• Donate Vs Invest

I have a suggestion regards “[u:3j3obcof]DONATE[/u:3j3obcof]” topic. After reading the book on language and skillful use of words (Words That Work: It’s Not What You Say, It’s What People Hear if anybody interested) I came to a realization that words are very powerful tools, and if used right can make a substantial difference.

The definition for [i:3j3obcof]Donate[/i:3j3obcof] - give (money or goods) for a good cause, for example to a charity.

[i:3j3obcof]Invest[/i:3j3obcof] - expend money, effort or time with the expectation of achieving a profit or material result by putting it into financial schemes, shares, or property, or by using it to develop a commercial venture.

For a common person, donate, is when you give money to somebody in need, like a homeless person, or charity fund. You do it for good of others, not expecting anything in return.

Investing, it means, that you know that sooner or later, you will be getting something back. By investing you are not just giving away your hard earned cash, you actually make the money to work for the project and have to see the result of it, and you can actually have to enjoy the fruits of your investment as well.

My suggestion for the administration of Antergos website is to change “[b:3j3obcof]Donate[/b:3j3obcof]” word to “[b:3j3obcof]Invest[/b:3j3obcof]”. Make it as an experiment. See the results. You never know what might happen.

• I have a suggestion regards “[u:3j3obcof]DONATE[/u:3j3obcof]” topic. After reading the book on language and skillful use of words (Words That Work: It’s Not What You Say, It’s What People Hear if anybody interested) I came to a realization that words are very powerful tools, and if used right can make a substantial difference.

The definition for [i:3j3obcof]Donate[/i:3j3obcof] - give (money or goods) for a good cause, for example to a charity.

[i:3j3obcof]Invest[/i:3j3obcof] - expend money, effort or time with the expectation of achieving a profit or material result by putting it into financial schemes, shares, or property, or by using it to develop a commercial venture.

For a common person, donate, is when you give money to somebody in need, like a homeless person, or charity fund. You do it for good of others, not expecting anything in return.

Investing, it means, that you know that sooner or later, you will be getting something back. By investing you are not just giving away your hard earned cash, you actually make the money to work for the project and have to see the result of it, and you can actually have to enjoy the fruits of your investment as well.

My suggestion for the administration of Antergos website is to change “[b:3j3obcof]Donate[/b:3j3obcof]” word to “[b:3j3obcof]Invest[/b:3j3obcof]”. Make it as an experiment. See the results. You never know what might happen.

• He has a point here.

Seriously, don’t want to look for another arch based distro again.

• Hi,

You make an interesting point. We will definitely discuss it. Though should we decide to make the change it would most likely be done at the same time we launch our new website design.

Cheers!

• I don’t see the point here.

It mus be cultural but for me donate is give money to a person / an organisation / etc to helps financialy in pure kindness and invest is give money to an organisation / a company / mostly professional waiting hooping your investissement will bring you money back plus give you a bonus. And I personaly don’t expect Antergos to act like a buisness and give me back my money and a bonus…

Sure words are powerfull but despite the definition in the dictionary they will not be undurstood the same way culturaly everywere.

Long Live Antergos
    [Major Linux Problems on the Desktop or Why Linux is not (yet) Ready for the Desktop, 2016 edition] (http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html)

• When you invest in something it doesn’t have to be money you get back afterwards.
    In this case it’s a perfectly working fast operating system.
    There aren’t many so…

• Thats why I say it may be cultural. In my mind make an investissement is something you do expecting a financial result. (and therefore something that can be negative or neutral) Contrary a donation is giving expecting nothing more that the best for the cause you donate (and therefore something really positive)

And I still incist of the cultural aspect of this and make a warning to make a change like that in your cultural view.

In extension when I see “invest” I think give money to a [i:2729vo1d]company[/i:2729vo1d], and when I see “donate” I don’t see any buisness related thing but a good cause. The word “invest” can be confusing and make think ppl Antergos is a company or own by a company.

Long Live Antergos
    [Major Linux Problems on the Desktop or Why Linux is not (yet) Ready for the Desktop, 2016 edition] (http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html)

• Don’t know maybe it’s cultural, but i don’t like it when people beg for money.
    Except when it’s for food, but i don’t think there starving at Antergos

My first thought when i see “Donate” on somebody’s site is "GET A JOB !"
    Invest sounds more positive to me.
    It’s the way you look at it i guess.

“Help us making this distro even greater”.

That would be a nice one.

• So for you donate is negative I think it is verry interesting. I don’t know why because for exemple Wikipedia ask for donation not investisment.

I try to explain th cultural thing : Here giving money to a company is forbiden but you can invest in it and you’ll own a part of the capital of the company and have the right to ask a % of the benefit. A donation is a thing you do to ppl who are not company you familly, a poor guy in the street, an association, a charities etc etc by pure act of kindness.

Investor here are mostly greedy rich and banks so why it is seen as bad. In the other hand donors are ppl that give as much as they can just to help something or someone to help them achieve a goal (very positive)

So I don’t like the term invest each time I’ll see this I would think Antergos is just an other linux company as RedHat and I will never have in mind the idea to put money on it. In the contrary when I see donation I see a group of person trying to achieve something on their own and I’ll gladly give them money to help them.

And I’ll say something that will look bad but if I haven’t seen this topic and see in the future on the website I would have stop using Antergos right away as good as it is. Just because I would have think it is now own by a company and I don’t want using distros own by companies.

Long Live Antergos

• A distro owned by a company doesn’t have to be bad.
    Lots of distro’s in the linux world are gone because they where build and maintained by volunteers.
    After a while they don’t have the time anymore for the distro because of work etc…
    That’s not the case with a commercial distro.

Think “Help/Support” would be a good one.

• I have to admit, it is quiet an interesting topic, and love to hear others opinion. It also interesting from cultural perspective, since these words have different cultural meanings in different societies. I see the moral thin line here.

Donate here is more like a gift or a present. Where Invest is more looked as commit, contribute (whatever is, time, code, energy or money)

I think in USA word “Donation” is looked upon as helping the weak and poor. While “Invest” is helping somebody with potential.

“Investment” suggests the responsible handling of resources. A dollar “donated” is a dollar you’ll never see again. A dollar “invested” is a dollar that comes back to you many times over. “Investment” is by definition reasonable and responsible. “In-
    vestment” is also by definition forward-looking, whereas “donating” implies instant gratification. Americans understand how important saving and investing are to their own personal finances—even if they don’t always (or ever) act on that
    understanding—and they react favorably toward the application of these principles.

“Investment” is more than just a political word, however. Projects that invest in technology, invest in their community, invest in job training, or invest in the future earn a higher level of appreciation. Even on a personal level, “invest-
    ing in your future” is one of the strongest motivations.

Posts 11Views 1605