt a bit sluggish for me and had alot of pre installed apps i dont use where as antergos i just replace 3/4 apps with my favs (vlc, deluge, ufw, octopi) and thats it. Antergos is very easy to install but if you want to make sure you dont run into problems like i was having with kde just run cnchi-dev and all is good. Antergos is my main and fav distro and i cant see myself changing anytime soon because everything for me works fine. Arch =

• @“Seansize”:2h995r9k said:

Arch =

or maybe you mean Arch = Ebola

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• I know arch (was out there) for about 3 years now, but that time, I felt like a white flag was beeping above my head when I entered the setup window. I return to my fav distro (the one with green lizard), I never want something like that, it was a nightmare for someone who only use computer as end user (who less care about how to set the first brick on it).

When I changed to low end netbook. I was looking for other thing (other then the green lovely lizard), I typed the requirement on distrowatch, and antergos name poped up on the first row. It made me curious since I never heard it before (until about three days ago). I read the website, and the wiki (which was and perhaps still down regulary); then I decided to give a test, a GUI installation is what I need to make a strange new “culture” ready for my netbook for work in just a day or two.

Yes, and it worked like a charm. Now, single OS - antergos - is my new fav, and on my netbook which ready for my work daily. Well, I was lucky, I got high-speed Internet access (3,5G), so I can make use of my machine in just a couple day from the moment I started downloading Antergos’ ISO.

I knew there are always sentiments like that among distro user. I, myself, do not like Ubuntu too much, but I must say, Ubuntu help more people to take first step to know Linux, then perhaps complicated (in my sense) one as Gentoo or Arch. Simple instalation is what I demand (and need), if I have the “thing” then I can learn it.

If there was no antergos, perhaps I never know what “pacman -Syu” means (actually)? All I know was “zypper this” and “apt-get that”. So, I would say thanks to developer, for this chance that I have to know a wonderful OS. I want an OS that work simple, without much effort to understand or learn to the core. I have other machine that runs Microsoft’s Product, and it is simpel, But I can not afford to buy that genuine license all the time when I need OS on empty machine. Antergos gives simplicity to make my mind at ease, not full of packed stress from the start.

Asus X201EP | Intel Celeron 2x 1.10 GHz | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | Antergos 64-Bit.

• Welcome to the community haridiva! :)

and yes Ubuntu is a great boon for linux. If there was no ubuntu, I’d never come to linux.
    There’s absolutely NO SINGLE distribution that I’ve tried and got that much satisfactory out of the box experience.

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

Posts 25Views 8885