• How long will the installer last?

Since Antergos is discontinued, what happens if it’s say… 2 years into the future and I want to trash my existing Antergos install and reinstall it. I’ll have the install ISO but will the install fail for whatever reason? I’m guessing the install might work just fine, so long as the installer can see whatever new hardware I’m installing on. Since the installer will continue getting older and older, it might not be able to run on newer hardware?!

• That’s not the real problem with an old installer. The main issue is that the packages in the iso containing the installer will get outdated.
    In a few months that would mean really outdated for an Arch-based rolling distro. It’s when you attempt to update such an outdated release that problems start to appear. Same problems one would get when not updating Arch/Antergos for a long time.

• The installer probably will not work anymore when Antergos shuts down its sites.

• @nate_x said in How long will the installer last?:

That’s not the real problem with an old installer. The main issue is that the packages in the iso containing the installer will get outdated.
    In a few months that would mean really outdated for an Arch-based rolling distro. It’s when you attempt to update such an outdated release that problems start to appear. Same problems one would get when not updating Arch/Antergos for a long time.

Good point, didn’t think of that.

Antergos devs… any chance you would maintain just an Arch installer? I like Arch but the installation is a drawn out, pain in the butt. For me personally, I’d be totally fine with paying a monthly/yearly/per use/per download fee if I could get access to an Arch installer that is always updated and works perfectly. I looked into that Zen installer and while it appears to work for most people, I’ve read some negative reviews on it. I then played around with ArchFi and had bizarre issues with partitioning the drives on my test system.

• @manuel said in How long will the installer last?:

The installer probably will not work anymore when Antergos shuts down its sites.

I’ll miss Antergos. :( In my reply to nate_x, I wonder if the Antergos folks will maintain some sort of Arch installer? That would be great!

• @RoadHazard let’s wait a bit and see. Let the storm settle a bit. I’d give it at least two months to see where things are going, as there are ongoing discussions regarding the path to go forward.
    It’s also a good idea to get involved if you think can help.

• If someone wants to do an installation of Antergos now, so it haves Arch, is a good idea?

• @andreasdimo79
    Don’t recommend it now, Cnchi in its current state isn’t stable at the moment.

• @Bryanpwo I know the plan is to shutdown Antergos development and i was wondering are they going to take the ISO offline at some point?

• @ricklinux
    Yes, everything is going down, the installer at the moment is already showing some fits, as we notice, so if you want to try it there’s a large chance it won’t install.

• @Bryanpwo So i just re-installed Antergos Cinnamon using 19.4 ISO. Flawless! Best Linux distro going! I’m sure it’s not going to last but it proves a point. If the software’s there, the mirrors are working, you have a good internet connection and speed. There is nothing better! The cinchi installer is awesome!

• My opinion:
    cnchi repository is archived at gihub; so it’ll keep the way it is, nor worse or better.
    As long as cnchi is instructed to use an “external” packages.xml list it’s possible to manage it in case a package simply cease to exist or get renamed.
    so my conclusion cnchi can be used after Antergos close down (adding all depencies of cnchi to another repository). Only time can prove me wrong or right.

• @fernandomaroto I guess my opinion is that it’s not the installer that’s the issue but rather external sources whether it be packages, mirrors sites, internet connections hardware or user errors that are most times the problem. I happen to like the installer and the way it works for me is awesome. If packages are not maintained or out of date and or the keys are the problem it’s not the fault of the installer. It doesn’t make the distro bad like some users want to make out. Most of the community are here for a reason because Antergos just works and as far as i’m concerned it has lived up to it’s name. “Antergos is for Everyone” “Always Fresh” “Never Frozen”!

• @ricklinux
    Most of the time it is, we’re not planning to throw Cnchi overboard.

installer65 Posts 14Views 755
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.