• [SOLVED] Antergos as gaming distro (?)

I never had Arch or anything outside Debian-like distributions installed, so I have a question: is there a way (preferably simple one) to install latest Wine, PlayOnLinux and native Steam? I ain’t a big gamer but a way to play WoW, LoL or TF2 would be great.

I am yet to install Antergos do I can’t test it myself due to boot bug. I don’t need detailed instructions yet.

Polish Antergos User… and damn proud of it.

• I never had Arch or anything outside Debian-like distributions installed, so I have a question: is there a way (preferably simple one) to install latest Wine, PlayOnLinux and native Steam? I ain’t a big gamer but a way to play WoW, LoL or TF2 would be great.

I am yet to install Antergos do I can’t test it myself due to boot bug. I don’t need detailed instructions yet.

• You have available that software in the official repos so just:

sudo pacman -S wine playonlinux steam

Or use PacmanXG if you want to do it graphically

• I never hoped it would be THAT simple.

Now Antergos is a must on my laptop.

• I have used Wine for ages with Nvidia drivers on my desktop and have been playing WoW for litterally years that way. Since Cinnarch and now Antergos, wine install from pacmanXG works great for me.

• Using PlayOnLinux would be easier though.

• @“galkt”:2shqhgi3 said:

I never had Arch or anything outside Debian-like distributions installed, so I have a question: is there a way (preferably simple one) to install latest Wine, PlayOnLinux and native Steam? I ain’t a big gamer but a way to play WoW, LoL or TF2 would be great.

hello,
    sorry for the off-topic but, could explain me how did you manage to play LoL in linux? besides installing wine. I just need to be pointed to the right direction plz.

• @“cyclothunder”:38voyfry said:

hello,
    sorry for the off-topic but, could explain me how did you manage to play LoL in linux? besides installing wine. I just need to be pointed to the right direction plz.

[b:38voyfry]First:[/b:38voyfry]

> sudo pacman -S playonlinux  
    > 

[b:38voyfry]Second[/b:38voyfry]: Open > click Install > tick “Testing” > search for “League of Legends” > follow the steps.

[b:38voyfry]Optional third[/b:38voyfry]: [Check here and have a read.[/url:38voyfry]

I don’t have the game so I can’t help you further but there’s a lot of information on winehq.]0

• Hi, I just install Antergos 2015 and I want to install wine:
    [[email protected] ~]$ sudo pacman -S wine
    błąd: pakiet wine nie został znaleziony
    [[email protected] ~]$

That means Error: package don’t found.

• As wine stable is 32 bit you have to enable your multilib repository (there’s an unstable 64bit version, though).

Just edit your /etc/pacman.conf file and uncomment the multilib repo (remove # from the start). It should look like this:

[multilib]
    Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

Cheers!

• @faidoc said:

You have available that software in the official repos so just:

Or use PacmanXG if you want to do it graphically

PlayonLinux installs wine automatically :+1:

I7 [email protected]/32GB Ram/3440 x 1440 + 1440p/EVGA 1080 FTW/512GB SSD/2TB HD/Antergos Base w/ Plasma

• I would probably use Ubuntu MATE for gaming as Steam for Linux is focused on Ubuntu and at least I have had issues with Steam and Antergos.

Steam ships with it’s own runtime including ancient (looking from Antergos) drivers which often don’t work directly and then you have difficulties and must either remove them and watch them return on next update or not use the steam runtime in which case you must find the packages and install them by yourself.

More about that at Steam page at Arch wiki.

• @Mikaela said:

I would probably use Ubuntu MATE for gaming as Steam for Linux is focused on Ubuntu and at least I have had issues with Steam and Antergos.

Steam ships with it’s own runtime including ancient (looking from Antergos) drivers which often don’t work directly and then you have difficulties and must either remove them and watch them return on next update or not use the steam runtime in which case you must find the packages and install them by yourself.

More about that at Steam page at Arch wiki.

What issues? If it’s on the Arch official repo you shouldn’t be getting any. I haven’t had any.

There is no need for Ubuntu.

I7 [email protected]/32GB Ram/3440 x 1440 + 1440p/EVGA 1080 FTW/512GB SSD/2TB HD/Antergos Base w/ Plasma

• @Wyn said:

What issues? If it’s on the Arch official repo you shouldn’t be getting any. I haven’t had any.

For example the ones that I mentioned in my response. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam#Troubleshooting & https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam#Using_native_runtime

• @Mikaela said:

@Wyn said:

For example the ones that I mentioned in my response. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam#Troubleshooting & https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam#Using_native_runtime

Besides the Ati driver (Not up to snuff unlike nvidia for linux), everything else is straight forward to update. It would take even longer to install a new distro.

• I have sadly only been suing only ATI cards and I assumed that some of the issues also apply to other users. I also didn’t see where @galkt said that they already installed Antergos.

I hope that they have other reasons to want Antergos than gaming and are ready for it.

• @faidoc said:

I get response “fout:doel niet gevonden: steam” which means “error: target not found: steam”… do I need to add repositories manually?

• @Rolf-Allard-van-Hagen Steam is available in multilib repository (for 64bit Arch)

You just need to uncomment (remove the # before the lines) in /etc/pacman.conf

[multilib]
    Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• @Yash that worked great! Thanks :)

• @Yash That’s exactly what I said! People does not believe me… :cry:

Posts 24Views 7787