• OpenBox Feedback

ok im back to good ol openbox and thought i would give some feedback on recent install and default options.

still seems to be bug with the install process. text missing on install pages. not sure if this is openbox alone or other desktops also. it was quite the adventure getting the install done but i made it ;)

the file manager thunar seems to be crashing a lot mostly when moving files in between folders. i did see the error code in the terminal and its something that might be addressed in a future thunar update. probably need to go back to pcmanfm which looks just as good now. they both have most the same features.

all the extra tint2 themes are gone from the last time i installed openbox. used to have many tint2 configs to choose from.

the actual look and feel i think could use an update. i know the goal is typically to give the desktops a universal look but think that is much harder to do with openbox. would love to see a new wallpaper with antergos logo on it. that deep blue is a killer on the eyes :fearful: maybe slim down openbox remove plank, conky, compton. lets give the openbox version an actual niche as a desktop for low end pcs and advanced users. i mean it even says it on the install its not for new users so lets roll with that.

we could load the tint2 with the apps launcher on it to do away with plank. just think it would be good to slim it down and any advanced user can easily add those features.

the system theme and icons dont seem to match very well either.

all these are just ideas i have. still a very good default setup. anyone who is good with openbox can make these changes very quickly but just think overall openbox could use a new coat of paint. maybe find that target audience we want. are we trying to present this to newbies, low end pcs, advanced users? what are we shooting for.

after looking through the task manager there is probably some more fat we could cut out of it. i mean this could really fly on some older machines.

anyway still think openbox is perfect for Arch :ok_hand: im glad antergos still includes it :+1:

• [OFF TOPIC)
    You look hell of a lot slimmer…traitor:thumbsup:

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.04 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @anarch said:

[OFF TOPIC)
    You look hell of a lot slimmer…traitor:thumbsup:

LOL what?? :smile: :laughing:

• [OFF TOPIC]
    Mmmmmm, I should have been clearer…
    “You look hell of a lot slimmer…ex-KDE traitor”.:punch:
    Welcome back!:open_hands:

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.04 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @anarch oh i get it haha very funny :smile: sorry i wont jump ship again until openbox is at the bottom of the ocean ;) :ship:

ALL HAIL OPENBOX! :sunglasses:

• the actual look and feel i think could use an update. i know the goal is typically to give the desktops a universal look but think that is much harder to do with openbox. would love to see a new wallpaper with antergos logo on it. that deep blue is a killer on the eyes :fearful: maybe slim down openbox remove plank, conky, compton. lets give the openbox version an actual niche as a desktop for low end pcs and advanced users. i mean it even says it on the install its not for new users so lets roll with that.
    We could load the tint2 with the apps launcher on it to do away with plank. just think it would be good to slim it down and any advanced user can easily add those features.

Hi,
    Well, when I created Openbox setup, my intention was to give a simple setup but not too simple for unexperienced users (unexperienced with Openbox, not with Linux).

I’m very open to changes, but I do not have time to do them myself atm… so maybe you can do it yourself. You just have to fork the openbox setup repo (https://github.com/Antergos/antergos-openbox-setup) (if you don’t know how to use git, you really should learn :p).

Change whatever you want, do a push request and, if I see fit, I’ll add it to our repo.

Before doing any changes ask me, so you don’t do some work that it will not be used in the end (I don’t want you to waste your time).

Please, if you have any doubts just ask.

Cheers!

• @megaman said:

the actual look and feel i think could use an update. i know the goal is typically to give the desktops a universal look but think that is much harder to do with openbox. would love to see a new wallpaper with antergos logo on it. that deep blue is a killer on the eyes :fearful: maybe slim down openbox remove plank, conky, compton. lets give the openbox version an actual niche as a desktop for low end pcs and advanced users. i mean it even says it on the install its not for new users so lets roll with that.

That was my feedback as well, the default and ancient gnome look from the mid-2000s is quite terrible behold but luckily, it can easily be changed as Numix themes come already bundled with the Antergos OpenBox install (at least it did when I installed it). The Numix openbox themes look absolutely amazing and slick (as do all Numix themes look on all of Antergos’ desktops - great job guys). I had suggested to that they be set as default since they’re already included in the install and look soooooooo much better than the default theme but I never got a response.

• That was my feedback as well, the default and ancient gnome look from the mid-2000s is quite terrible behold but luckily, it can easily be changed as Numix themes come already bundled with the Antergos OpenBox install (at least it did when I installed it). The Numix openbox themes look absolutely amazing and slick (as do all Numix themes look on all of Antergos’ desktops - great job guys). I had suggested to that they be set as default since they’re already included in the install and look soooooooo much better than the default theme but I never got a response.

There was a bug in the antergos-openbox-setup package. It should be ok now.

• I’ve been using Arch and Antergos with OB for some time now, I have a couple of suggestion (hope this thread is meant to be general and not temporal so I don’t necro).

1. I disagree with the shift pcmanfm->thunar (I was actually surprised to find it like this when I installed Antergos lately, some time after the last time I had it). It’s lighter on resources - both download/install/dependencies size and RAM consumption. Thunar still have bugs and it doesn’t offer more features like the nautiluses do (if there was a light version for it without desktop-dependencies I would totally root for it). Unless I’m wrong, thunar was written especially for ppl who want to write their own plugins - which is cool, but complicated for the average user - so it’s safe to have these users install it on their own while the majority just get the simpler thing that does more with less resources out-of-the-box.
    2. Lightdm->lxdm simply lighter and faster - also, there is a tendacy for lightdm to open multiple webkit processes (not closing when screenlocking->relogging)
    3. I would also edit rc.xml to introduce a screenshot shortcut (saved in ~/home/Pictures using a timestamp in their name and immidiately opened with and image-viewer, so that it’s easy to edit and delete the screenshots). I personally prefer ristretto over gpicview for the extra features (in the screenshot context - it easly opens the image with GIMP for editing if installed).
    4. A lighter browser - it’s no secret that chromium isn’t particularly light, in constrast of other software on this version of the distro. I’m not an expert of light browser, but I know of some lighter browsers that are considered decent (althogh having some drawback like midori and it’s zeitgeist processes and qupzilla which is quite good I think, but uses Qt unlike the rest of this distro - maybe not that bad as it still has less deps than most browsers idk… Anyway, I’m sure a bit of research will result in a light alternative which can be offered at least as an installation option like firefox currently is)
    5. One last thing is the antergos-openbox dependecy. If there’s a way to reduce the amount of programs that have this dependency it would be great, as users would feel more comfortable to replace programs installed for them with the ones they like

I hope this ppost is taken as an intent to contribute the community with suggestions to imrove this project. I certainly don’t think the way it is now is bad (otherwise I wouldn’t use it or write this post). The developers made a wonderful work here.
    I’m sorry if my English is a bit rough around the edges and not so nice to read, It’s not my native language

EDIT: On a final note, I guess some of what I wrote here might not be right, or might be neglecting a bigger picture I don’t see, as I write from my personal and sometimes narrow POV. I would love to hear also where I’m wrong so I can learn from you guys as well

• Hi @saoded

Thanks for your suggestions, let’s have a look at them:

1. That’s funny because when we chose the file manager, we went for pcmanfm. We got a lot of “complains” because people preferred thunar instead, so we made the change.

2. We use lightdm because we want to offer the same login manager for all DE’s. It’s a distro decision.

3. That’s perfectly reasonable and a very good idea. You can do it yourself here (you’ll need a github account) https://github.com/Antergos/antergos-openbox-setup/tree/master/home/<USERNAME>/.config/openbox

4. You’re not the first to suggest more browsers (or even the option to not to install one) in the Cnchi installer. Consider it done (but we’ll leave Chromium as default for all DE’s, and the user must disable it and enable another one if he/she wants it).

5. The antergos-openbox dependency helps us to choose what to install from Cnchi (the installer). Also, if a user installs openbox later, he can apply our “setup” and install our selection of programs just by installing that package. Is similar to what ubuntu-desktop/xunbuntu-desktop packages do in Ubuntu. So I’m afraid this is not going to change.

Please, feel free to discuss these and other things about our Openbox DE setup. We’re very open to suggestions.

Cheers!

• There is a bug!
    Parcellite jumps up and spams the window for some time until I kill it. This is from fresh boot and i also had it on my old installation of antegros and thought that is was my fault but it is not. I can’t be the only one then.

I tried to uninstall and guess what? the next item that boots is affected, a small network window and it spams even worse! So I reinstalled parcellite because it was “less annoying”.

Please help! thx!

• @mauriciocamara said in OpenBox Feedback:

Newbie here, looking to tweak Antergos for audio production…

I can configure tint2 to display battery percentage. Any chance to use tint2 to…

1. display cpu temperature? and

2. display/configure cpu scaling (ondemand/performance/conservative/powersave) - maybe in conjunction with cpupower? AVLinux and TangoStudio (both Debian-based) have a CPU-Scaling Icon on taskbar (next to the clock) and I use it quite often.

Thanks!

Edit your tint2 config to add the battery.
    vi .config/tint2/tint2rc

Change tha value from 0 to 1 in the file beneath:
    #---------------------------------------------

BATTERY

#---------------------------------------------
    battery = 1

Save and it will show up whenever you use battery!

The other thing I don’t know about but it sound kind of fancy, I have tried those things in the past but my CPU on my laptop is rather intelligent on its own (guess that I am lucky).

• I like the Antergos Openbox very much, very slick, nice visuals and functional dock. This is a good alternative to ArchBang which I had been using before as a minimal Arch laptop installer.

Everything worked out of the box from the single CD installer image, with a few hiccups during install (self inflicted)

One issue was the very slow login/password dialog box on the lightdm. Each character entered was delayed half a second. I replaced lightdm-webkit2-greeter with the standard lightdm-gtk-greeter and no more slowness.

• One issue was the very slow login/password dialog box on the lightdm. Each character entered was delayed half a second. I replaced lightdm-webkit2-greeter with the standard lightdm-gtk-greeter and no more slowness.

Yep, you’re not the first to report this. I think is webkitgtk related, but we can’t reproduce it here. We’re planning some changes that hopefully will fix this (among other problems) with our login screen.

Glad you liked our Openbox setup, though.

Cheers!

Posts 95Views 19678