• Black screen at login

Hi folks,

New install of Antergos XFCE. On clicking the clock to access the login box, the screen goes black. If I login, it remains black.

I’ve tried switching to a TTY and back, restarted X with ctrl-alt-backspace.

If i press ESC, I can see the “An error was detected in the current theme…” requester. Load Fallback does nothing, Load Default brings me back to the login screen, Cancel gives me a grey screen with a white bar in the center.

GPU is a NV GF Go 7300 if that makes a difference.

EDIT: If i wait after logging in, the desktop does eventually load. The login screen remaining black is still a problem though.

• @JustSomeGeek
    If your display manager is lightdm, you could change it to sddm and see if it helps.

su
    systemctl status lightdm  # shows if it is active. Continue only if it is.
    systemctl disable lightdm
    systemctl enable sddm
    reboot

If not, please show the output of

pacman -Qs nvidia

• @manuel

@manuel said in Black screen at login:

@JustSomeGeek
    If your display manager is lightdm, you could change it to sddm and see if it helps.

su
    systemctl status lightdm  # shows if it is active. Continue only if it is.
    systemctl disable lightdm
    systemctl enable sddm
    reboot

If not, please show the output of

pacman -Qs nvidia

I installed SDDM, and that works fine. Still a long delay until the desktop is visible after login still, but at least it works now. Thanks! :-)

• may GDM is a better choice, but also more hungry as lightdm:
    https://antergos.com/wiki/desktops/installing-display-managers/

• you can always switch to lightdm-gtk-greeter ?

• @ringo32 yes i think also that the webkit greeter often causing this do not show problem
    as i do use lightdm-slick-greeter for almost two years now with no issue like this.
    lightdm-slick-greeter.png

• webkit greeter does not work here on nouveau , like Midori & falkon are also webkit based, most crash comes from it, webkitgreeter does also give always blackscreen

• Thanks for the replies guys. SDDM works, and seems to be lightweight,so i’ll just use it. :-)

• @JustSomeGeek if you install sddm-config-editor-git from aur install, you can select theme to be used. but you need to install themes also :) with discover are themes downloadable from repo but is mostly al qt5 =:) but sddm-config-editor should also work in xfce is lightweight

• Thanks Ringo, but the laptop is for my wife, so I’m keeping it simple and easy for her. :-)

login135 black84 Posts 10Views 138
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.