• Nvidia GTX 1060 Black Screen Entering Lts Kernel

Running 418.56-1 drivers and all is good on 5.0.9 kernel. Nvidia-lts is installed and was working previously but there have been a number of driver updates. Now it is giving me a black screen again. Tried reinstalling and still the same.

• Okay…so i installed the Nvidia Installer and ran nvidia-installer -t and it reports there is no driver available for the current lts kernel. It was working before but i know the lts kernels have been updated a number of times. So i guess i’m SOL?

• take dkms package for nvidia should give you a solution, as it will build modules for each installed kernel:

sudo pacman -S nvidia-dkms

And also work around for lota black screens as it will rebuild modules automatic if kernel gets updated.
    I do use this for more then a year without any black screen here ;)

problem is true as:
    linux-lts 4.19.36-1
    and:
    nvidia-lts:
    Dependency:
    linux-lts>=4.19.34

This happens some times at Archlinux that nvidia-lts or nvidia driver packages not updated exactly together with kernels… dkms package work around this unstability…

• @joekamprad Thanks …i’ll try that and see if it works. I uninstalled nvidia-lts so i only need to install dkms or both?

• @ricklinux
    nvidia-dkms is enough. In addition you need linux kernel headers, linux-headers for linux and linux-lts-headers for linux-lts.

• @manuel Okay i tried installing it while i was in booted into the lts kernel and i got black screen on boot into 5.0.9 kernel. So i guess i am supposed to install it while in the 5.0.9 kernel? I reinstalled all Nvidia in the 5.0.9 kernel and i wait for your reply. I don’t have an understanding of what the headers actually do and dkms. What does dkms stand for? Dependency Kernel Module System?? What do the headers actually do?

• @ricklinux https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dynamic_Kernel_Module_Support
    It detects installed kernels and build modules tagged as dkms versions, if kernel is updated it will automatic install new nvidia modules // Driver to fit installed kernels.
    It does not matter which one is running at this time.

kernel headers are scripts and modules to build the kernel related modules (like the one you need for nvidia)

• @joekamprad So why did it cause the 5.0.9 to turn black screen? I’m confused now. So if i am in the 5.0.9 kernel now and nvidia is all installed and everything is working fine. What do i need to install to get the 4.19.36 lts working? nvidia-dkms or more such as linux-lts-headers and any others?

• @joekamprad Do i also need the nvidia-lts?

• nvidia-dkms is replacing both nvidia and nvidia-lts, check the output of install process to see if it is building both modules:

(1/1) Installiere nvidia-dkms                                                                                                   [##############################################################################] 100%
    :: Starte post-transaction hooks...
    (1/4) Install DKMS modules
    ==> dkms install nvidia/418.56 -k 4.19.36-1-lts
    ==> dkms install nvidia/418.56 -k 5.0.9-arch1-1-ARCH

• @joekamprad Yes i realize it builds both so you are saying just install nvidia-dkms? So the dkms just rebuilds the kernel drivers each time there is an update to the nvidia drivers? I’m just trying to understand? So i guess what i’m wondering is if a new nvidia driver is out it may not work on the lts? Can you have two different drivers one on the current kernel and one for the lts or no?

• The Nvidia module will be rebuilt after every Nvidia or kernel update thanks to the DKMS pacman hook.
    It is independent from the two packages (nvidia nvidia-lts) so it will update nvidia drivers automatic for both kernels installed, and this will be the same version of nvidia driver.
    nvidia modules need to be building against the kernel under which the will run.

• @joekamprad Okay so i sort of get. So when i updated Nvidia drivers in the 5.0.9 kernel what you’re saying is that it doesn’t update the lts kernel hence the black screen? I am trying to understand your previous post also?

problem is true as:
    linux-lts 4.19.36-1
    and:
    nvidia-lts:
    Dependency:
    linux-lts>=4.19.34

• @ricklinux
    Currently I have installed:

$ pacman -Qs nvidia
    local/lib32-libvdpau 1.2-1
        Nvidia VDPAU library
    local/lib32-nvidia-utils 418.56-1
        NVIDIA drivers utilities (32-bit)
    local/libvdpau 1.2-1
        Nvidia VDPAU library
    local/libxnvctrl 418.56-1
        NVIDIA NV-CONTROL X extension
    local/nvidia-dkms 418.56-9
        NVIDIA driver sources for linux
    local/nvidia-installer 1.17-2
        Script to setup nvidia drivers in Antergos
    local/nvidia-utils 418.56-1
        NVIDIA drivers utilities

and

$ pacman -Qs linux-lts
    local/linux-lts 4.19.36-1
        The Linux-lts kernel and modules
    local/linux-lts-headers 4.19.36-1
        Header files and scripts for building modules for Linux-lts kernel

and

$ pacman -Q linux linux-headers
    linux 5.0.9.arch1-1
    linux-headers 5.0.9.arch1-1

With this setup, all kernel and nvidia updates are “automatic” and work well.

I’m sometimes using the LTS kernel, and sometimes the default kernel.

• @manuel This is what i’m trying to get at. Currently i have installed nvidia by way of pacman in the 5.0.9 kernel.

sudo pacman -S nvidia nvidia-utils lib32-nvidia-libgl nvidia-settings nvidia-lts

So do i only need to install nvidia-dkms or do i need to install linux-headers and linux-lts-headers also?

Before the lts kernel was working but there have been a couple or more nvidia updates and now black screen. Just trying to understand what i need and why?

• @manuel said in Nvidia GTX 1060 Black Screen Entering Lts Kernel:

pacman -Q linux linux-headers

This is what i have installed.

[[email protected] ~]$ pacman -Qs nvidia
    local/libvdpau 1.2-1
        Nvidia VDPAU library
    [[email protected] ~]$ pacman -Qs linux-lts
    [[email protected] ~]$ pacman -Q linux linux-headers
    linux 5.0.9.arch1-1
    linux-headers 5.0.9.arch1-1
    [[email protected] ~]$ 

• @manuel Sorry, i’m on the wrong system… I have to post the correct output! Yes and they all have Antergos!

• @manuel said in Nvidia GTX 1060 Black Screen Entering Lts Kernel:

pacman -Q linux linux-headers

Sorry for the confusion. This is the problem when you have too many computers! ☹ I feel so dumb!

[[email protected] ~]$ pacman -Qs nvidia
    local/lib32-nvidia-utils 418.56-1
        NVIDIA drivers utilities (32-bit)
    local/libvdpau 1.2-1
        Nvidia VDPAU library
    local/libxnvctrl 418.56-1
        NVIDIA NV-CONTROL X extension
    local/nvidia 418.56-9
        NVIDIA drivers for linux
    local/nvidia-installer 1.17-2
        Script to setup nvidia drivers in Antergos
    local/nvidia-settings 418.56-1
        Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
    local/nvidia-utils 418.56-1
        NVIDIA drivers utilities
    local/xf86-video-nouveau 1.0.16-1 (xorg-drivers)
        Open Source 3D acceleration driver for nVidia cards
    [[email protected] ~]$ pacman -Qs linux-lts
    [[email protected] ~]$ pacman -Q linux linux-headers
    linux 5.0.9.arch1-1
    error: package 'linux-headers' was not found
    [[email protected] ~]$ 

• @manuel @joekamprad So i have the 418.56-1 driver installed and no kernel headers on the 5.0.9 kernel. I have the lts kernel installed and lts headers.

So do i need to install nvidia-lts or is that already there? and do i need to install linux-headers for the 5.0.9 kernel and also dkms?

• @ricklinux 😵

What do you want?

Getting back to the state before ? with nvidia and nvidia-lts installed?

If you want to use nvidia-dkms you need to install nvidia-dkms and headers for both installed kernels!

linux-lts-headers and linux-headers

nvidia166 Posts 23Views 183
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.