• user password

New to Antergos, installed it the other day, so far ok. I don’t recall getting prompted for a root and a user password. Users and groups does not seem to have a feature for this. Am I missing something?

• you were asked to create a password on installation, Antergos uses the same password for initial created user and root.
    But may you want to ask something else, so please give more details on your issue.

• @yonnie said in user password:

New to Antergos, installed it the other day, so far ok. I don’t recall getting prompted for a root and a user password. Users and groups does not seem to have a feature for this. Am I missing something?

As joekamprad said, at installation Antergos uses the same password for your defined user and root. It does this because it assumes most users will use sudo. I cut my computer teeth on UNIX many decades ago and as such I am old school and do not ever use sudo. When sudo is enabled, if someone hacks your user password, through sudo they now have access to ALL your system files and your computer will likely be a paper weight. With a different password for user and root AND sudo disabled, if someone hacks your user password, your essential system files are still protected by the root password.

If you want to change the root password to something different than the user password, do the following as user.
    $ sudo passwd
    You will receive a notice about do you really want to use sudo. Go ahead and type in your user’s password. Then change your root password to whatever you want.

With most modern distros, you cannot totally remove sudo without breaking your OS. You can thank Canonical and Ubuntu for that. But you can disable it by removing ALL users from the wheel group.

$ su
    enter your root password, then as root enter
    id username
    uid=1000(username) gid=1000(username groups = 1000(username),985(wheel)

“uid = real user id” “gid = effective id” “groups = all groups the user belongs to”. Your results may vary, but the main thing is to see that username is in the wheel group. To eliminate username from using sudo, as root remove username from the wheel group.
    gpasswd -d username wheel
    do another “id username” command and the user should be removed from the wheel group.

Now you HAVE to su (switch user) and use your root password to get to the root prompt, then issue your CLI commands as root.

references:
    id command
    sudo and su

rwxr-xr-x. 2 djb users 4096 Apr 21 18:29 MyFile
    In the above the user “djb” is the real user id
    “users” is the effective user id.
    So the user “djb” and anyone in the “user” group can access “MyFile” with the following permissions
    rwx for djb
    r-x for anyone in the “user” group.

• @pudge we better could wait till @yonnie clearify what exactly is the issue.

password38 Posts 4Views 37
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.