• Interest in keeping Antergos legacy alive?

@luke_d
    Planning to turn Antergos into a commercial “brand” with a “corporate identity”?
    Remember, this is Linux, not some closed source payware.
    The last linux people i heard talking about “brand identity” were the Gnome devs when they discussed to remove theming because it would “taint” their brand identity.
    J.

• @Jeannie____ Quick answer. No.

This topic is to vast to explain in here quickly but I think those terms are just to general to make opinion based on that. Many non profits are creating strong and good brands just to be taken seriously. In Linux world you have elementaryOS which is doing pretty great using similar philosophy, but not as complete as I’m proposing: https://elementary.io/brand

I don’t want to pick up Gnome case. They are… “Specific”.

In summary I’m proposing to make something consistent, something “professional” and just something which make you feel good without even noticing it 😉

• Oooo… oddly enough I am finding this thread quite interesting 😆. So as for Reborn, our website is a bit bare because we have (in the last few days) finally recovered from a serverside attack. Our previous website was not self-hosted, and the hosting service in response took our website down. Just 2 days ago we got a self-hosted one up, and are still adding pages and info to it to make it better. I agree though - right now the website is pretty bare and not really impressive at all.

As for Reborn’s vision, I just wanted to more complete Antergos. We install nothing more than Antergos does by default (in fact, due to some recent changes in our packages, a little less), but have more options for users in the installer. So if the user wanted a lot of games, it would be available right away. If users wanted to install Anbox and have it pre-setup for them, they can with one single click of a button. If users want Mycroft, they can click a button. If users want Flatpak baked in, they can. I think you get where I am going with this though. My intent was never to add unnecessary things by default for users, but rather to slim things down while at the same time offering them more.

I would gladly have joined Antergos, and in fact asked the devs at one time. However, like @karasu has mentioned earlier, they are a bit cautious about adding new members to the team due to how amazing their team already was. I completely get that, but without being part of their team, I was told that Cnchi is what makes Antergos Antergos and so I could not change it at all. If you think about that, it makes perfect sense. The installer is truly what shapes any distro, because it determines what their installed OS will be like. Obviously I have added options and features to my version of Cnchi, which by the philosophy above meant I could no longer be considered part of Antergos, or an Antergos Community Edition (which I had been earlier). So to respect the devs, I relabeled my project “Reborn OS” - my community edition had been reborn into something more than Antergos due to my additions to things. I have however repeatedly offered my services, help, and support to them from time to time in private chats, so likie @Bryanpwo said above, there is and never has been any animosity between us - but rather continued friendship. And really, isn’t that how it should be? Why should any one distro feel “competitive”. We are all working towards a similar goal in the end, bringing the power of Linux to a niche of interested people around the world.

If there is any renewed interest in a merge, I would gladly think about it. I am far enough along by now that I am fairly happy with where things are going for Reborn, but at the same time I think the goals of Antergos and Reborn are very similar, if not nearly identical. So if a merge was proposed, I would gladly consider it.

Finally, about the users. Not every idea by a person is inherently great, but that’s why we at Reborn hold frequent polls - especially on Discord. It has been proven (oh look at that! I am finally able to use my random knowledge from articles I enjoy for once!) that the opinions of a majority often offset the detrimental ideas from an individual and prove more reliable. So that is what Reborn does. There are some things that from the point of view of me (and the dev team), we just cannot do as we know some of the intricacies of the OS that others might not be aware of. But 95% of the time the ideas proposed by the community are amazing and end up in Reborn, even if it takes 6 months to implement it due to time constraints and other things in my life. For instance, our users have been asking we drop the official Antergos repo for about 6 months now due to it being outdated oftentimes, and just host the majority of the packages from the Antergos repo that people frequently use ourselves (I have developed a script to autoupdate everything in our repo once a week or so). I have not had the necessary time to properly implement that until 2 weeks ago, and was just wrapping it up when I heard the terrible news about Antergos here. We are still finishing that process up, and as such our installer is throwing fits for users right now as Antergos is slowly shutting down (so if you wish to try Reborn out, please wait a day or two. We are running into a few problems right now with Cnchi now that Antergos is dicontinued).

The more the merrier though! I would gladly consider a merge and have already been helping the moderators here with a possible continuation of Antergos. Antergos has done so much for me, and now I feel it is long overdue to give back. Only the days ahead will reveal how things end up! Either way, a lot is happening.

• @Keegan Well, thanks for all of the clarifications, always better to get first hand info. So depending on how all of this goes down, I may just end up with Reborn, although I still don’t like the name or logo 😉 How about Tux wearing an Antergos logo hat, holding a baby penguin?

Since I am not a programmer I always wondered what all goes into a distro besides some theming and the custom installer, like what all is on the Antergos repo that is not on, or different than at the Arch repo? Since it’s open source I guess it could be variations of anything, and looking at Ubuntu vs other Dabian based distro’s it can be quite a bit.

So you are on Discord? I keep getting teased with reasons to check it out, but I am very skeptical of Social media sites for privacy and security reasons, and all of the crap FaceBook and Google have got away with, It’s why I ditched Microsoft completely and switched to Linux for good, now I can add Intel to the list of “Not to be trusted” with all of the hardware back doors… I will check out Discord’s policies, and your site a little closer in the near future.

So since you have more dealings with the X Antergos developers, is there a way you can look into some of what people are asking here, or are they just abandoning ship and taking all of the life boats and preservers with them, leaving the passengers behind to sink with the ship?

If so, then keep us posted, and if you can and for your own sake, please do what you can to make any switching to your distro, and forum… for as many of us as you can easy. I trust your history with Antergos over whoever decided to just start “AntOS” without any diplomacy…, and so far it’s just a GIT page that looks very shaky at best. I run my business on Antergos, and don’t need any nasty surprises. So thanks again, and in advance for all of your efforts Keegan.

P.S. I never got any warning from this forum or the Antergos team, so if votes to Keep Antergos alive are low, then neither did most or all of us, and many are completely unaware of the situation.

• @Zoidmo
    Just take a look in this thread.

• I like your attitude @Keegan.
    The screenshots I’ve seen of the cnchi version packed with Reborn OS look like just the same thing as Antergos’ just has more ticks to tick. Can’t really see how that’s a different philosophy. Aye, it takes more maintenance, so I can see how Antergos devs might not have been happy with the idea.

I must also confess I’m also not a huge fan of the name and logo of Reborn OS (although the name is not really that bad).

I’m also not happy with the many platforms the documentation is spread to. there’s weebly, wordpress.com (to be phased-out I understand), and the forum on yet another platform (freeforums.com). plus the self-hosted website on rebornos.org.

I think this will impact the number of adopters because coolness is a factor in choosing a distro :)

• Hello Everyone. I wanted to write in the forum but i lost my username I think and I have been working the whole day…

I’m joining with other spanish developers and AntergOS fans to create a fork: SenzOS (t.me/senzos | https://gitlab.com/senzo-team/senzos-project) (yes, I know another, linux forks are evil, whatever…)

As I can see (from my point of view), there are some forks/projects trying to mantain the AntergOS spirit:

• RebornOS: Has releases from long time ago, there is people active working on it.
    • AnthOS: Community fork with an foundation helping it.
    • Endeavour (Codename): Community fork driven by the awesome people of this forum.
    • SenzOS: Community fork, with focus in developer community management.

Maybe there are more (I just saw these in the forum) In my opinion, 4 new teams trying to bring back AntergOS phylosophy is awesome! BUT… This is the main fact of all projects: Governance.

SO… WHAT?

Our goals and our way of achieve it will be totally different. And that’s a problem for joining forces right now. Maybe in the future, some projects will merge, but it depends about work and, of course, community response about each project.

Just enjoy the travel. AntergOS is living right now because all new projects are creating a user-friendly Arch Linux distro.

PS: Sorry my english mistakes… too tired today.

• @cristomc-2
    You too good luck on your journey, I hope we will cross paths in the future.

• @luke_d said in Interest in keeping Antergos legacy alive?:

This topic is to vast to explain in here quickly but I think those terms are just to general to make opinion based on that. Many non profits are creating strong and good brands just to be taken seriously. In Linux world you have elementaryOS which is doing pretty great using similar philosophy, but not as complete as I’m proposing: https://elementary.io/brand
    I don’t want to pick up Gnome case. They are… “Specific”.
    In summary I’m proposing to make something consistent, something “professional” and just something which make you feel good without even noticing it

Because of your efforts so far (great work, btw), it would be best if the new name would also start with letter A :)
    So far Aura is the name that I like best out of the ones suggested by the community.

• @nate_x No, it’s not necessary. The A in my proposition has strong connection to antergos as a word, antergos as a person and cultivated traditions in Galicia and most importantly to the hat of peliqueiros. So for another A-name it wouldn’t have too much sense. If it will be something it will be different, based on name itself and story around it.

• @cristomc-2 Governance??? I have Donald Trump as president, that’s more than enough governance one can possibly handle!!! Fork it, anyone want to start a new OS: AnarchyOS???

• @luke_d Well then how about DictatorOS, FascistOS, or even Commy Bastard OS???

• @Zoidmo We have most of them:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Star_OS,
    https://www.geek.com/chips/russia-developing-alternative-os-to-windows-1291918/
    These are jokes based on current or historical events. Please don’t be offended (anybody).

• Some of the Screenshots of Reborn OS sadly are reminding me a little of Manjaro… Especially tge tool to choose the Kernels. Which is what I don’t like, since I found this Distro everything else but stable.
    On Manjaro every single Update crashed the Nvidia Drivers and the Bumblebee Setup. Which never happened on Antergos!

But from @Keegan explanation I think I can see some sense in the Reborn OS Project. More options in the installer are pretty good I think. But right now I am still wondering what to do.

I guess the merge of some of the projects would be a good idea, but please don’t rush it.
    I like both Ideas from @Bryanpwo and @Keegan , but I certainly will wait for a little bit before deciding.

Would it theoretically be possible to upgrade from Antergos to Reborn OS in the future theoretically? Since I think it would be just a few packages and configs needed changing?

• @Severus
    There’s still an upcoming update from Antergos coming, so don’t panic the installed system won’t breakdown in the near future.

• @Zoidmo said in Interest in keeping Antergos legacy alive?:

How about Tux wearing an Antergos logo hat, holding a baby penguin?

So now I suppose is the time for me to be terribly honest (any Reborn OS users, please do not get offended!). I actually am not crazy about our logo either, but when we first started it seemed to me that something as big as the logo should be completely decided by the community itself. We were at the time too small to have attracted any actual graphic designers, and so about 50 of us ran around in Gimp struggling to put something together. At the end of a week, all 50 or so of us who were around on the forum voted, and considering most of our creations (including mine) were absolutely terrible, we were left with about 3 decent ones; and ultimately it was decided that our current logo was the most decent out of them. I have made various announcements every few months that if the community wanted to tweak it some, we could. But so far most people have been content, so here it is in its hexagonal greeness still.

Since I am not a programmer I always wondered what all goes into a distro besides some theming and the custom installer, like what all is on the Antergos repo that is not on, or different than at the Arch repo? Since it’s open source I guess it could be variations of anything, and looking at Ubuntu vs other Dabian based distro’s it can be quite a bit.

A lot of it for me is mostly continued support for what we do offer, retaining a presence on our forums and other methods of contact, and mostly the installer. Oh my goodness it is surprising how much effort Cnchi has taken to keep stable on our part! We have mostly held the thing together, and in the process have discovered it is like an intricate deck of cards. Amazing when stacked, but it does not take too much meddling to cause it all to collapse either.

So you are on Discord? I keep getting teased with reasons to check it out, but I am very skeptical of Social media sites for privacy and security reasons, and all of the crap FaceBook and Google have got away with, It’s why I ditched Microsoft completely and switched to Linux for good, now I can add Intel to the list of “Not to be trusted” with all of the hardware back doors… I will check out Discord’s policies, and your site a little closer in the near future.

I switched (and stayed with) Linux for those exact reasons as well! Discord is actually the only social media I have, as I like yourself do not trust anything else. Discord’s devs though are amazing, and even have not only a complete page about OpenSource on their website (despite being closed source), as well as special Linux settings in their app! From my experience, they are the one team I trust when it comes to social media. In fact, they act very much like an OpenSource group in so much as with every release they implement users’ requested features. Which is probably part of why so many people love it so much. The devs are genuinely friendly people, they take their users seriously and respect them, and on top of it all are completely user-oriented. So far, I have found nothing to make me dislike them. But of course I do not know everything, so perhaps there is some unfortunate dark thing I have yet to find out about. (other than their amazing dark them of course).

So since you have more dealings with the X Antergos developers, is there a way you can look into some of what people are asking here, or are they just abandoning ship and taking all of the life boats and preservers with them, leaving the passengers behind to sink with the ship?

I’m afraid I do not entirely know what you mean. I am more than happy to help people out here, and am already working on creating an article on how to convert Antergos installation to Reborn ones (it is literally 5 commands in a terminal).

I run my business on Antergos, and don’t need any nasty surprises

So bad timing I know, but I would suggest not installing Reborn right now as Antergos’ sudden discontinuance (is that a word?) has left us crippled. Ever since their announcement, things we have been using from them have slowly burst into flames, exploded, and left shards of fond memories of a working program as their remnants. In other words, Cnchi is already throwing fits and I cannot seem to pacify the thing 😆. I hope to have it sorted out soon, but at the worst I will be reverting Reborn to a testing stage to allow me to focus on getting it all ready for 3 months time when Antergos truly disappears. However, if you have Antergos (or Reborn for that matter) already installed, since our problems are only with Cnchi, that should not effect you at all! The conversion process from Antergos to Reborn is a simple 5 commands or so, and Reborn itself is not effected in the least - only our modified version of Cnchi.

I’m also not happy with the many platforms the documentation is spread to. there’s weebly, wordpress.com (to be phased-out I understand), and the forum on yet another platform (freeforums.com). plus the self-hosted website on rebornos.org.

I know what you mean. Long history there… someone spammed our website with Weebly, so that one is down. In response, we just finished creating a self-hosted one at rebornos.org. Our old one from our early days when I just wanted to throw something up there but did not have the time to focus on anything more than Reborn actually working was our wordpress.com one. That was they used again by us when our Weebly website went down until we got our rebornos.org one back up. So right now we are recovering from all that. However, we are centralizing everything on our rebornos.org website as it is selfhosted and more reliable 🙂.

Would it theoretically be possible to upgrade from Antergos to Reborn OS in the future theoretically? Since I think it would be just a few packages and configs needed changing?

For sure! Even now it is only 5 or so commands. I will be creating an article on that on our website within the next few days. However, I would encourage you to stick with Antergos for a little bit longer as I think @Bryanpwo and others here have some exciting things going on right now! After all, you have 3 entire months before anything really changes or happens. So why not spend a few weeks enjoying the ride and see what transpires before making any major decision? (however, I of course am biased towards Reborn and would love to have you join us. Just saying…)

• I just updated my file system again under Antergos. Answer after the download: “Your system is up to date.” That’s fantastic! I like this “rolling release”.

Antergos is very good! Almost everyone agrees on that. So why do we talk about which other system we can replace Antergos with? Why don’t we talk about how we can obtain Antergos? As a newcomer, I do not understand that at all.

“Our goal was to make Arch Linux available to a wider audience of users by providing a streamlined, user friendly experience including a safe place for users to communicate, learn, and help one another.” This is what the developers say in their statement. They have achieved their goal! An excellent distribution has been created.

What I ask myself: Why aren’t the developers working on putting their legacy in good hands and continuing it? If the developers did that, they would certainly have a lot of support here in the community. There would probably be enough young people, students or something who would be willing to continue the legacy of Antergos.

• That is a very good question. Alas, only the devs can answer it. I asked this question indirectly in another post just as you are asking it indirectly just now. This question has to be asked straightforward.

Dear Antergos devs ( @developers ), why are you closing the project instead of handing it over to someone willing to continue your work, someone sharing your philosophy? By the looks of it there are willing developers in this very thread and this thread here. It can’t be in your interest to have that many years of your work scrapped. I know there is value in it, but throwing it away instead of sharing it makes no sense.

This is not a rhetorical question, I (and apparently others) am actually curious about your reasons for not handing the project to someone willing to continue your work.

legacy6 keeping3 interest2 alive2 Posts 80Views 2144
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.