• Problems with Dual Boot Installation of Live USB Stick

As far as i understand installer do not allow to start install, also after indicates / (root) and /boot/efi as green … Or do you now only have /boot/efi green and not selected /(root) as ext4 ?

• https://antergos.com/wiki/install/how-to-dual-boot-antergos-windows-uefi-expanded-by-linuxhat/

Wiki is still valid and shows every step to install dualboot with windows.

• @joekamprad This is what i was thinking that a small step is being missed? Maybe not formatting the / so installer won’t continue if the check box isn’t selected because he’s starting with an unallocated space. I’m just saying that if he was going through the installer steps then the usb has booted. I’m trying to understand at what stage is it failing or is it still just not continuing on from the same point. Some of the posts after are that it doesn’t recognize the disc? I know it makes a difference where you download etcher from for Windows. Some don’t work properly … so i get it from the main site. Originally he had used rufus.

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

A little more information is needed for clarity.

• @ricklinux at a loss … I can well understand, I am the same. At the decisive point in the installation process there is an Edit dialog that allows you to edit the selected partition, for example to create a new pation table. But I have to try it out in peace. For me there is no time pressure.

• @mr-ed Honestly i think you are just misunderstanding the process of the installer. Your 250 GB drive that has Windows installed on it has an unallocated space of 100.28 GB. When you go to install it you want to use this unallocated space and create a / partition at minimum. That’s all you really need. You can create a /home partition and a swap partition but it’s not necessary. If you create the / partition using the unallocated space you could use as much space as you would like of it. The / partition has to be formatted to ext4. So i think there is a check box beside it when you create it to tell the installer to format it. Then the only other thing you have to do is set the EFI partition that is already there in windows to /boot/efi. You do that by mounting it …so click on the /dev/sda2 and edit the settings to be /boot/efi. Do not format the EFi partition. It remains Fat32 as your Windows boot files are on it. Then both boxes should have a green check mark in them. Both root and EFI. Grub2 will be installed on/dev/sda which is correct. You should be able to continue now with the install. Click on the arrow at the top right to continue even if it looks greyed out. If the boxes have green checks in them it’s ready to install. There is no reason for it not to install if these parameters are met unless you have not done something correctly. From here is where we need information. Creating a root only is the easiest and most simple setup for anyone that may not understand the partitioning scheme because there are other ways of setting it up. Having a /home directory and a swap directory and or a separate /boot directory are other options but not necessary. You have enough ram so swap will never get used and your processor and board are good. If you get errors on the install process after this is what information is needed. The pictures i have included are from your original post where you had created a 40 GB / and the 68 GB Free space is left over. Since you never got any further the 100.28 GB unallocated space should still be there unless the installer actually created the 40 GB /. If it did then all you have to do is go through the same process but you would mount the 40 GB / and edit the settings to tell the installer to use that space for / and format it to ext4 and then set the EFI partition to /boot/efi and not format it. It’s the same process …you are just telling the installer to either create the / partition or use an existing partition. Unallocated space is not a partition and is in raw format. I hope this makes more sense and doesn’t add more confusion. Read over the install guide again and don’t give up we are here to help.

https://antergos.com/wiki/install/how-to-dual-boot-antergos-windows-uefi-expanded-by-linuxhat/

598348e1-80f9-4582-a49c-2c4fbb697f3c-image.png

15776adb-bf1c-469c-9860-4a9bf30f19b2-image.png

• @ricklinux

Truely good howto

• If you click on /dev/sda2 “Bearbeiten” Button gets activ and a pop up let you choose what to do with this partition, here you can choose mountpoint /boot/efi and make sure to not format and not change filesystemtype.

• Thanks for your work here. It was my mistake and maybe also an inaccuracy in the installation description. You really have to choose the free space first and then set it up. Then you have to edit sda2 and set it up as boot&efi without formatting it. I was very close to the solution. But then the Antergos installation process was aborted. And now I don’t have Windows anymore. Only my Antergos USB Live Stick, from which I now send this.

• @mr-ed What do you mean? You don’t have Windows anymore? If you followed the instructions and created the / partition in the unallocated space Windows should not have been touched. Is Antergos installed then? You can boot off the Antergos stick and run gparted and send me a picture of the result so i can look at it. Why was the install process aborted?

• @mr-ed Normally after the install of Antergos you would in then run some commands in the terminal if necessary to find your Windows installation and update grub. You may have just lost your Windows boot loader and may be able to salvage this if you can get Antergos installed if you haven’t done anything to affect the Windows partitions so please provide the picture from gparted. It may be because you had to abort the install for what ever reason.

• @ricklinux said in Problems with Dual Boot Installation of Live USB Stick:

It may be because you had to abort the install for what ever reason.

Yes, I think I had to abort. But now I habe a new installation. Anergos is running, but no Windows anymore. I also don’t have a German keyboard anymore, although I specified this in the installation dialog for Antergos.

• @mr-ed Did you wipe out Windows? I asked for you to send me the gparted picture.

• @mr-ed Also you can go into system settings, keyboard, layouts and add the language you want by clicking on the + sign and adding it.

• @mr-ed Bitte führen Sie gparted aus und senden Sie mir das Bild, damit ich die Partitionen sehen kann. Vielen Dank.

• @mr-ed If your Windows partitions are intact. You can go launch the terminal and add Windows to the Grub. If you send me the gparted picture i can tell you and give you instructions.

• @mr-ed So I think you have Antergos installed then but you haven’t posted a picture of gparted. I’m trying to determine if your Windows partitions are still intact.

• @mr-ed said in Problems with Dual Boot Installation of Live USB Stick:

Yes, I think I had to abort. But now I habe a new installation. Anergos is running, but no Windows anymore. I also don’t have a German keyboard anymore, although I specified this in the installation dialog for Antergos.

Not sure what you’ve done but if your Windows partitions are not affected by this you can do the following. Open the terminal to become root and type these commands and enter after each:
    su
    Then after you are root type:
    os-prober
    This will find your Windows
    Then type:
    grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    Then reboot.
    This will add Windows to Grub boot loader.

• @ricklinux wait wait let @mr-ed get back first… Thread is already unreadable long…

• Yes, thanks @joekamprad! I just need a little time. I will deliver shots from gparted in time! Yesterday evening I managed to install from my Live USB Stick from Antergos on my system. I installed Antergos in the unpartitioned part of my SSD (sda), mount as /. Then I edited the partition sda2 created by Windows and specified boot/efi as mount point. I didn’t create a SWAP partition (no SWAP file). I could name some other things to keep in mind when setting up Antergos. I hope I keep everything in mind. My last message here was written under Windows 10.

When restarting the computer, that was already in the night, I was not offered Windows anymore. Immediately Antergos started. (Offtopic: I had to go to my girlfriend around 2:30 o’clock because our two dogs had run away from her. Now everything is okay with them again!)

Was today at noon at my dealer. He recommended a program called EasyBCD (or something) to manage the Dual Boot. But this only runs from Windows. I think that’s another topic, maybe among newbies, especially since this thread gets very confusing and doesn’t necessarily help other users anymore.

After all, I managed to get the Linux version of my beloved keepass program running and to access my internal hard disk D (sdb), where I stored my current data under sdb2. So I have all my passwords back, so I could log in here in this forum for example.

By the way, I write all these things here with the help of deepl, which I think is a very good translation program. My more than 50 years old school English is now so rusty that I can no longer easily move around in it.

My goal here, in this thread, would be to finish this topic “Antergo’s installation under Windows using a USB Live Stick” so that maybe some people can learn something from it. As I said, my Antergos runs fine, and I’m starting to learn something about Linux. Problems are not always bad. They also give us the opportunity to learn something new. If we’re just persistent enough!

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

• Hier die Shots von gparted:

Bildschirmfoto von 2019-04-20 17-04-02.png

Bildschirmfoto von 2019-04-20 17-07-06.png

Bildschirmfoto von 2019-04-20 17-07-24.png

Bildschirmfoto von 2019-04-20 17-07-52.png

Ich möchte das SSD Laufwerk (sda) möglichst schlank halten, also Nutzerdaten, egal ob von Windows oder von Linux, auf der großen internen Festplatte (sdb) speichern. Deren zweite Partition (sdb2), unter Windows mit “Erst mal” benannt, ist im Moment noch so dick, weil ich dort viele Dateien aus meinem alten Windows 7 Rechner aufbewahre.

installation326 boot320 live59 dual40 Posts 148Views 392
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.