• No audio

Wondering what I should do with the following information if I wanted to finally get audio working on this machine.

In the system settings, I’m getting the message that there are no audio output devices detected. However, when I look into alsamixer, I see that there are two devices, one of which has actual volume settings but is not set as the default.

• @mattwong Click on speaker and go into sound settings Ouput…click on line out and test sound & ckeck volume level. See if there is anything here first.

• @ricklinux Where is that?

• @mattwong The speaker Icon …mine is on the task bar but i use Cinnamon desktop so could be different or not there.

• I use KDE. What do you mean by line out, test sound, and check volume level?

• @mattwong Yes it has a test there…shows speakers.

• @mattwong Did you check alsamixer from terminal?

Screenshot from 2019-04-22 21-16-31.png

Screenshot from 2019-04-22 21-16-39.png

• @ricklinux lspci | grep -i audio

• e3d60c49-a7c2-466f-b3df-e9b477afcad6-image.png
    17eebb0a-3373-43d0-bf3e-b5cd0fca2f98-image.png
    7540d2b3-08ac-46a1-9d79-9a34a92b89bd-image.png

This is what I have for those things

• @mattwong Auto mute mode is enabled by the looks of it.

Press right arrow to get to “auto-mute mode”, then up or down arrow to change it, then Escape to exit.

• @mattwong Also try F6 to select the correct sound device.

• @mattwong Try open pavucontrol from terminal and set output device.

• I selected the Realtek, disabled the auto-mute, and tried opening pavucontrol.

pavucontrol is always stuck establishing a connection to pulseaudio, and every time I reboot, the auto-mute is enabled again.

• @mattwong Maybe @joekamprad can advise more as he wrote the book on this. ☺

• @ricklinux

now on Amazon!

joekamprad: on audio at linux

• @mattwong said in No audio:

pavucontrol is always stuck establishing a connection to pulseaudio

That’s where the problem is buried ?

try to remove the pulsesettings and reboot for a first try:

rm -R ~/.config/pulse

Pulseaudio is mostly working together with alsa but in most cases do not need a setup for alsa (using automatic defaults) [ Alsa is used as a Back-end only]
    So seting up sound should work with pulseaudio tools like pavucontrol:
    Bildschirmfoto vom 2019-04-23 22-40-16.png
    in some cases you will need to disable one device to get the other one unmuted…
    I got this if i want to run Bluetooth headset, where i need to put hdmi audio device to OFF, but if i remember right it is also possible to enable simultaneous output with paprefs to get all devices working together:
    Bildschirmfoto vom 2019-04-23 22-45-11.png

To get a deeper info on devices from pulseaudio:

pactl list sinks

• @joekamprad Thanks for the reply! I tried removing the configs, rebooting, then running pavucontrol, but it still gives me the same problem. I’ve also tried the procedure without rebooting without any luck. I think it is a part of the problem, but pactl list sinks is returning a failed connection error.

• @joekamprad This is funny! 😃

• @mattwong i can have a deeper look later this day.
    Can you provide info on hardware and boot?

lspci > log.txt && lsusb >> log.txt && journalctl -b -0 >> log.txt && cat log.txt | curl -F 'f:1=<-' ix.io

Simple run in terminal an paste the url/link it gives out

audio50 Posts 79Views 307
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.