• Fresh install of Antergos 19.4 and LTS kernel won't boot

Brand new install of 19.4 Antergos. I picked the LTS option during the install… using an Nvidia 670GTX video card and have the nvidia-lts drivers installed. Cinnamon desktop.

Latest kernel boots perfectly fine but when I attempt to boot the LTS kernel, just a black screen. I can’t bring up a terminal no matter what. If I hit ctrl-alt-del, the system reboots and the latest kernel boots up fine. Looking through the logs, I see this:

Apr 30 17:04:29 roadhazardantergos systemd[1]: Failed to start Light Display Manager.

Full log at https://pastebin.com/4zTzj0Ur

I switched to GDM and that made no difference.

PS I tried using that ptpb.pw site but I think it’s dead or gone?

• @RoadHazard said in Fresh install of Antergos 19.4 and LTS kernel won't boot:

nvidia-lts

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/nvidia-lts/ —> Flagged out-of-date on 2019-04-28

This seems to not work with current linux-lts, i would take nvidia-dkms package as it will build nvidia-modules against all installed kernels.

sudo pacman -S nvidia-lts linux-lts-headers linux-headers

edit wrong package here read what @manuel is givin under here ✍ : sudo pacman -S nvidia-dkms linux-lts-headers linux-headers

and yes

PS I tried using that ptpb.pw site but I think it’s dead or gone?

take 'journalctl -b -0 | curl -F ‘f:1=<-’ ix.io` instead.

• @joekamprad said in Fresh install of Antergos 19.4 and LTS kernel won't boot:

journalctl -b -0 | curl -F ‘f:1=<-’ ix.io

Carried out the steps you requested and LTS kernel still refuses to boot. New log: https://pastebin.com/a2eHk6bG

• @RoadHazard Interested in knowing the hardware. Motherboard brand, model, Memory type and size, Processor is a Xeon and Video card is Nvidia GTX 670?

• @RoadHazard
    Try

sudo pacman -S --needed nvidia-dkms linux-lts-headers linux-headers

i.e. the dkms version of nvidia.

• may need to uninstall nvidia-lts then too, as nvidia-dkms is not conflicting with it …

sudo pacman -R nvidia-lts

• @joekamprad
    Thanks for adding. 😃

• @ricklinux said in Fresh install of Antergos 19.4 and LTS kernel won't boot:

@RoadHazard Interested in knowing the hardware. Motherboard brand, model, Memory type and size, Processor is a Xeon and Video card is Nvidia GTX 670?

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
    4, 8GB sticks for a total of 32 gigs of DDR3 RAM (generic low speed plain Jane stuff)
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
    GPU: Nvidia 670GTX

• @manuel @joekamprad

That fixed it!!!

When I typed this command:

sudo pacman -S --needed nvidia-dkms linux-lts-headers linux-headers

I got this back: nvidia-dkms and nvidia are in conflict. Remove nvidia? [y/N]

At first, I entered ‘n’ and everything stopped.

Then I typed this:

sudo pacman -R nvidia-lts

… and got the same message. So the 2nd time around, I entered ‘y’ to remove nvidia.

Then I used the command from manuel and the drivers installed. I restarted my machine and I’m now booted into the LTS kernel!! The only thing I noticed was that my system took a tiny bit longer to get to the desktop but it loaded up just fine.

FWIW, I carried out another experiment and put a spare SSD into this same system and tried Manjaro and it resulted in the same outcome… black screen with the LTS kernel loaded. I won’t bother trying your fix with Manjaro as I like Antergos more.

Now the $64,000 question… being a newbie, can somebody break down what exactly the DKMS drivers might have fixed? Explain as if you’re talking to a small child. :)

Joe, I think originally, your first step had me (among other packages) install nvidia-lts vs nvidia-dkms. Is there any sort of performance penalty (gaming wise) using the Nvidia DKMS drivers? Are the DKMS drivers inferior in any way?

All in all, thank you all for the assistance! Another monetary donation headed your way!

• @RoadHazard
    Thanks for supporting Antergos!

nvidia-dkms contains source code that is compiled in your system when you install it. Non-dkms packages are precompiled elsewhere, so they are faster to install.

But it seems that the dkms versions are usually more up to date than the non-dkms versions, so I’d prefer the dkms versions.

In addition, source codes of various packages do typically have dependencies of source codes of other packages. Thus it is best to compile them using the same source code base, i.e. locally at your own machine.

Does this story help anything? 😅

• @RoadHazard Nice set up. GTX 670 takes same driver base as my as my GTX 1060. I had some issues with the nvidia too so i am also using nvidia-dkms. I also use the Cinnamon desktop and other than the Nvidia issue i don’t have too many other problems pop up.

• @manuel Yep, that covers it, thanks for the detailed reply!

• @ricklinux Good to know that I can expect smooth sailing with my setup, thanks for helping out!

kernel151 fresh43 lts19 19.41 Posts 13Views 127
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.