• Linux Kernel 5.2 - Random Freezes

Hello Everyone,

I upgraded my Antergos installation to the new 5.2 kernel last night, and I’ve noticed my machine randomly freezes. Ever after several reboots and trying to close out applications, with a ‘freshly’ booted system, I still get freezes. My machine is a Dell XPS 13 (9350) model, and I am unsure how to troubleshoot things or if I should just rollback.

Anyone else seeing issues? TIA.

Thanks,
    Asif

• Upgraded to 5.2 yesterday on 3 computers - two Acer and one Dell XPS 17 (L702x), - in 39 independent Linuxes.

No freezes or any other problem at all. Nowhere.

$  uname --all
    Linux alexzen.net 5.2.0-arch2-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jul 8 18:18:54 UTC 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux

• What DE are you using and do you by chance use any chromium based browser?

• @Bryanpwo Uh-oh. The question is not as simple as it seems to be.

For me “install Linux” means “install four independent DEs, in four different partitions”.

Four DEs are:

• Mate
    • Gnome
    • Cinnamon
    • Plasma

The gold rule of thumb is: one DE - one partition.

Each of two Acer have 14 partitions - thirteen 20 G for Linuxes + one common 240 G data partition, which is shared between all installed Linuxes.

Dell has 28 partitions - twenty six 20 G for Linuxes + two common 240 G data partitions, which are shared between all Linuxes.

So, for example, “Antergos installation” means Antergos-Mate installed in one partition, plus A-Gnome in another, plus A-Cinnamon in third, plus A-Plasma in fourth.

One partition on each computer is dedicated to “main” Linux - the one where Grub (not Grub 2) boots computers from.

Acer #1 holds:

• native Arch-Mate (main)
    • native Arch (4 DEs)
    • Bridge (4 DEs)
    • Zen (4 DEs)

Acer #2 holds:

• native Arch-Cinnamon (main)
    • Antergos (4 DEs)
    • Revenge (4 DEs)
    • ArcoLinux (4 DEs)

Dell holds:

• Bluestar (main)
    • Fedora 30 (4 DEs)
    • openSUSE Tumbleweed (4 DEs)
    • Debian OldStable (4 DEs)
    • Debian Stable (4 DEs)
    • Debian Testing (4 DEs)
    • 5 free partitions, for various tests (Enlightenment, Budgie, others)

Two dozens of Linuxes, always in 4-DE configuration, are installed on parents’ and daughter’s computers, nut I don’t count them here.

Chromium-based browsers:

• Chromium itself (most used)
    • Opera (when in need of VPN)
    • Brave (badly syncs with Android)
    • Vivaldi (not like it much)

Hope to not miss something ☺ .

• I am using the Gnome DE under wayland. I have Chromium installed (and use it occasionally), but my default browser the past few months has been Brave.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information. Thanks!

• @just That’s impressive!!

My bad, the question was to @brownkid84 😁

• @brownkid84
    Try switch to Xorg, I think wayland is the culprit here of your freezes. (just choose the option in GDM Gnome on Xorg)

• I’m seeing this issue as well. I logged in under Xorg and still getting random freezes. Is there a way to downgrade back to the previous kernel easily?

• @a4orce84 said in Linux Kernel 5.2 - Random Freezes:

…Is there a way to downgrade back to the previous kernel easily?

Get and install any kernel you wish from ALA (Arch Linux Archive, former Arch Rollback Machine, ARM).

Official Arch stable kernels are here.

Remember to mkinitcpio and to pin it with IgnorePkg=, otherwise it’ll be upgraded to latest one at the first upgrade.

• or try with linux-lts. and wait when a new update comes, some first updates can be painfull but afterwards it can improven having linux-lts is not a neccesary bloath, just handy

• Anyone else seeing this issue?

kernel152 freezes27 random17 5.21 Posts 11Views 200
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.