• After Antergos...

@debiandonder
    I can go for Ma… I can’t even type it.😱 😜

• Ahaha, i guess everyone in here once has or tried to have an affair with Ma… :P

You know… youth… everyone’s curious…
    That’s why it’s so emotional for some :P

But good old Antegos didn’t care about that, all have been forgiven.

• Rest assured, your Antergos will work as Arch for a long period of time. And as @Bryanpwo already implied, there will be something worth waiting for during that period. 😅

• @nate_x said in After Antergos...:

Ahaha, i guess everyone in here once has or tried to have an affair with Ma… :P

I took her for a spin on a DVD in live environment and found her to heavy for my taste.

Damn that’s sounds weird!

• I hope you didn’t break anything!!😏

• @Bryanpwo said in After Antergos...:

I hope you didn’t break anything!!😏

It was our first date and she demanded I download a Gig of updates! I just got out of there, too demanding!

• Well, in my case I never got Ma… to finish what it started. Just left a mess and didn’t deliver. Having some installer issues right now… she said. I wouldn’t have any of that.
    That’s when I noticed Antergos waving from a distance. A cute smile, undemanding, no words, just deeds. Fixed my rig all up in no time.
    Have a trusty new machine running ever since. Changing the outfit and make-up from time to time. But that’s about it.

BTW, I just fired up a VM and installed the latest Antergos image. Wanted to see what would happen if I removed everything Antergos from it. Removed all packages containing antergos in their name and then removed the repository from pacman.conf. Appears to run smoothly.

Install went ok, but only on the second run though. The first time I attempted a barebone install but it froze my host OS and had to hard reset the PC (not sure if it was an issue with VirtualBox or something else). The second time I enabled UEFI (instead of the default BIOS mode) in the VM settings and chose a DE during the install. Dunno which of these allowed for the install to run smoothly.

• Even on a Arch-Like system as M… stability is also never guaranteed…some issues is pretty subjective :)

• I do not like to be in an unknown state… Therefore, I removed all dependency on Antergos repositories and reinstalled some packages. At the same time, I checked the work of Timeshift - it really works 😀 So now I can say I have a “clean” Arch Linux, which was easily installed thanks to Antergos.

• @debiandonder I keeps M on another system so it doesn’t cause me issues with Antergos. But it’s slow to keep up. Always behind Antergos then sometimes it has way too many updates all at once.

• @ricklinux That’s my problem with Manjaro too. Manjaro XFCE is very customizable but I don’t use many programs and don’t even have a printer.

• Again, I’m not talking about my current system but about the future: a few months from now, when the packages.xml in cnchi will probably be stale. A way of installing Arch quickly on new machines with luks and a working desktop. Is there an installer for this somewhere?

• some arch-based installers has also Calamares , probably you have to see that luks is setup.

• @narses This community is still committed to provide exactly what Antergos did: a clean way to install an as close as possible to Arch distro with a very thin layer (call it frosting) on top for easier system maintenance.

I don’t think the packages will become stale, because by that time they will already be maintained by the current team.

For the time being, removing the Antergos packages and repository will leave you with a stable Arch install. However you won;t even have to do this by yourself. The old Antergos team said it will eventually push an update before the three months till Antergos’ end-of-life which will cleanly remove all Antergos related from the system while leaving the system in a clean functional state.

If you ask me there is no need for any action to be taken right now, if the system starts to become unstable, which it shouldn’t, removing the Antergos packages and repo should always be an option.

• @nate_x said in After Antergos...:

If you ask me there is no need for any action to be taken right now,…

Excellent, totally agree.

As a precaution, the [antergos] repo may be moved to the lowest priority first. This way, native Arch packages will start to replace their Antergos counterparts, if any.

Once Arch packages have replaced Antergos ones, and Antergos-specific packages, without Arch counterparts, have been uninstalled by hand, it will be safe to completely remove [antergos] repo.

I did it this way. [antergos] repo is at the bottom of the list. Antergos continues to work perfectly. Though it’s more Arch than Antergos now.

• @just can you give us step by step guide of how to do that? Me and many others dont know how to do that, or we feel unsure if we do it the right way!

• As antergos uses its own webkit-greeter for Lightdm is also the best to change it to a greeter that is maintained like lightdm-slick-greeter or lightdm-gtk-greeter for the lightdm users. further is nothing else can interfere

• Ok, thanks for your replies everyone!

@ringo32 yep, I always replace it with gdm anyway as I don’t like lightdm :)

• @andreasdimo79 said in After Antergos...:

@just can you give us step by step guide of how to do that?..

It’s impossible to give detailed step-by-step instructions, suitable for all possible cases.

Main steps in gradual Antergos to Arch transition are simple. Attention and some skills are needed only when we’re about to take a decision about each single package to replace or remove.

1. Remove Antergos meta-package from the DE

It acts as a glue, making all DE as a completely monolithic, non-editable in any way piece of software. Remove it without dependencies, otherwise pacman will remove all DE, Xorg, Wayland and whatsever. It means, use the -R command without any additional switch.

For example:

sudo pacman -R antergos-mate-meta
    sudo pacman -R antergos-cinnamon-meta
    sudo pacman -R antergos-gnome-meta
    sudo pacman -R antergos-kde-meta

1. Move [antergos] repo to the lowest priority

It means, move it below all other repos in the /etc/pacman.conf file.

To take a look at your current repos order, run the command

sudo pacman -Syy

The command will update databases only, without upgrading anything. We’re interested in the collateral command’s effect - it lists repos in the order pacman “sees” them. Higher the repo in the list, higher its priority. Lower repo, lower priority. [antergos] repo has the highset priority below. It’s default Antergos setup.

You’ll probably see smth like this:

┌──[just]@[alexarc]:~$
    └─> sudo pacman -Syy
    :: Synchronizing package databases...
     antergos     134.1 KiB  2002K/s 00:00 [------] 100%
     core         134.1 KiB  4.85M/s 00:00 [------] 100%
     extra       1661.2 KiB  6.76M/s 00:00 [------] 100%
     community      4.8 MiB  8.17M/s 00:01 [------] 100%
     multilib     173.0 KiB  9.94M/s 00:00 [------] 100%
    └─> 

Edit /etc/pacman.conf, and move [antergos] below [multilib]. Save the file, and look at repos order again:

└─> sudo pacman -Syy
    :: Synchronizing package databases...
     core        134.1 KiB  4.85M/s 00:00 [-------] 100%
     extra      1661.2 KiB  6.76M/s 00:00 [-------] 100%
     community     4.8 MiB  8.17M/s 00:01 [-------] 100%
     multilib    173.0 KiB  9.94M/s 00:00 [-------] 100%
     antergos    134.1 KiB  2002K/s 00:00 [-------] 100%
    └─> 

[antergos] is at the lowest priority now.

Pacman reads the repos in that order. From highest priority to lowest.

1. Upgade and downgrade packages

If a package with the same name is present in more than one repo, then pacman considers only the first one it finds - i.e., a package from a repo with the higher priority.

Pacman doesn’t consider the version of a package. It installs the first one found. If a package ABC is present in [antergos] with version 3.2.1, in [community] repo with version 1.2.3, and [community] has higher priority than [antergos], then pacman installs ABC from [community]: ABC-1.2.3.

Following this rule, pacman will replace all packages with the same name, originally installed from [antergos] repo, with their homonyms from [core], [extra], [community], [multilib] repos, in this order.

Some [antergos] pkgs may be upgrarded. Upgrades are safe. Do them.

But pacman may want to downgrade other packages. Pacman never downgrades anything without user’s permission. Look closely at all packages pacman wants to downgrade and, if it’s OK for you, allow downgrades with -uu switch:

Upgrades enabled, downgrades disabled:

sudo pacman -Syu

Both upgrades and downgrades are enabled:

sudo pacman -Syuu

1. Uninstall Antergos-specific packages

These are packages, installed from the [antergos] repo.

Now that meta-package(s) are already removed, it is relatively simple to remove [antergos] packages one by one.

Why relatively? Because Arch is made by dependencies, not by packages. It’s extremely important to make a full, clean uninstall, removing all unneeded dependencies and at the same time preserving and not breaking those needed.

Two rules of thumb are:

a. The best cleanup (uninstall, removal) is done with the commnd:

sudo pacman -Rcnssu package-name

It removes a package, all package dependencies, configuartion files, everything somehow related to a package. It removes a whole lot of staff. The system remains clean after the removal.

b. The worst uninstall is done with the commnd:

sudo pacman -R package-name

It removes a package only but leaves intact its dependencies and configs. The system remains full of uneeded packages, files and broken dependencies after it.

This is not always true. Sometime it is needed to remove a package, and leave intact other packages, depending on it. An example is removal of meta-packages.

There’s no universal advice for all possible cases which may be encountered.

Start removing a package with -Rcnssu, but never confirm un-installation blindly. Never reply with yes. Take your hands off the keyboard. Read with much attention what pacman goes to do. Force yourself to always reply with no in these cases.

If it looks like pacman wants to remove too much staff, use a bit less rigid removal command:

sudo pacman -Rcnsu package-name

Pacman will probably want to remove less staff,
    Neverthelss, don’t reply immediately with yes. Reply with no. Read what pacman says.

Gradually use less and less rigid commands:

sudo pacman -Rcnsu package-name
    sudo pacman -Rcns package-name
    sudo pacman -Rcn package-name
    sudo pacman -Rc package-name

Try various combinations of c, n, s, u switches. They are all explained in the pacman’s -R removal command help:

pacman -Rh

A final advice - never use graphical package managers, like octopi or pamac, for doing this job. Use pacman only in terminal. Read very carefully what it says before allowing it to proceed. In case of minimal doubt reply with no. It’s always safe.

Good luck

antergos22 Posts 43Views 1458
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.