• Problems with Dual Boot Installation of Live USB Stick

Hello everyone, maybe someone can help me? The first system I use is Windows 10 64 Bit. It runs on a 250 GB SSD drive. There is also enough free, unpartitioned memory:
    Screenshot from 2019-04-13 17-53-05.png
    In the course of the installation, it always stops at the following point, meaning that the top right arrow remains gray:
    Screenshot from 2019-04-13 17-59-13.png
    I also tried “EFI ( /boot/efi )”. My fairly new computer is designed for GPT/UEFI. I also tried the button “New partition table” (“Neue Partitionstabelle”). Nothing happened.

• @mr-ed You have to edit the EFI (/boot/efi) also when running the install by selecting /dev/sda2 and choose /boot/efi and do not format it as it has your windows boot on it so it remains as is with FAT 32. This will install the EFI boot for Antergos that resides in the same EFI partition. Again caution…do not format the Fat32 partition. Just edit the settings to make it /boot/efi and then the red circle with a line through it should also have a green check mark.

• Thanks, I think I get what you mean. It’s supposed to be a dual boot system. Windows is already listed there. Now I have to register Antergos on /dev/sda2 as well. Right like that?

• @mr-ed You just need to edit the settings to tell it to use the EFI partition as /boot/efi but don’t format it. The red circle will turn green check mark then and installer should continue.

• @mr-ed
    Like @ricklinux said, you need to mount (not format) the EFI partition /dev/sda2 to /boot/efi in the installer.

But if that doesn’t help on your system, could you show the output of the following commands:

sudo fdisk -l
    lsblk -fm

• Thanks for the clues! I have now tried again to select the /dev/sda2 partition. I then have a green check mark and “EFI ( /boot/efi )” is displayed as active at the bottom. Nevertheless, the arrow to the right at the top of the window remains gray. When I then select “free space” and click on “new”, I am prompted again to name a mount point. This fails.
    By the way, I can no longer save screenshots of my Live USB installation on my hard drive. So here are two shots I took from Windows.

win10datenträgerverwaltung.png
    “Datenträger 0 Partition 2” will be /dev/sda2 partition.

win10systemkonfiguration.png
    The marked line tells me that no other system is registered as boot system yet.

• @mr-ed
    The last picture AFAIK is not going to show any Linux line. Windows does not (natively) support Linux this way.

When you start the machine to BIOS (that is, before any OS starts, press key F2 or F10 or what your machine has preset), you should be able to select which OS to boot by default.

But there are some things to check first:

1. have you disabled Secure Boot in BIOS?
    2. how did you create the USB installer stick? Did you use etcher?
    3. can you show the output of the commands I mentioned previously? You can do it by starting a terminal (in the installer) and simply give the commands at the terminal.

BTW, is it possible to take pictures of the failures and show them here?

EDIT: here are some instructions (note that they may be a bit old but basically should work, you need to slightly adjust them to fit your system):
    https://antergos.com/wiki/install/how-to-dual-boot-antergos-windows-uefi-expanded-by-linuxhat/
    https://antergos.com/wiki/install/installing-antergos-2/

• Sorry I’m just answering now. I tried all the things again. I typed the two lines behind the prompt. Result:

1. fdisk: invalid option --‘1’
    [[email protected] ~]$ sudo fdisk -1
    fdisk: invalid option -- '1'
    Try 'fdisk --help' for more information.
    [[email protected] ~]$ lsblk -fm
    NAME FSTYPE LABEL UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINT   SIZE OWNER GROUP MODE
    loop0
         squash                                                  0   100% /run/archi     2G             brw-rw----
    sda                                                                              232.9G             brw-rw----
    ├─sda1
    │    ntfs   Wiederherstellung
    │                 8878555E78554C56                                                 499M             brw-rw----
    ├─sda2
    │    vfat         0E55-80D7                                                         99M             brw-rw----
    ├─sda3
    │                                                                                   16M             brw-rw----
    └─sda4
         ntfs         E0F85655F8562A54                                                 132G             brw-rw----
    sdb                                                                                1.8T             brw-rw----
    ├─sdb1
    │                                                                                   16M             brw-rw----
    └─sdb2
         ntfs   Erst mal
                      3260C30C60C2D5AF                                               882.3G             brw-rw----
    sdc                                                                               57.3G             brw-rw----
    ├─sdc1
    │    ntfs   ANTERGOS
    │                 E8E8B3E7E8B3B1E4                       28.4G     7% /run/archi  30.7G             brw-rw----
    └─sdc2
         vfat   UEFI_NTFS
                      211D-AC99                              23.1G     0% /run/media  23.2G             brw-rw----
    sr0                                                                               1024M             brw-rw----
    [[email protected] ~]$ 

Maybe this will help? Thanks!

• @mr-ed it must be l not 1

sudo fdisk -l

• Thank you, @joekamprad! If only all problems were so easy to solve!

[[email protected] ~]$ sudo fdisk -l
    Disk /dev/sda: 232.9 GiB, 250059350016 bytes, 488397168 sectors
    Disk model: Samsung SSD 860 
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disklabel type: gpt
    Disk identifier: 7D9840AD-9AE0-46B1-9558-4E2966C036F6

Device       Start       End   Sectors  Size Type
    /dev/sda1     2048   1023999   1021952  499M Windows recovery environment
    /dev/sda2  1024000   1226751    202752   99M EFI System
    /dev/sda3  1226752   1259519     32768   16M Microsoft reserved
    /dev/sda4  1259520 278085631 276826112  132G Microsoft basic data

Disk /dev/sdb: 1.8 TiB, 2000398934016 bytes, 3907029168 sectors
    Disk model: ST2000DM008-2FR1
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disk identifier: CAA04170-3A24-4653-8A0C-9E874DBBDC45

Device     Start        End    Sectors   Size Type
    /dev/sdb1     34      32767      32734    16M Microsoft reserved
    /dev/sdb2  32768 1850413055 1850380288 882.3G Microsoft basic data

Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.

Disk /dev/sdc: 57.3 GiB, 61505273856 bytes, 120127488 sectors
    Disk model: Ultra           
    Disk identifier: 3A9C22C1-AADF-4B34-A5D5-6C230EDBD977

Device        Start       End  Sectors  Size Type
    /dev/sdc1      2048  64307199 64305152 30.7G Microsoft basic data
    /dev/sdc2  71397376 120123391 48726016 23.2G Microsoft basic data

Disk /dev/loop0: 2 GiB, 2189611008 bytes, 4276584 sectors
    [[email protected] ~]$ 

• @mr-ed
    Could you explain the disks you have in the output?
    I guess sda contains Windows and you want to install also Antergos to sda, right?
    Is sdb just a large data disk for Windows?
    And what disk is sdc? Is it the installer? If so, why the ntfs partitions?

Then:

But there are some things to check first:

• have you disabled Secure Boot in BIOS?
    • how did you create the USB installer stick? Did you use etcher?
  • @manuel said in Problems with Dual Boot Installation of Live USB Stick:

I guess sda contains Windows and you want to install also Antergos to sda, right? - Yes!
    Is sdb just a large data disk for Windows? - Yes!
    And what disk is sdc? Is it the installer? If so, why the ntfs partitions? - Yes, Installer Stick! Made by Rufus.

My answers behind your guesses. I’ll see what my Boot Menu says about Secure Boot in BIOS. The installation media (stick, 64 GB) was created with Rufus.

• My “msi click Bios 5” says:
    Secure Boot [Decativated]
    Secure Boot Mode [Standard]

• @mr-ed It looks like you have a Samsung 250 GB SSD and a 2 TB Seagate Hard Drive. The first picture you sent from Windows disk management shows an unallocated space of 100.28 GB and the windows partitioning and installation before it. The gparted commands show the partitions. Could you post the Windows disk management picture of the bottom part to show the 2 TB drive also as it looks like it’s partitioned for data? I just want to make sense of how they have it setup because it looks like the 2 TB is partitioned also for Windows data. Not sure if you are wanting to install Antergos on that 100.28 GB unallocated space but i think that’s what i would do. I’ll let @manuel and @joekamprad give their opinion on this. It would be nice to see the picture of the 2TB drive from windows disk management to verify.

• I’m under Antergos on my live/USB right now. What is the best way to make the 2-TB plate visible?

• @mr-ed I see secure boot is off so tha’s what you need. It would be nice if you could use etcher instead of rufus to create the usb. Etcher works better and no problems.

• @mr-ed You could use the terminal commands again i guess. lsblk -l and lsblk -fm

• @mr-ed
    Thanks for the info! Now we have a better view of the situation.

And yes, like @ricklinux mentioned, please use etcher to flash the installer stick instead of rufus. We’ve had quite many cases where sticks flashed with Rufus haven’t worked correctly. I believe it is not because of Rufus itself, but because of slightly incorrect settings used when flashing with Rufus. So that’s why etcher is recommended.

But please note also that etcher will fully wipe the stick of its previous contents!

• @manuel Do you think he should install it on the 100.28 GB unallocated space on the SSD drive and use all of it?

• @ricklinux
    Why not. SSD is so much faster than the traditional disk. All available SSD space can be used, unless he has other uses for some space. And if required, the space can be repartitioned later, although there’s not much space to reassign.

installation326 boot320 live59 dual40 Posts 148Views 409
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.