• Antergos no more

Dear just -

Well, thanks for trying to help me anyway. I can’t figure this out either. I am going to wait until July 15 and then install Endeavour OS onto this computer.

I hope that that operating system will work as well as Antergos did. (This morning my wife said, “Just when we get an operating system [Antergos] with which we have never had a problem, they have to discontinue it …”)

If I have trouble with Endeavour OS, then I’ll go back to Manjaro.

I still have several computers still running Antergos on which I have made no changes. I’ll continue to use them as long as possible.

Thank you again.

Lawrence

P.S. I did get yay-bin from the AUR.

• @just Dear Just -

I have four other computers running Antergos. Using common sense, I copied the < pacman.conf > file from one of my others and replaced the one that wasn’t working on this computer.

Now this one works again, though I have not tried (again) to change that file.

Perhaps I’ll try doing that tomorrow …

In the meantime, I’m looking forward to trying Endeavour OS.

Again, thank you for your help.

Lawrence

• Well, I’m glad that your workaround worked for you. Though it would be better to find a real solution. That’s the way Linux is learned.

Honestly, I don’t understand people eager to replace their existing Antergos with another OS. If they have stable, well-running Antergos, why don’t they simply remove Antergos customization to remain with clean Arch Linux system?

Arch, without customization, is far more stable than any of its existing clones. Only Debian Stable is as stable as Arch. I use both in parallel from 2000.

If someone misses additional Antergos packages, than there are literally dozens of third-party repos available. With all kinds of software, for all tastes.

After almost a decade of development Antergos has reached a high degree of polishing and maturity. I think that for a certain period of time many problems, inconveniences, cleaned out from Antergos, will be present again in a new OS.

I can’t understand why people want to leave pure Arch and pass to one of its clones.

These are questions that I continue to ask myself for 3 weeks and can’t find an answer.

Good luck with EOS.

• @just said in Antergos no more:

Honestly, I don’t understand people eager to replace their existing Antergos with another OS. If they have stable, well-running Antergos, why don’t they simply remove Antergos customization to remain with clean Arch Linux system?

Agreed.
    i’ll keep on using antergos here (1 pc and 1 notebook)
    I also have ubuntu and portergos in the same note.
    And 1 pc with portergos.

I can’t understand why people want to leave pure Arch and pass to one of its clones.

Agreed². Specially if it’s already installed and ready to go.

The biggest goal for Endeavour is to have arch installed easy and a good community.

• @just I am going to keep Antergos on our ‘main’ computers for the time being but the reason I am going to investigate EndeavourOS is because if something does happen to my Antergos installation (probably because of some stupid error on my part - this has happened many times, though not, so far, with Antergos), I cannot reinstall Antergos.

If EndeavourOS is as good as it’s promised to be, I’ll probably switch all of our computers over to it. I really want a good, stable Arch-based operating system.

I had thought that Antergos was “it” and was very disappointed when the team announced its discontinuation and, even more importantly, that they would not allow anyone else to carry on.

Frankly, in my opinion (my opinion only), this was very mean of them. As the development so far of EndeavourOS has shown, there are a lot of people who liked Antergos and who would have liked to see it continue.

Lawrence

• @lhb1142 just antfree parts what needed you can have always a backup iso if there is something

• @ringo32 said in Antergos no more:

@lhb1142 just antfree parts what needed you can have always a backup iso if there is something

Sounds easy - except I have no idea about what you are saying nor would I know how to do it. I had looked at installing Antefree but, frankly, it’s just too complicated for me.

Can you (or someone else) give me an easy step-by-step method (suitable for someone like me who can follow directions but has no knowledge of the actual inner workings of a GNU/Linux distribution) to make a backup iso so that I could retain Antergos?

If I can follow your instructions and do it, fine. Otherwise I’ll have to migrate to another Arch-based distro, probably EndeavourOS.

Thank you.

• @lhb1142 you didnt see the antfree topics ?

@lhb1142 you didnt see the antfree topics ?

Yes I saw them. They seem a bit complicated for me plus I didn’t see anything related to Xfce (which is what I use). I suppose the Gnome command(s) would work.

I may try doing this on one of my spare computers but, frankly, I’m probably going to migrate to something else, most likely EndeavourOS.

• its not basicly so dificult but you have to know a bit ;; general is not so systemic change, only the anteergos greeter theme can be problematic if not get updated, you can set antergos repo in pacman.conf more low then above other repo’s. in time you can transform into more other type, but set repos in /etc/pacman.conf down under the other repos is a start point… changing a greeter is stable because antergos greeter relies on webkit2gtk that can be problematic after an upgrade…

going intoo telegram or irc mayby we can figure out more :)

its not basicly so dificult but you have to know a bit ;; general is not so systemic change, only the anteergos greeter theme can be problematic if not get updated, you can set antergos repo in pacman.conf more low then above other repo’s. in time you can transform into more other type, but set repos in /etc/pacman.conf down under the other repos is a start point… changing a greeter is stable because antergos greeter relies on webkit2gtk that can be problematic after an upgrade…

going intoo telegram or irc mayby we can figure out more :)

Frankly I have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about! That’s probably why it will be better for me to move to another distro.

But I do thank you for replying to me.

Posts 31Views 1123
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.