• OpenBox Feedback

I’m an Arch newbie, but I am having some issues with Antergos Openbox. I am trying to run the package managers (the GUI one) to install GIMP, and other stuff but it keeps saying I don’t have permissions (I forget the exact error, but something along the lines of that). I was looking to try and run it as root, but I am not sure how to do that. Yes, I’ve searched.

In Windows, you can hold down shift and run an exe as admin, is there any equivalent to that with this?

Thanks,

Mike

• @Mike-Biocchi said:

I’m an Arch newbie, but I am having some issues with Antergos Openbox. I am trying to run the package managers (the GUI one) to install GIMP, and other stuff but it keeps saying I don’t have permissions (I forget the exact error, but something along the lines of that). I was looking to try and run it as root, but I am not sure how to do that. Yes, I’ve searched.

In Windows, you can hold down shift and run an exe as admin, is there any equivalent to that with this?

Thanks,

Mike

late reply here but what package manager are you using?

• ok just did a fresh install of openbox with the latest iso and must say the installer is very nice. i tried to install archbang this week with no success. problem with the dumb secure boot thing i think. antergos still seems to have the best openbox experience out of the box.

good work antergos ;)

• You could try Xfdashboard. Sorta like a Gnome desktop experience. You might like it.

• plank has stopped working after recent updates.

also i think it would be cool to add a crunchbang theme to the openbox install. maybe not as default but as a option would be cool and a tip of the hat to crunchbang.

• also on board with a few other people to use thunar as the default file manager. im even wondering if nautilus or nemo we could use? just dont want to bring in a ton of dependencies.

update the openbox conky would be nice too.

i noticed some people reporting the pamac software manager wasnt working. be good to get a working software manager on install. im using XG myself but either one is good.

• @megaman said:

nemo we could use?

:+1:

• I’ll check nemo dependencies, but I think it breaks all the openbox bang! experience ;)
    maybe thunar it’s best suited.

plank has stopped working after recent updates.

How come nobody has warned us! xD
    I’ll check it asap.

also i think it would be cool to add a crunchbang theme to the openbox install. maybe not as default but as a option >would be cool and a tip of the hat to crunchbang.

Not a fan of adding more than one theme, but yes, can be easily done. Do you have a package for it in the AUR?

• Oh, Openbox feedback

How about we remove

• Tint2
    • Plank
    • Lxterm
    • OBlogout
    • volumeicon

and install one dock. AUR packages: avant-window-navigator-bzr and awn-plugins-extra-bzr
    cuz AWN can handle all those things alone via plugins.

Why? To get chromixium without adding another DE to cnchi :smile:
    2015-04-01--1427833191_1366x768_scrot.jpg

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• @Yash that does look very nice!
    :+1:

i wonder how much ram its consuming though? plank and tint2 are very lightweight.

• @karasu ya i wasnt sure what nemo would bring in. we wouldnt want to bloat openbox and yeah lose our bang!
    :smile: thunar probably be a good fit.

i just did warn you about plank
    :wink:

yes i can understand keeping the one theme for all desktops.
    this is the only aur i found
    https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/waldorf-ui-theme/

just thought it would be a fun thing to add since crunchbox theme seems to be very popular.

• @megaman

OK! I agree with the pcmanfm -> thunar change. Will do it with the next Cnchi release ;)

I’ll pack a waldorf version just for you :p but won’t make it default because as you guessed we want to supply our own theme.

Cheers!

• @megaman

karasu [~]$ pacman -Ss waldorf
    antergos/waldorf-ui-theme 0.07-1
    Default GTK+ and Openbox themes for CrunchBang Waldorf.

• Newbie here, looking to tweak Antergos for audio production…

I can configure tint2 to display battery percentage. Any chance to use tint2 to…

1. display cpu temperature? and

2. display/configure cpu scaling (ondemand/performance/conservative/powersave) - maybe in conjunction with cpupower? AVLinux and TangoStudio (both Debian-based) have a CPU-Scaling Icon on taskbar (next to the clock) and I use it quite often.

Thanks!

• @mauriciocamara this thread from crunchbang might help

• Just wanted to chime in and say that the Antergos Openbox “Out-of-the-box” experience is excellent! Keep up the great work Antergos team!

• openbox continues to be a great out of the box setup. very light :+1:

• I love Antergos’s OpenBox, it’s so well thought out and designed. I’ve used openbox before and the one that come with Antergos is the most user friendly I’ve found. I’ve been using it for a couple of months as my recovery environment, here are my suggestion:

• the numix themes and icons are as usual very beautiful but for some reason they are not default. The default themes are some old school GTK themes and they really don’t look as good. I guess it’s a question of taste but I personally would set all the themes to numix as default.
    • I would lower the minimum space requirement to 4GB from 6GB by making the swap partition optional. OB runs at 400mb of ram and say chrome might need another 1000mbRAM with alot of tabs open, so anyone with 4GB+ ram would probably not need that swap partition. Once the installation is finished, you can delete the pkg files to free up 700mb and you can endup with an installation of around 3.3GB in a 4GB partition. I’m suggesting this because I think people could probably use OB as a secondary OS where they can perform recovery/backup/restore related tasks on a completly offline main Antergos installation on the same drive. If one is installing with that mindset, it would make sense to have it as compact as possible(especially if it’s on an SSD where space is at a premium).
    • I would add synapse to OB, it’s keyboard launcher that you can use to perform searches for files, folders, installed application, settings etc and it’s only 1meg in size. It’s amazing.
Posts 95Views 24093