• Problems with Dual Boot Installation of Live USB Stick

@mr-ed I looked at the manual for your MSI board. You have to make sure that Fast Boot is Off. I see that your setting for secure boot mode is set to Custom. That means that the keys can be loaded manually for secure boot instead of the standard setting which loads them from Bios. Secure boot has to be disabled which i think you said you have done but the keys have to be removed or unloaded as they call it.
    So what i’m saying is:
    Secure Boot Off
    Fast Boot Off
    Secure Keys Unloaded

Then you should not have any problem booting Antergos on usb. When you boot Antergos on usb you can try live usb and if that doesn’t work choose cd/dvd instead. It seems to work when live usb doesn’t. You may have other issues depending on what graphics adapter you have. But start from here and well see. You won’t have success booting if fast boot is not off and keys unloaded even if secure boot is off. All settings need to be this way.

• @mr-ed If you still have an issue disable Windows 10 WHQL Support but i don’t think you need to. This just sets UEFI only i think. The settings are slightly different than my Asus board in the wording of it. You want to use UEFI with GPT partitioning anyway.

• @mr-ed I don’t know what the rest of your hardware is but this is an excellent motherboard.

• @ricklinux
    I’m not sure the secure boot keys need to be deleted. I have a HP machine that has Secure boot disabled, but I didn’t delete the original keys.

• Hello @manuel, @ricklinux and @joekamprad! Many thanks again! We can end the discussion about Etcher or Rufus. Etcher somehow doesn’t work for me. Rufus has created an usable Live USB Stick, even without dd mode, which leads to the same result as the burned Antergos ISO DVD.

I was able to create the Linux file requested by @joekamprad. But my problem is that it is too big for a transfer here in the forum.

I followed @ricklinux’s advice to disable Fast Boot without any useful result. Whether Secure Boot is really “Off”, I don’t know yet. @manuel also says that he is not sure if the corresponding boot keys have to be deleted. I won’t do anything about that for now.

Today I went through the installation routine for Antergos again and took a lot of screenshots to make the whole thing understandable. Maybe we’ll go through it step by step? Maybe via chat? I’m not under time pressure, but maybe it could help other users who have similar problems?

Best regards

• @manuel That MSI board has two fast boot settings. One is an MSI feature to boot the board and take you directly into the Bios screen. The other one is the normal fast boot screen. I suggested they both be turned off. The MSI fast boot probably isn’t a problem and i think it’s default is disabled anyway. I think the keys have to be unloaded for secure boot but i don’t know for sure that it is required. I’m having difficulty understanding why it’s not booting on the usb drive. If he has an Intel processor it most likely has onboard video which wouldn’t be an issue. I’m not sure whether he has an additional graphics card or not. I just know on my board which is very similar other than it is an Asus. It is a different chipset but is an Intel board with most of the same type of components. I disabled secure boot and removed the keys on mine. That’s what i did on mine because. Secure boot is part of a firmware standard specification (UEFI) that blocks untrusted operating systems from booting. It (debatably) secures the EFI partition which is read first during boot. No passwords are required. It uses manually or automatically generated keys. As far as i’m concerned secure boot is a Windows thing and has no place in Linux. But that’s just my thought on it. On some boards it may think secure boot is still on if the keys are not unloaded maybe?

• @mr-ed said in Problems with Dual Boot Installation of Live USB Stick:

I was able to create the Linux file requested by @joekamprad. But my problem is that it is too big for a transfer here in the forum.

The command for boot log will upload the file to pastebin service, so you can post the link it shows up at the end, bo need to upload again…

• @mr-ed
    The screenshots may be quite useful, so please go ahead with them. But please show them here (and maybe start a new thread as this is already very long). Chat has very limited capabilities, and chat results are not visible to others who might gain from the discussion.

• @ricklinux
    There are AFAIK many different motherboard implementations of Secure boot. That’s why I don’t know if the keys should be deleted or not. Here I didn’t have to.

• @manuel Do we know the rest of @mr-ed hardware? Maybe he could use inxi and post.
    inxi -Fxxc0

• @ricklinux
    This thread is already very long and difficult to search… I think we don’t know all hardware details yet. That inxi command would be helpful.

• @mr-ed yes… but i am without any real linux system till monday… Hard to read logs on mobile device…
    Fly over it… There are some indicator for unusual …
    But it will need also the logs from the failed install under:

/var/log/cnchi/

• @mr-ed Do you have any screen shots of the boot from usb?

• @joekamprad Like I said, no time pressure at all! My Windows 10 runs reasonably well, so I’m in touch. In the long run I want to switch to Linux Antergos. But that’s not urgent!

• @ricklinux Yeah, I have a lot of screenshots. But we have to consider if we’re going to open this in a new thread or if we’re going to continue this here. Right now are involved besides you and me: @manuel, @joekamprad. Suggestions welcome!

• @mr-ed i would bet it is a bug inside installer… So logs from a failed install would help a lot…

• @joekamprad Error in Antergos Installer? (I always look for the errors first with me.)

• @joekamprad There doesn’t have to be a bug in the installer, but maybe there is a bug in the description or descriptions, because there are several of them.

• @mr-ed I’m kind of at a loss here because originally from your first post you had the installer at the stage where you created a 40 GB root partition but the next arrow was greyed out. So I explained to you you needed to mount /dev/sda2 and set it to /boot/EFI. So at that stage the usb install disk is working. If you are manually creating the partitions you need at minimum a root partition which has to be formatted ext4 and when you mount the fat 32 EFI partition that already exists you do not format it but it has to be set /boot/efi. So after setting secure boot off and fast boot off are you still getting to the same stage or is something else happening? I just don’t have enough information.

installation326 boot320 live59 dual40 Posts 148Views 392
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.