• Install Pantheon D.E

In this guide we will see how to install the desktop environment Pantheon of elementary OS on Arch Linux and derivatives through a dedicated repo.

The first thing to do is to install Pantheon include third-party repositories, to do this just type in a terminal:

sudo nano /etc/pacman.conf

And insert the following:

SigLevel = Optional  
    Server = http://pkgbuild.com/~alucryd/$repo/$arch

Save everything with Ctrl + x and then s

Now we can install Pantheon typing:

sudo pacman -Sy pantheon-session-bzr

This allows us to install the minimal version of Pantheon without default applications, system settings, etc…
    If we want to complete the installation of the Pantheon with the various applications of default, font, etc. dedicated just type:

sudo pacman -Sy audience-bzr contractor-bzr dexter-contacts-bzr eidete-bzr elementary-icon-theme-bzr elementary-scan-bzr elementary-wallpapers-bzr gtk-theme-elementary-bzr geary indicator-pantheon-session-bzr lightdm-pantheon-greeter-bzr maya-calendar-bzr midori-granite-bzr noise-bzr pantheon-backgrounds-bzr pantheon-calculator-bzr pantheon-default-settings-bzr pantheon-files-bzr pantheon-notify-bzr pantheon-print-bzr pantheon-terminal-bzr plank-theme-pantheon-bzr scratch-text-editor-bz snap-photobooth-bzr switchboard-bzr ttf-opensans ttf-raleway-font-family ttf-dejavu ttf-droid ttf-freefont ttf-liberation

and confirm the installation.

At the end you just end the session or restart and go to the Pantheon session from display manager.

• In this guide we will see how to install the desktop environment Pantheon of elementary OS on Arch Linux and derivatives through a dedicated repo.

The first thing to do is to install Pantheon include third-party repositories, to do this just type in a terminal:

sudo nano /etc/pacman.conf

And insert the following:

SigLevel = Optional  
    Server = http://pkgbuild.com/~alucryd/$repo/$arch

Save everything with Ctrl + x and then s

Now we can install Pantheon typing:

sudo pacman -Sy pantheon-session-bzr

This allows us to install the minimal version of Pantheon without default applications, system settings, etc…
    If we want to complete the installation of the Pantheon with the various applications of default, font, etc. dedicated just type:

sudo pacman -Sy audience-bzr contractor-bzr dexter-contacts-bzr eidete-bzr elementary-icon-theme-bzr elementary-scan-bzr elementary-wallpapers-bzr gtk-theme-elementary-bzr geary indicator-pantheon-session-bzr lightdm-pantheon-greeter-bzr maya-calendar-bzr midori-granite-bzr noise-bzr pantheon-backgrounds-bzr pantheon-calculator-bzr pantheon-default-settings-bzr pantheon-files-bzr pantheon-notify-bzr pantheon-print-bzr pantheon-terminal-bzr plank-theme-pantheon-bzr scratch-text-editor-bz snap-photobooth-bzr switchboard-bzr ttf-opensans ttf-raleway-font-family ttf-dejavu ttf-droid ttf-freefont ttf-liberation

and confirm the installation.

At the end you just end the session or restart and go to the Pantheon session from display manager.

• What is so great about Pantheon? Seriously, I don’t get it… :)

• whats so great about anything really? everyone likes what they like. linux is all about choice.

thanks for the install help spellbound. i might try this out sometime for fun.

• @“megaman”:40xk8xoi said:

linux is all about choice.

Where I agree choice is important I feel like thare is to much choice in DE. For me it is causing some sort of comunautarism in linux communities. And a real lack of consensus and grouped work.

Long Live Antergos
    [Major Linux Problems on the Desktop or Why Linux is not (yet) Ready for the Desktop, 2016 edition] (http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html)

• @“megaman” said:

whats so great about anything really? everyone likes what they like. linux is all about choice.

thanks for the install help spellbound. i might try this out sometime for fun.

True enough, which is why I gravitate to Linux. With all the DE’s out there, Unity Gnome & Pantheon just don’t seem to work for me. I’m more of kde, Cinnamon type, but to each his own!

• Where I agree choice is important I feel like thare is to much choice in DE. For me it is causing some sort of comunautarism in linux communities. And a real lack of consensus and grouped work.

It does seem like we have a lot more little projects now instead of a few bigger DEs too choose from. not sure if thats a good or bad thing. for someone like me who doesnt even use a DE it seems fine everyone gets what they want. i guess the bigger downside is new users to linux are probably confused by so many options.

• im with you there. im not a fan of gnome at all since 3 was released. i like the more traditional desktop like kde or cinnamon or xfce.

But there seems to be a big following for elementary so i guess some people like it. linux users seem to have many different tastes in desktops and apps.

• Do you have any suggestions for which Desktop Environment we should first install to make this go as smoothly as possible?

I’m guessing that Gnome is probably the way to go since they’re so similar in many aspects. But that same argument could probably easily be made for Mate and Cinnamon as well.

Any input you can share would be totally awesome!

~ Ev

• @koesherbacon

This thead is a year old. Please, open a new one with your question, and read this:

https://forum.antergos.com/topic/2863/old-threads-or-necro-bumping

Thanks!

Posts 10Views 14540