• The new [project Endeavour] forum

Let’s have this dedicated thread about the new forum for the new project Endeavour.

My recommendation would be to

1. set up a forum and
    2. somehow get a frozen state of the current Antergos forum (get a copy of its content and host it for archiving purposes but don’t allow new posts) and redirect new users to the new forum.

For the new forum I suggest picking one of theese 4 platforms:
    https://www.geckoandfly.com/24710/discussion-forum-simple-modern-clean/
    (the third option is what the current forum uses)

• @nate_x I think it will be a decision that @Bryanpwo, @joekamprad, @manuel, @Keegan, @fernandomaroto, @luke_d and @anarch will probably have the most input on. They probably want a system that they have the control over as opposed to a 3rd party. It also is a cost too depending on the platform. I don’t want to the horse to get ahead of the cart here. I only made the suggestion about Flarum due to costs but @joekamprad has pointed out there are issues with it. So i’m going to just wait and see what they come up with.

• @ricklinux hosting your own forum should only cost the price of hosting (high-quality hosting should not be in excess of $20-$30) and having your own hosted board gives you complete control.

Of course they have the final word to say in this. I’m a web-developer and I’ve had a look at the platforms there, that’s where my recommendation comes from.

• @nate_x I thought i saw Discord was like $100 and supposedly Flarum has issues as it’s beta. I have no experience with hosting but this is in their hands. They are setting this up and i’m sure they want the best fit.

• @nate_x @ricklinux
    Thanks for your invaluable input, we already have some candidates in our minds. For me it’s important that the qualitycontrol and customerservice is reliable, also I want the servers in the EU, so I have my eye on one or two German hostingservices. We are looking into Discourse, but finding the right hoster is a B****, since it has some requirements.

• @ricklinux said in The new [project Endeavour] forum:

@nate_x I think it will be a decision that @Bryanpwo, @joekamprad, @manuel, @Keegan, @fernandomaroto, @luke_d and @anarch will probably have the most input on. They probably want a system that they have the control over as opposed to a 3rd party. It also is a cost too depending on the platform. I don’t want to the horse to get ahead of the cart here. I only made the suggestion about Flarum due to costs but @joekamprad has pointed out there are issues with it. So i’m going to just wait and see what they come up with.

While true, you people are the community! Since a forum is mainly for those actually using the OS, it only seems fair that you as the users be front and center here. Of course those on the project’s team will have to have the final say (like you mentioned, prices and good control), but at the same time I think your input is equally important. Hopefully with Endeavor we can fully combine the interests of the devs with the community!

• @Keegan said in The new [project Endeavour] forum:

While true, you people are the community! Since a forum is mainly for those actually using the OS, it only seems fair that you as the users be front and center here. Of course those on the project’s team will have to have the final say (like you mentioned, prices and good control), but at the same time I think your input is equally important. Hopefully with Endeavor we can fully combine the interests of the devs with the community!

WORD!

sure and it is very helpful to get as much input the community can give us, as we are in a hurry ( a bit) caused by a kind of sudden end of the platform here…
    But there is also a need of keeping an eye on minimalism and most less work and maintenance on our new infrastructure and of cause an eye on security for all of us.

So the decision will be a compromise between the needs of all aspects ;)

• @Bryanpwo if the hosting services fail short on some of the features offered or if you need to have a wider list of choices, I had very good experience with Stablehost and Siteground.
    Both offer EU servers.

Stablehost always has coupons on offer. Right now they are celebrating their new datacenter in Germany and offer 70% discount for life (applies t reccuring bills) for servers in Germany. (use germany as coupon code at checkout).
    I am using Stablehost for more than 6 years now and am impressed with their speed and reliability (I’m not easily impressed and have tried a lot of webhosting companies before settling for them). I am using their Netherlands server. Also I am making extensive use of a lot of their features, using git and ssh to manage my sites. They also support Rails and Python (here’s a list of all available features in the Pro version)
    Siteground offers the same advanced features but is a bit more pricey.
    Both offer very good customer support.

Negotiating for an open-source free (but high tier) account might be an option with a lot of the big players.

• @nate_x
    Again thank you so much for sharing this information with us.

• @Bryanpwo for Discourse check https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing/ They are known from hosting Rails/Django apps but I’m not sure how much traffic there could be on the forum and how this will work. Do you have any stats from current one?

Today I’ll hopefully start with Discourse locally and I’ll try to create similar sections as in this one to see how it will look/work.

• +1 for Discourse. That’s the platform for a Linux audio forum I’m part of and I really like it. Of course I’m speaking from a strictly end-user perspective though; I’ve no experience or knowledge of the back end of this (hosting, coding, etc. etc.). Nice and clean in my opinion 👍

• I don’t know if I missed anything here. But it would certainly be good if the new forum had a voting function where questions like the current one about the new name for Antergos could be decided.

endeavour12 forum6 Posts 12Views 484
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.