• Grub reinstall after full system upgrade ? \[IN-PROGRESS\]

I just done a full system upgrade (pacman -Syyu) and after a reboot, GDM display a “OOPS …error” but managed to get back to graphical login prompt. But no way to logon (always tell me password is wrong) even if keymap shown is fine.

So i done ALT-F2, logged into root and executed :
    grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    grub-install /dev/sda
    reboot

Everythings back to normal.

Is it documented somewhere that for some system upgrade, a manual reinstallation of grub is required ?

• I just done a full system upgrade (pacman -Syyu) and after a reboot, GDM display a “OOPS …error” but managed to get back to graphical login prompt. But no way to logon (always tell me password is wrong) even if keymap shown is fine.

So i done ALT-F2, logged into root and executed :
    grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    grub-install /dev/sda
    reboot

Everythings back to normal.

Is it documented somewhere that for some system upgrade, a manual reinstallation of grub is required ?

• That does not sound like a GRUB related issue. If you were getting to GDM and able to input a password then GRUB did its job correctly. Usually when you get password errors like that it has to do with pam not communicating with GDM for whatever reason. Running “systemctl status gdm.service” will show you if there are log errors related to gdm and “systemctl restart gdm.service” can sometimes correct the issue. Something to check on though: See if your boot folder contains leftover kernel init files from previous versions. If it does, delete them. Let us know if you experience any other issues

• There’s one thing i didn’t mentioned :
    Before updating grub, when my laptop was rebooting, there was some kind of error message that briefly appeared on screen (too fast to read) before the grub menu is displayed.
    After grub update, this was gone.

So i’m assuming there was something wrong but maybe i’ll never know how/why/what/when…

Final question just to confirm :
    When doing a “pacman -Syyu”, if kernel or grub get’s an update, is the process (scripts) of updating grub is done automatically ?

• Yes, pacman will run grub-mkconfig and mkinitcpio after any updates are installed to grub or kernel. I have yet to experience any failures in that process. I don’t think you have anything to worry about

Posts 5Views 2202