• no gnome panel on new install?

I’ve decided to move my system from budgie back to gnome. I did a fresh install (with proprietary drivers, and preserving my home partition), setup gdm, and blacklisted nouveau module (it’s incompatible with my gpu). When I rebooted, gdm came up, and after logging in, my startup applications came up, but no wallpaper or gnome panels (the top bar with clock/settings/power/etc…). Thankfully one of my startup applications is a terminal window, but I don’t know where to start to try to resolve this. Thoughts?
    My system: Lenovo Thinkstation p510

• i would bet on config files inside home… or permissions issue

you can provid ejournal directly after log in to gnome:

journalctl --since "5 minutes ago" | curl -F 'f:1=<-' ix.io

this will automatic pastebin it and gives out a link / url to the pastebin with the journal…

• Huh, that’s a neat trick. Here’s the resulting pastebin link:
    http://ix.io/1Jjf

• May 17 10:05:55 Tachyon gnome-shell[968]: Failed to launch ibus-daemon: Failed to execute child process “ibus-daemon” (No such file or directory)
    May 17 10:05:55 Tachyon systemd[853]: Started Sound Service.
    May 17 10:05:55 Tachyon pulseaudio[954]: E: [pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.systemd1.NoSuchUnit: Unit dbus-org.bluez.service not found.
    May 17 10:05:55 Tachyon gnome-keyring-daemon[862]: couldn't allocate secure memory to keep passwords and or keys from being written to the disk
    May 17 10:05:55 Tachyon /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[866]: The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
    May 17 10:05:55 Tachyon /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[866]: > Warning:          Unsupported high keycode 372 for name <I372> ignored
    May 17 10:05:55 Tachyon /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[866]: >                   X11 cannot support keycodes above 255.
    May 17 10:05:55 Tachyon /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[866]: >                   This warning only shows for the first high keycode.
    May 17 10:05:55 Tachyon /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[866]: > Internal error:   Could not resolve keysym XF86MonBrightnessCycle
    May 17 10:05:55 Tachyon /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[866]: Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
    May 17 10:05:55 Tachyon gnome-shell[968]: JS ERROR: TypeError: malformed UTF-8 character sequence at offset 0
                                              [email protected]:///org/gnome/gjs/modules/overrides/GLib.js:207:9
                                              [email protected]:///org/gnome/gjs/modules/overrides/GLib.js:247:12
                                              [email protected]:///org/gnome/gjs/modules/overrides/GLib.js:247:12
                                              _init/this.Variant.p[email protected]:///org/gnome/gjs/modules/overrides/GLib.js:285:9
                                              [email protected]:///org/gnome/shell/ui/notificationDaemon.js:754:27
                                              [email protected]:///org/gnome/shell/ui/notificationDaemon.js:725:9
                                              [email protected]:///org/gnome/shell/ui/notificationDaemon.js:825:39
                                              [email protected]:///org/gnome/shell/ui/main.js:177:26
                                              [email protected]:///org/gnome/shell/ui/main.js:124:5
                                              @<main>:1:31
    May 17 10:05:55 Tachyon gnome-shell[968]: Execution of main.js threw exception: Script <main> threw an exception
    May 17 10:05:56 Tachyon gnome-session[873]: gnome-session-binary[873]: WARNING: App 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' exited with code 1
    May 17 10:05:56 Tachyon gnome-session[873]: gnome-session-binary[873]: WARNING: App 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' respawning too quickly
    May 17 10:05:56 Tachyon gnome-session-binary[873]: WARNING: App 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' exited with code 1
    May 17 10:05:56 Tachyon gnome-session-binary[873]: Unrecoverable failure in required component org.gnome.Shell.desktop
    May 17 10:05:56 Tachyon gnome-session-binary[873]: WARNING: App 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' respawning too quickly
    May 17 10:05:56 Tachyon gnome-session[873]: Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
    May 17 10:05:56 Tachyon gnome-session-f[1040]: Cannot open display: 
    May 17 10:05:56 Tachyon gnome-keyring-daemon[862]: asked to register item /org/freedesktop/secrets/collection/login/2084, but it's already registered
    May 17 10:05:56 Tachyon gsd-xsettings[1067]: Failed to get current display configuration state: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Name "org.gnome.Mutter.DisplayConfig" does not exist

a lot of failings and errors… i would move configs out of the way, restart gnome and put only that ones back you really need like for email or so…

mkdir ~/oldconfigs
    mv ~/.config ~/oldconfigs/ 

then you will have a new folder named oldconfigs with all configs inside, so you can put back what you need after logout login to GNOME again…

• So, I tried that, and the problem persisted. Ultimately, I feel that your suspicion is correct, that there’s something in my home directory that’s causing issues. But this is a system that I need for work, so I will get it back up with budgie as a temporary measure, and then prepare it for a full nuke&pave (backing up documents/vms/etc…) for getting gnome back.
    Thanks for your help!

• there are more configs/settings keys e.t.c. inside home… so you can also create a new user to check, what will give you default settings from Antergos.

• and as a tip it is better to rename old users home directory to something different from new user name on reinstall and keep the home. then you can replace only needed configs to newly created homedirectory of the new user from new install after initial boot.

gnome361 panel37 Posts 7Views 66
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.