• [SOLVED] Antergos as gaming distro (?)

I never had Arch or anything outside Debian-like distributions installed, so I have a question: is there a way (preferably simple one) to install latest Wine, PlayOnLinux and native Steam? I ain’t a big gamer but a way to play WoW, LoL or TF2 would be great.

I am yet to install Antergos do I can’t test it myself due to boot bug. I don’t need detailed instructions yet.

• I never had Arch or anything outside Debian-like distributions installed, so I have a question: is there a way (preferably simple one) to install latest Wine, PlayOnLinux and native Steam? I ain’t a big gamer but a way to play WoW, LoL or TF2 would be great.

I am yet to install Antergos do I can’t test it myself due to boot bug. I don’t need detailed instructions yet.

• You have available that software in the official repos so just:

sudo pacman -S wine playonlinux steam

Or use PacmanXG if you want to do it graphically

• I never hoped it would be THAT simple.

Now Antergos is a must on my laptop.

• I have used Wine for ages with Nvidia drivers on my desktop and have been playing WoW for litterally years that way. Since Cinnarch and now Antergos, wine install from pacmanXG works great for me.

• Using PlayOnLinux would be easier though.

• @“galkt”:2shqhgi3 said:

I never had Arch or anything outside Debian-like distributions installed, so I have a question: is there a way (preferably simple one) to install latest Wine, PlayOnLinux and native Steam? I ain’t a big gamer but a way to play WoW, LoL or TF2 would be great.

hello,
    sorry for the off-topic but, could explain me how did you manage to play LoL in linux? besides installing wine. I just need to be pointed to the right direction plz.

• @“cyclothunder”:38voyfry said:

hello,
    sorry for the off-topic but, could explain me how did you manage to play LoL in linux? besides installing wine. I just need to be pointed to the right direction plz.

[b:38voyfry]First:[/b:38voyfry]

> sudo pacman -S playonlinux  
    > 

[b:38voyfry]Second[/b:38voyfry]: Open > click Install > tick “Testing” > search for “League of Legends” > follow the steps.

[b:38voyfry]Optional third[/b:38voyfry]: [Check here and have a read.[/url:38voyfry]

I don’t have the game so I can’t help you further but there’s a lot of information on winehq.]0

• Hi, I just install Antergos 2015 and I want to install wine:
    [[email protected] ~]$ sudo pacman -S wine
    błąd: pakiet wine nie został znaleziony
    [[email protected] ~]$

That means Error: package don’t found.

• As wine stable is 32 bit you have to enable your multilib repository (there’s an unstable 64bit version, though).

Just edit your /etc/pacman.conf file and uncomment the multilib repo (remove # from the start). It should look like this:

[multilib]
    Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

Cheers!

• @faidoc said:

You have available that software in the official repos so just:

Or use PacmanXG if you want to do it graphically

PlayonLinux installs wine automatically 👍

• @Mikaela said:

I would probably use Ubuntu MATE for gaming as Steam for Linux is focused on Ubuntu and at least I have had issues with Steam and Antergos.

Steam ships with it’s own runtime including ancient (looking from Antergos) drivers which often don’t work directly and then you have difficulties and must either remove them and watch them return on next update or not use the steam runtime in which case you must find the packages and install them by yourself.

More about that at Steam page at Arch wiki.

What issues? If it’s on the Arch official repo you shouldn’t be getting any. I haven’t had any.

There is no need for Ubuntu.

• @Mikaela said:

@Wyn said:

What issues? If it’s on the Arch official repo you shouldn’t be getting any. I haven’t had any.

For example the ones that I mentioned in my response. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam#Troubleshooting & https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam#Using_native_runtime

Besides the Ati driver (Not up to snuff unlike nvidia for linux), everything else is straight forward to update. It would take even longer to install a new distro.

• @faidoc said:

I get response “fout:doel niet gevonden: steam” which means “error: target not found: steam”… do I need to add repositories manually?

• @Rolf-Allard-van-Hagen Steam is available in multilib repository (for 64bit Arch)

You just need to uncomment (remove the # before the lines) in /etc/pacman.conf

[multilib]

• @Yash that worked great! Thanks :)

• @Yash That’s exactly what I said! People does not believe me… 😢

• @karasu Oh I just saw it, and I believe you Karasu, should’ve pointed to your comment.

• go to the Gaming and multimedia section of this website i have put up a topic called “Games + Antergos = Pure awesomeness ---- Tutorial to install Steam.” Inside that topic are not only my thoughts and a bit of sharing of my great gaming experience with Antergos…But i have a very detailed tutorial on installing Steam…plus i threw in a link to the youtube video where i found the info…but you will want to use my notes on how to install instead of the one he posted in the description…As his code may work for him, but it wont work for you…but i have worked out the kinks and posted a very good tutorial…and now steam runs amazingly on my computer.

• @Yash said:

You just need to uncomment (remove the # before the lines) in /etc/pacman.conf

[multilib]

Hello all
    it might be a dummy question but why isn’t multilib repo enabled by default in Pacman with Antergos ?

Posts 21Views 10820
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.