• Which All-in-One Printer Should I Buy? Can be Color Laser or Inkjet.

I have been searching quite a bit, both here and on general forums, as well as on Amazon.

I want to buy an all-in-one-type printer/scanner/copier (FAX not necessary but would be okay) WHICH WILL WORK PERFECTLY with Antergos.

The unit would have to be a current model easily purchased from Amazon, Best Buy, or Staples.

It MUST work perfectly and consistently with Antergos, either with direct USB connection or Wi-Fi.

Would people who have such printers please tell me the model(s) they have?

I should appreciate any and all information on this subject.

Thank you.

• @lhb1142 I can only tell you what i have that works. Cheap Canon All in one MG2525 Copy, Scan & Print. Also Brother Laser Black HL-L2320D. Drivers are in the AUR repository.

• Most time is HP fine but not for not al models, just take your time to buy, make a list and is good to do some research like : http://www.openprinting.org/printers

can show a lot atleast :)

• I have a HP envy 5020 colour scanner/printer.
    It connects with wifi, bluetooth or cable and I have found it workes with every distro i have tryed.
    You just might need to download hplip. This is preinstall on some distro and not on others.

• https://haydenjames.io/finding-linux-compatible-printers/
    https://opensource.com/article/18/11/choosing-printer-linux

Most easy is to look for a HP printer and check on http://www.openprinting.org/printers for compatibility, as there are some HP printers with issues, but hplip is a long time solution known to work very well under linux.

• @ricklinux said in Which All-in-One Printer Should I Buy? Can be Color Laser or Inkjet.:

@lhb1142 I can only tell you what i have that works. Cheap Canon All in one MG2525 Copy, Scan & Print. Also Brother Laser Black HL-L2320D. Drivers are in the AUR repository.

I just ordered the Canon MG2525 from Amazon for $44.00 plus sales tax. This one will probably be good enought for us.

There are a whole bunch of new and more capable printers (duplex printing for example) on the market but I am afraid to try any of them. If I have any problems with this Canon one, I’ll write back here and ask for help.

In the mean time, thanks very much for the recommendation.

Lawrence

• @lhb1142 I was able to pick up the MG2525 for $29.99 +tax CDN That is why i got 2 of them and they have drivers in the AUR that work. The only functionality that’s not in the drivers is the normal set up function that is on Windows when you hook up the printer to align the heads. I didn’t worry about that and if i need to i can hook it to my Windows machine and do it. It has print copy scan. You can scan or print to a pdf file. I have had both th Brother and this Canon hooked up to Antergos and Manjaro.

• The printer is scheduled to arrive tomorrow (Saturday, June 1). I’ll let you know how well it works (if it does work with Antergos for us!)

• @lhb1142 The MG2500 all I one driver is in the AUR.

• @ricklinux Well, the printer did NOT arrive Saturday (thank you so much Amazon “Guaranteed” One-day shipping!) but, after I telephoned Amazon, they were able to get it to me yesterday (Sunday).

I removed the printer from its box and installed the cartridges according to the directions.

I then installed the MG2500 Complete driver (which took only about a minute), attached the printer to the computer, and the printer worked perfectly.

So my wife and I are very pleased (so far) and we both want to thank you for this recommendation. We haven’t tried scanning (which we rarely, if ever, do) nor have we yet tried copying. But for printing documents from our computer, this printer is near-perfect and its price was certainly “right.”

Thanks again!

Lawrence

• @lhb1142 Glad to hear it worked out for you. It also has 3 different size cartridges for it in black and color. I think the ones that come with it are 4 oz so they are small. But you can get the larger ones. I think it has them listed on the box so you can peel the end flap off and or write them down.

• @ricklinux said in Which All-in-One Printer Should I Buy? Can be Color Laser or Inkjet.:

@lhb1142 Glad to hear it worked out for you. It also has 3 different size cartridges for it in black and color. I think the ones that come with it are 4 oz so they are small. But you can get the larger ones. I think it has them listed on the box so you can peel the end flap off and or write them down.

The ink cartridges are indeed listed on the box. There are three sizes each of B&W and color: (the equivalent of) small, medium, and large.

We’ll have to see how long the supplied cartridges last. We do not print a great deal and I know that ink dries up if it’s not used. So we’ll have to see.

Looking at various printers, I really would have liked a color laser printer which could do duplex printing (as well as copying). Scanning and fax are not necessary (though scanning would be a “plus”).

But I do not know if any of the ones I have seen on Amazon are Linux-compatible. When you go to the Linux printer site, the ones they list are old and often discontinued models. They don’t seem to keep up with the latest printers (understandable, of course).

But this Canon Pixma MG2525 will do for us, at least for the time being.

(Do you know of particular brands which offer good Linux compatibility? I know that H-P printers are supposed to be compatible but I have read [and experienced with a friend’s computer running Antergos] that they aren’t always so.)

It’s a pity that printers are the one area in which Windows (and Mac) are superior to Linux.

I do thank you again for helping us.

• @lhb1142 it’s not that Mac or Windows are superior in that way. It’s the fault of the manufacturers for not putting out the drivers or an install script to work in Linux. They do more for debian and rpm package based distros. Brother does a great job in that area but none seem to support Arch based Linux the same way. I will keep my eye open for a newer model that works but it’s not going to be that cheap either. My Brother is a laser black only.

@lhb1142 it’s not that Mac or Windows are superior in that way. It’s the fault of the manufacturers for not putting out the drivers or an install script to work in Linux. They do more for debian and rpm package based distros. Brother does a great job in that area but none seem to support Arch based Linux the same way. I will keep my eye open for a newer model that works but it’s not going to be that cheap either. My Brother is a laser black only.

Thanks for the reply. I have always wondered WHY manufacturers have to make individual drivers for individual printers (and other items). WHY can’t they use ONE (brand-specific) driver for all of their printers? (In other words, Canon would have one driver, Brother would have one driver, H-P would have one driver, etc.) Obviously they’d have to make a driver for Windows, Mac, and Linux - but the drivers should be the same across their product line (unless there is some sort of improvement which would cause them to make ONE new driver for all of their future products). Of course different printers have different capabilities but certain ones in the driver could be “shut off” (or “activated”) depending upon the particular printer.

Of course the question arises: WHY do there have to be drivers in the first place. I believe I read somewhere that Canonical was going to implement a program which would ignore drivers and allow all printers to work with Ubuntu regardless of driver. Have you read anything along that line? And, if you have, I wonder if some of the Arch developers could do the same thing?

• @lhb1142 Well there is Cups, (Common Unix Printing System) HP Hplip, Gutenprint, Canon UFR and other drivers but the installation is not easy for the average user. It can be quite complex at times trying to install or figure out why it’s not working. Instructions are not the greatest especially on the Arch side. They don’t explain all the details. they just expect you to know all the details when in fact a lot of people need a step by step detailed explanation. Sometimes the drivers don’t give all the functions either. It has gotten better but i think it’s only because of open source development. Manufacturers and the big players only do things that they can make big $ on. I’m really pleased that we have system76 building Linux specific desktops and laptops and they are opensource hardware development. There are some tools also in Arch that you can use to create your own drivers from Debian or Rpm packaged drivers to work on Arch. But again it isn’t that simple.

• ZaReason also builds Linux-specific computers. I have purchased nine of their computers over the years (eight are still functioning perfectly) and they are compatible with practically all GNU/Linux distributions.

But printers still give problems for whatever reason.

Could you direct me to the programs in Arch which would allow conversion of .deb or .rpm printer driver packages to Arch-usable ones? (I assume that they would be available in the Arch User Repository.)

By the way, I am one of those people who often need step-by-step instructions. But, when I get them, I copy them to a document which I save on my computer. Then I never need to ask again.

Thank you for all of your patience and help.

• @lhb1142 I don’t know if it’s that easy to just convert them and use them. There is some information on the Arch Wiki using Debtap to convert debian files. There is something else for rpm i think. You’ll have to look for some more information on this in relation to printers too. I find the Arch Wiki difficult to understand. They have an encyclopedia for every little thing.

@lhb1142 I don’t know if it’s that easy to just convert them and use them. There is some information on the Arch Wiki using Debtap to convert debian files. There is something else for rpm i think. You’ll have to look for some more information on this in relation to printers too. I find the Arch Wiki difficult to understand. They have an encyclopedia for every little thing.

Thanks for all of your help. I went onto the Arch Wiki and searched for both ‘convert deb to Arch’ and ‘convert rpm to Arch’ and was rewarded with a lot of gobbledygook (at least it was for me).

I suppose that computer professionals would be able to understand what the instructions were talking about, but not me.

I’ll just have to wait and continue to read about new printers which, A) work natively with Arch Linux (for which there is a driver in the AUR), and B) offer more features (such as duplex printing) than does our new Canon Pixma MG2525.

Thank you again.

• @lhb1142 said in Which All-in-One Printer Should I Buy? Can be Color Laser or Inkjet.:

Thanks for all of your help. I went onto the Arch Wiki and searched for both ‘convert deb to Arch’ and ‘convert rpm to Arch’ and was rewarded with a lot of gobbledygook (at least it was for me).

Yes, the Arch Wiki is only helpful if you can understand what the technical jargon is they are talking about. It doesn’t really break it down, step by step with an explanation. Everything is an encyclopedia of information but no detailed explanation. I have a hard time with it also at times and i really have to think about it! Sometimes i just get it…sometimes i don’t. 😞 Other times i just have to figure it out. 😣

• @lhb1142

I am not sure what you need but my printer, bought about 2-3 years ago, has duplex printing and you find drivers in AUR. It is a Brother DCP-J562DW.

printer55 color14 buy2 all-in-one1 Posts 29Views 500
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.