• Setup for a Brother MFC-L8900CDW printer

I had this printer setup before on Antergos (through some steps I can no longer remember or find) and am now trying to set it up again (wireless) on my new Antergos re-install.

I have added it via the CUPS web interface (localhost:631) but the printer either:
    a) takes 5-10 minutes to print something once requested, or
    b) fails to print at all (saying unresponsive or not found)

Maybe there’s something with avahi I need to do…something else…

Any help troubleshooting is greatly appreciated!

• @trey Did you try the lpr cups driver in the AUR?

• @trey Are you using a router with your Wifi? It may be easier to set up a specific ip address on the router for the printer and use that ip address in the cups configuration.

• @ricklinux I am using a router. The printer is using DHCP currently, but can try setting it up with a static IP.

For some reason I keep getting a nagging feeling that I need to do something ‘avahi-related’

I’ll continue to research.

• After adding the avahi entries per the instructions here[1], deleting the printer from the CUPS web interface, and then adding via the Print Settings application, the printer appears to be responding as I would expect.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Avahi

• @trey Can you explain exactly what all you did per the instructions?

• @ricklinux Sure! I installed the nss-mdns package and edited /etc/nsswitch.conf per this section on the referenced wiki page:

Hostname resolution
    Avahi provides local hostname resolution using a “hostname.local” naming scheme. To enable it, install the nss-mdns package and start avahi-daemon.service.

Then, edit the file /etc/nsswitch.conf and change the hosts line to include mdns_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] before resolve and dns:

hosts: … mdns_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] resolve [!UNAVAIL=return] dns …

• @trey I’m glad you figured it out. I find the Arch site just too extreme. I think there is an encyclopedia for everything. So you just add mdns_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] and that’s it? So what is it doing basically telling it that it can’t resolve to a name?

• I suppose that’s what’s happening…I didn’t dig too deep for expediency.

I agree the wiki is both comprehensive and overkill/overwhelming at the same time.

printer55 brother22 mfc-l8900cdw1 Posts 11Views 67
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.