• Endeavour, Antergos community's next stage........

@nate_x

One I like from the ones someone here proposed:
    Aura

I am glad that you like my proposal

• @andreasdimo79
    sorry, I’ll edit my reply to add your name :)

• I agree to use a galician word, and knowing galician myself i think i know the best word for this.
    Antergos means ancestors. And Liñaxe means Lineage, a word that starts with Liñ, pretty similar to Linux and related to ancestors. Having a “ñ” will be great if you ask me, and if you want to know how to say the word click on the speaker icon here: https://academia.gal/dicionario/-/termo/liñaxe
    Liñaxe OS
    (Thinking about it, most people will have problems writing the ñ, the alt code is 164 and 165 for capital letter, but that would be problematic)

• @KibaGasteiz
    Nice, but as you said, it will be problematic to many people.

And Lineage is already taken by the LineageOS (for smartphones).

• @manuel I’ll post some galician words that may be good as name.

Herdanza means heritage: https://academia.gal/dicionario/-/termo/busca/herdanza
    Legado means legacy (in spanish too): https://academia.gal/dicionario/-/termo/legado/2
    Antecos (could be used as AntecOS) means antípode (as in people living in antipodes): https://academia.gal/dicionario/-/termo/antecos

Arcanxo means archangel and reminds of Arch https://academia.gal/dicionario/-/termo/arcanxo

Also, Arbasoak means Antergos in basque (and starts with Ar like Arch), another language from the north of Spain. Every basque word has the accent at the last syllable like Arbasoák.

• @nate_x Names are not always pronounced the way they are spelled. I was looking at it as sounding like An-ter-gos. So it would be X-ter-dose or X-terra-dose. It was just interesting to me that the words relate to the rising curve of an Arch. I don’t need to be lectured on how i should think about something. Everyone has their own interpretation … I’m not trying to offend anyone and I’m not going to go back and forth on this. I made a suggestion and maybe the spelling could be different but it’s just a word. I wish it could just stay Antergos! What ever the name is doesn’t matter to me. What matters is how it works.

• This post is deleted!
  • @specialworld83 It’s not like they deleted it for the link, in my opinion.

We are continuing antergos journey but with a different name, so coming here and trying to take over some of us, users of antergos seems just… Not nice. Don’t you think?

• @luke_d I have only posted for those who want, that there is a way to continue the user experience without losing anything.

For this reason, the fork you are preparing is a pleasure not to miss one of the distros that was born to give arch with graphic installer.

• @manuel said in Endeavour, Antergos community's next stage........:

@nadir
    The Antergos devs don’t want to give up the name.

I find this a bit sad also. The original devs developed and maintained a well-loved open source project and one would think that they would want to see their creation live on. It’s too bad that they wish to bury their creation.

So, Antergos is dead. Because of the magic of open source, a new project may rise from its ashes, but it won’t be Antergos.

• @specialworld83 said in Endeavour, Antergos community's next stage........:

I didn’t post the link since the moderators have already removed my posts.

I deleted the posts because there were 2 or 3 of them with the same content. Create one if you want, just don’t spam other posts. The forum is pretty messy already.

• @fernandomaroto I entered it here for those who would like to do it.

Thank you very much for the explanations, and sorry if I did cross-posting unintentionally.

• Also its spamming people can find stuf like that but spamming to another os, is just trolling in a way…

• @ricklinux said in Endeavour, Antergos community's next stage........:

@nate_x Names are not always pronounced the way they are spelled. I was looking at it as sounding like An-ter-gos. So it would be X-ter-dose or X-terra-dose. It was just interesting to me that the words relate to the rising curve of an Arch. I don’t need to be lectured on how i should think about something. Everyone has their own interpretation … I’m not trying to offend anyone and I’m not going to go back and forth on this. I made a suggestion and maybe the spelling could be different but it’s just a word. I wish it could just stay Antergos! What ever the name is doesn’t matter to me. What matters is how it works.

Sorry if that sounded patronizing. I understand your explanations, I even like that name, but I think a name that doesn’t require explanations/disclaimers is even better.

• @nate_x It’s no problem i never really thought about the spelling of it. I was thinking An-ter-gos so x-ter-dos was kind of my thinking of how to pronounce xtrados. Intrados and Extrados relate to the curve of the Arch so it was just interesting to me thinking of Antergos rising and being renamed and it’s Arch based. I understand maybe what luke_d was getting at but i think with a proper logo no one would even think of it that way. Especially if it’s explained and given a proper way to pronounce it. Just like Antergos is pronounced. It’s not like it’s spelled. Anyway Thanks. It’s not a big deal… It was just a thought.

• Your plans really sound great, I am quite excited about your project. I really like the ideas and since it’s from the Antergos Community itself is great.

Since I am a latin junkie kind of, I love the language, I also have a suggestion I thought of the whole day xD

AnteamOS

Anteam itself comes from latin and has a number of meanings like:
    I prevent
    I go ahead
    I forestall
    I outmatch

That word makes me think of this Project and the Ant from Antergos.

• I like this a great deal - I’ve only been an Antergos user for a few months after using Debian for a number of years. I second the community’s desire to keep this new distro as close to Arch as possible. That’s one small part of what drew me here to begin with, but then seeing the inclusiveness of the community made me really fall in love with it!

That all being said, I’d like to help in whatever way I can - I’m not a dev by any means, but I wouldn’t mind lending a hand with the proposed new community home’s newsfeed articles. That sounds fun 😃

I also have a name suggestion - how about Ohana Linux? May be a bit cheesy, but Ohana comes from the Hawaiian 'ohana which describes the concept of family. I see the Antergos community as a welcoming family that is happy to let newbies such as myself come on board 😉 😉

• @nickture Sounds good, but I vote against having to wear those loud Hawaiian shirts! 😁

• What are the rules for naming? The new name may include the word Antergos, or any part of it, or not?

• @zoli62 You mean like Xtergos?

endeavour12 stage1 communitys1 Posts 141Views 15620
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.