• Tool to back up the root partition

On my XP and Linux Mint Debian machines I create once in while images of the system partition (Windows) and root partition (Linux Mint Debian). Currently I am installing my future workhorse PC with Antergos. As I am an newbie I want to create an root image after each important installation step. Whenever I mess up the next step I can go back to last image saved.

Sofar I always used Acronis and it worked very fine. But Acronis doesn’t work on my Antergos machine.
    What happened is that, in the list of drives to be backed up, I can see my external HDD to which I want to write the image. However this HDD cannot be seen when I need to select a drive to store the image of the root-drive. Actually no partition is to be seen at all for selection of the place to write the image to. Can this be related to the Antergos?

Beside the above question my main question is if there is tool - ideally Linux based - which can be used to create images of the root partition and re-install this image when needed?

Thanks in advance for your hints!

• On my XP and Linux Mint Debian machines I create once in while images of the system partition (Windows) and root partition (Linux Mint Debian). Currently I am installing my future workhorse PC with Antergos. As I am an newbie I want to create an root image after each important installation step. Whenever I mess up the next step I can go back to last image saved.

Sofar I always used Acronis and it worked very fine. But Acronis doesn’t work on my Antergos machine.
    What happened is that, in the list of drives to be backed up, I can see my external HDD to which I want to write the image. However this HDD cannot be seen when I need to select a drive to store the image of the root-drive. Actually no partition is to be seen at all for selection of the place to write the image to. Can this be related to the Antergos?

Beside the above question my main question is if there is tool - ideally Linux based - which can be used to create images of the root partition and re-install this image when needed?

Thanks in advance for your hints!

• Simplest tool I know for this kind of task is rsync. It will made a copy 1:1 of given directory.
    I have alias to perform full-root-backup.

alias reisersync='rsync -avx --delete /home/username/backups/latest /home/username/backups/previous && rsync -avx --delete / /home/username/backups/latest'

You can call it via:

sudo reisersync

You have to create backups/* dirs manually. This alias will create for You two backups - “latest” and “previous” (if something with current configuration is already broken, it is good thing to have backup of backup ;p).

It won’t create ISO for you, but recovery and backup process is very fast. And of course You have to change paths, if You want to use it.
    Some people said, that it’s a good thing to exclude some files (like /etc/fstab for example).

GUI version of above is program LuckyBackup.

But if you really need an ISO, I would recommend Clonezilla. There are plenty of tutorials how to use it to backup Linux.

• Thank you very much for your detailed explanation.

As far as I understand the rsync tool It requires that Linux is running. But what I would like to have is a tool which has its own simple OS and can run from a CD or USB stick. The reason is that I can re-install an image whenever the root is messed up. (This happened recently to me and I needed to install Antergos from scratch and re-do all customization done so far.)

Therefore I am very grateful to you for mentioning Clonezilla. As far as I understand it right now, Clonezilla has its own OS and can run from a CD or USB stick.

Should someone have some more - ideally experienced based - information on Clonezilla, I do appreciate any comment.

Posts 4Views 1394