• Antergos desktop won't boot after update today

Hi-
    I came back home after 5 days of travel today. I booted my Antergos desktop and ran ‘pacman -Syyu’ and was met with updates to around 30-40 packages (including linux and linux-lts)

During the update I left the room and when I returned, the Antergos machine being updated was powered off. Weird.

I turned it on with the power button and am met with the Antergos boo selection screen. Choosing any option (Antergos Linux, Advanced options for Antergos Linux) results in the following:

Loading linux kernel ...
    error:  premature end of file /vmlinuzl-linux
    Loading initial ramdisk ...
    error: you need to load the kernel first

Press any key to continue ...

What is the best way to recover the system? The install has been rock solid for many months, otherwise.

Thanks!

• arch-chroot fulfill update and rebuild kernel images:
    https://antergos.com/wiki/miscellaneous/rescue-non-booting-antergos-from-arch-chroot/
    then:

mkinitcpio -P

• Thanks. Per the wiki, I have used the live image to boot into the system and have arch-chroot’ed the /mnt point.

What next? When I cd into the /mnt point and attempt to run ‘pacman -Syyu’ I’m getting error messages like:

error: failed to update angergos (unable to lock database)
    error: failed to update core (unable to lock database)
    error: failed to update extra (unable to lock database)
    error: failed to update community (unable to lock database)
    error: failed to update multilib (unable to lock database)
    error: failed to synchronize all databases

Thanks.

• after arch-chroot (arch-chroot /mnt) you will be inside your installed system… if you are leaving this terminal you will be back inside live-session…
    So no need to cd there… only to make sure you are inside installed system tree.
    remove the lock:

rm /var/lib/pacman/db.lck
    pacman -Syyu

• Thank you. Pacman update is complete. Are the next steps:

• Rebuild kernel images? How do I rebuild the kernel images?
    • Then run ‘mkinitcpio -P’?

When I run ‘mkinitcpio -P’ after ‘pacman -Syyu’ I get errors that the specified kernel image does not exist for /boot/initramfs-linux-lts.img and /boot/vmlinuz-linux and others.

Example:

Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux.preset: 'default' -k /boot/vmlinuz-linux -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux.img
    ==> ERROR: specified kernel image does not exist: `/boot/vmlinuz-linux'

Thanks!

• @trey may you do have a seperate /boot partition not mounted into arch-chroot filesystem?

• Hi @joekamprad -

Yes, that was it. /boot was on sda1.

Thank you very much!

boot320 today8 Posts 7Views 102
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.