• Kernel 3.16.4-1 update renders system unusable

Hi!

Been using antergos for awhile without much of a problem until yesterday. Got a kernel update and an nvidia driver update and now I can’t log into my system. The login manager loads up in a very low graphics mode and when I try to log in it gives me a message that the system has crashed and presents me with the option to log out. Because of the low graphics I suspected it was a problem with the update to the nvidia driver and proceeded to rollback to the previous driver but no luck, still get the same low graphics login screen and crash after login. Suspect its the kernel update but I’m not sure how to handle that or if I just need rebuild a module. Any guidance would be much appreciated! Thank you!

• Hi!

Been using antergos for awhile without much of a problem until yesterday. Got a kernel update and an nvidia driver update and now I can’t log into my system. The login manager loads up in a very low graphics mode and when I try to log in it gives me a message that the system has crashed and presents me with the option to log out. Because of the low graphics I suspected it was a problem with the update to the nvidia driver and proceeded to rollback to the previous driver but no luck, still get the same low graphics login screen and crash after login. Suspect its the kernel update but I’m not sure how to handle that or if I just need rebuild a module. Any guidance would be much appreciated! Thank you!

• I was just gonna update my system.
    Thanks.!

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• Witch card are you using ? Nvidia stop suporting many card last week so they pass from the nvdia driver to nvidia-340xx. So if youcard isn’t suported anymore nvidia driver will not work.

Long Live Antergos
    [Major Linux Problems on the Desktop or Why Linux is not (yet) Ready for the Desktop, 2016 edition] (http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html)

• Just went to the driver download page on the Nvidia site and it recommends the 340.xx driver for my card. Will see what happens if I roll back to the driver before the 340.xx series.

• Well I tried to upgrade to kernel 3.17 by enabling the test branch in pacman.conf but that still didn’t work.

• But wich driver are you using ?

-> nvidia-304xx
    -> nvidia-340xx (recommend for you card)
    -> nvidia

It work perfectly for me with the 340 and kernel 3.16.4 on all my cards that need it.

Long Live Antergos
    [Major Linux Problems on the Desktop or Why Linux is not (yet) Ready for the Desktop, 2016 edition] (http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html)

Posts 7Views 1423