• LTS Kernel

I am new to Arch based systems and was just wondering, if I want to switch to the LTS Linux kernel as the default kernel how do I do that?

I found the following command in some article
    sudo pacman -S linux-lts
    sudo pacman install linux-lts-headers

Is this all it takes?

The standard kernel on Antergos works really well but I have really old hardware that runs well on the LTS kernel and don’t need the frequent updates from the standard Antergos or Arch version.

• @debiandonder
    I’m using grub-customizer for this. assuming you are using grub, it allows you to choose a kernel to boot as default. Was using LTS myself for the same reasons as you just named (running it on 7yr old laptop), however I still ran into issues (short freezes). I moved to zen kernel (package linux-zen), which is specially tweaked for performance and it seems to work even better than LTS and no more freezes, which were common both to latest kernel and LTS.

You can find grub-customizer in the community repos, so it’s available for install through pacman

Here’s a link to the package in case you are curious https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/grub-customizer/

If you want to know which kernel you are currently running uname -a will tell you that.

• @debiandonder If you installed the lts kernel when you installed Antergos it will be in grub under advanced. You just go into advanced and select lts kernel and it boots into it otherwise it boots to the latest kernel installed. If you did not install the lts kernel when you first installed Antergos then yes you can install it via pacman. So both kernels would be installed. You just choose which one you want to boot to. Also as Antergos is a rolling release it updates the kernels that are installed so the lts also gets updated as well as the latest kernel.

• Thanks Nate, I will have a look into that. For the time being I am using the latest stable kernel. I keep forgetting the commands and just use trouble shooting information in Firefox to see the kernel and other information, I have Linux 5.1.3 now and it’s works great so far on my over five year old PC.

I am use to Ubuntu and Debian and don’t now much pacman commands yet, however the add/remove software in Antergos is so easy to use it makes me lazy to use the command line again.

Thanks a lot, I easily found the grub-custimizer. I will try it if I ran into trouble with the stable kernel.

• @ricklinux Yes I did choose the LTS Kernel when I installed Antergos, but presumed that the LTS kernel will be my default kernel, while the latest stable kernel is used instead.

I did find the LTS kernel in the advanced options menu and tried it out. It works great too.

I installed Antergos this weekend and it updated the kernel yesterday to Linux 5.1.3 without anything breaking or misbehaving.

I just wondered how I can change to the LTS kernel to be the default kernel if the newer stable version starts acting up.

I have used Debian based and Ubuntu based distros this year and had the thing freeze solid. It’s just been days but Antergos works much better on my PC bought in 2013. Budget APU and graphics card. Much better performance on Antergos.

• @debiandonder Most people who use rolling release versions want the latest kernel not an lts kernel but Antergos gives you the option to have both. If you have problem booting into the current kernel then you would have the lts as a fail safe. If you are looking to run the lts permanently i suppose you could use grub customizer. I just don’t know why you would want to? I have always been a believer in running the most current software available as long as your hardware supports it. This is the reason i use a rolling release. I have not had any problems with new kernel releases. I am running 13 year old hardware on one machine.

• @ricklinux Yes, I am running the latest stable kernel on a 5 year old PC and it works very well. It’s just that the frequent updates of the stable kernel uses up more data than the LST kernel. I had three updates to the stable kernel this week. I think I will see what to do when the change is made with the Antergos update they mentioned in the announcement on the project ending. I used LTS kernels in Debian 9 and Lubuntu 18.04 this year and it’s not been as good as this Linux 5.1.4 stable kernel I am using now.

• @debiandonder This is what you are going to get with a rolling release version. Updates will be frequent and constant. Debian although very stable is extremely slow to update anything. Kernel updates are released every two weeks from Linux and eventually the version moves up to the next level. Intels new clear Linux is even going a step further making the updates smaller by only replacing files that have changed rather than installing a whole new package to replace it. I am only supporting the true open source versions of Linux and not those who are in it to use it to make $$ I have found Antergos to tick all the boxes. It just works.

• I used Q40S based on Debian 9 this year and it froze horribly all the time. I then tried to install Debian 9 using the net installer and ended up with no desktop environment.

I find Antergos to be more stable and user friendly using the latest stable Linux kernel.

Hope the transition to Arch only updates goes smoothly.

• @debiandonder Yes…it would be nice to just continue on with updates from Arch for now. Then hopefully, eventually a new distro version will be up and running to take over from here. I don’t have a problem re-installing if that’s what it takes. I wish i could be of more help but I’m not a developer, programmer. I have very fast Internet on Fibre Optic. The only thing i could do would be testing the install and running it on the new distro.

• @debiandonder

Hi!
    Just to give you some peace :)

you can install both kernels without problems, don’t need to uninstall any of then.

so just in case do:
    sudo pacman -S linux linux-headers linux-lts linux-lts-headers --needed

This will install both kernels. To select one to boot you choose at grub menu, in case you don’t see one of the options look for “Advanced Options” at grub menu.

Also, don’t be worried about the end of Antergos. Both kernels belong to archlinux repository, so this won’t break your system at all.

• @fernandomaroto Thank you very much for the information and reassurence Fernando. I just tried the Manjaro Gnome version in live enviroment and like my Antergos Budgie that more minimalist much better.

I was just wondering if I can only use the LTS version alone?

Both kernels work well but I don’t want to update both all the time.

I have been using Antergos for a week now, after have lots of freezes in Debian based dsitros this year, not going back to that.

• @debiandonder said in LTS Kernel:

Thank you very much for the information and reassurence

You’re welcome :)

I was just wondering if I can only use the LTS version alone?

Yes, that’s not a problem

Both kernels work well but I don’t want to update both all the time.

You just need to update your system with sudo pacman -Syu don’t need to specifically think about the kernel.
    But just in case you want one of the kernels you can remove one of them.

If both are updated at the same time i doubt that would use more than 200MB downloading them.

I don’t think it’s really necessary to remove one, but then it’s your choice.

• @debiandonder In answer to one of your previous posts. Those commands just install the lts kernel and headers. Did you choose to install the lts kernel when you installed Antergos in the set up? If so it’s already installed and you will find it in the grub menu under advanced options.

• @fernandomaroto said in LTS Kernel:

If both are updated at the same time i doubt that would use more than 200MB downloading them.

You are right again, Fernando. I tried Manjaro Gnome Live environment and a pop showed that there were 400 updates of about one gigabyte.

So, I will save data with Antergos after all.

After using Budgie desktop for a week and then trying Gnome, Gnome looks like a toy store! Not for me!

I’ll just leave well alone.

• @ricklinux Yes I did choose the LTS kernel during the installation and though that the LTS kernel will be the default kernel.

I did test the LTS kernel choosing it in the advanced options like you explained and it works well too.

I just thought that I can delete the Standard kernel and use the LTS kernel only, but I might break the grub menu.

• @debiandonder No i don’t think it’s going to break grub …as @fernandomaroto said i think you can uninstall the current kernel but personally i wouldn’t. Both kernels will be updated as they come out and are pushed down from Arch.

• @ricklinux

I agree, there is no need to uninstall the kernel.

• @ricklinux Yes, Rick you are right. I will just leave it as is.

I was checking out Manjaro Gnome in the live environment and later it gave a notice that there were 400 updates weighing one GIG. That’s too much for me.

I installed Antergos in the first place because of the Minimal install option where I chose just what I wanted.

Thanks for the feedback all!

Manjaro is too bloated for me.

• Leaving both kernels in place is a great way to ensure you have a fallback kernel should an update cause issues with your active one. I find it useful, also I find useful to have at least one or two extra DEs installed just in case the default one breaks (as it happened to me right before a tight deadline).

More than once has the backup kernel gotten me out of trouble as did the backup DE. For the 200-300MB extra disk space I think it’s worth it.

kernel151 lts19 Posts 25Views 334
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.