• Nvidia 304xx

Hello people,
    So i got my hands on a older laptop: a Toshiba satelite pro p100.
    I installed antergos without problems but the laptop performs poorly imo.
    It lacks 3D support out of the box. It has an Nvidia Geforce Go 7600.
    I would like to install proprietary drivers but it seems that nvidia 304xx is not available through normal way (pacman, AUR).

So i downloaded it directly from Nvidia.
    And that’s where i am stuck: how do i install this . run file?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Oh and by the way: i use antergos happely but also have NO skills in Linux other then copy-paste commandline from tutorials.
    So please keep it simple :-)

• @Diderik
    Nvidia 304 driver seems not to be officially supported anymore.

However, someone has kept an installer script (a PKGBUILD file with some extra files) at
    https://github.com/felixonmars/aur3-mirror/tree/master/nvidia-304xx-dkms
    It is of course outdated and needs to be modified slightly to get it work. The modifications needed in PKGBUILD file are (at least!):

• change pkgver to the latest
    • change sha256sums value accordingly

Download also the other files. After making those changes, program makepkg can be used for trying to build a package that can be installed with normal tools (pacman -U /path/to/package).

But it requires some knowledge about PKGBUILDs, bash language and sha256sum.

Would you like to try? I can try to help with the steps.

More info: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA

• Sorry, I may have spoken too soon!
    I can’t find nvidia-304xx-utils which is also needed.
    I’ll keep looking for it, but currently doesnt look so good. :(

EDIT: it seems to be in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux_Archive#Historical_Archive
    but I don’t know if they have really the version you need.
    So I think it is not worth the effort, sorry.

• is there any info about 304 AUR build? as the nvidia-96xx-dkms and nvidia-173xx-dkms
    are still available…

• @joekamprad
    Didn’t find any in AUR…

• 304xx also needs downgrading xorg as far as i remember…
    O do ask caus of antergos wiki entry, i would like to update when i have info/solutio

• @joekamprad
    Yeah, there may be so many packages that would need to be downgraded that it may be practically impossible to have it working reliably.

• @Diderik
    If Debian stable has support for nvidia 304 driver, would you be willing to try Debian stable?

I’m not sure Debian supports it, but it is just an idea.

• In principal installing a .run file should be easy.
    There is lots of info at the nvidia driver page.

Installing should go something like this:

chmod +x nvidiafile.run
    ./nvidiafile.run

Just use the right file name. May need to use sudo for the second line.

This may or may not work.

• Arch Wiki says:
    Unsupported drivers
    If you have a GeForce 7 series card or older (released in 2006 or earlier), Nvidia no longer supports drivers for your card. This means that these drivers do not support the current Xorg version. It thus might be easier if you use the Nouveau driver, which supports the old cards with the current Xorg.

However, Nvidia’s legacy drivers are still available and might provide better 3D performance/stability if you are willing to downgrade Xorg:

For GeForce 6/7 series cards [NV4x and NV6x], install the nvidia-304xx-dkms==[broken link: archived in aur-mirror] package. Last supported Xorg version is 1.19.

I do use this for a device with legacy nvidia:

https://antergos.com/wiki/desktops/xfce/getting-xfce4-tearfree-with-nouveau-on-nvidia-graphics/

I can see that this in the kernel nouveau driver have a better performance as the nouveau driver from package

nvidia163 304xx1 Posts 10Views 87
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.